1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should Xbox Live be free?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ApeXX, Apr 19, 2010.

I am just curious how other Xbox users feel about Xbox Live... Should it be free? I know the PS3 network online play is free, same with the Wii's equivalent online system. Do you feel that the premium content and services offered on Xbox Live are justified by the cost?

Personally, I think it should be something that we pay for, however much less. How about a $50 one time setup fee, or something like $15 a year. Microsoft can then milk people out of their money via the online store instead of membership fees...

ApeXX, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  2. PrestigeRevenue

PrestigeRevenue Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed, I think $50 a year is a little much for some people. I think Microsoft needs to offer a little more for what we pay for because right now I don't really see this "premium content" they speak of.

PrestigeRevenue, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  3. Galactek Designs

Galactek Designs Active Member

Best Answers:
    No it shouldnt be free because then people would be able to cheat because no is monitoring mods etc which costs money

Galactek Designs, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  4. ApeXX

ApeXX Peon

Best Answers:
    They could still add in those features. I guarantee you all of the $50/year Microsoft makes from Xbox Live does not go into supporting just the network itself. What about a price reduction?

ApeXX, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  5. cool_78

cool_78 Guest

Best Answers:
    Well I don't want it to be totally free, maybe reduce the monthly subscription fee to a more reasonable amount.

cool_78, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  6. Mod Hidden

Mod Hidden Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea I think xbox live should be free.. Wii and PS3 online is free. :confused:

Mod Hidden, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  7. shadowpope17

shadowpope17 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe xbox would not be as good if it was free, they would have less money put into the service..

shadowpope17, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  8. cs?futuresasuke

cs?futuresasuke Peon

Best Answers:
    Their Prices are Unreasonable....... I would Even Pay 100$ for a Lifetime account.

for 1 Year I would pay 30$

They are just having fun with this because we game addicts want to play online too much! it's just like that if a Smoker doesn't gets a Cigarette, the smoker will feel dizzy and ill.

cs?futuresasuke, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  9. bobfredpo

bobfredpo Active Member

Best Answers:
    It would be nice if it were free, however, they make extra money by doing it, so... why would they stop.

Actually, there is quite a good reason for them to stop. PlayStation does it for free. I know plenty of people who have bought a PlayStation instead of Xbox specifically for this reason.

I do not know the specifics but I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox began losing more money than they gain as people switch over to PS3.

bobfredpo, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  10. Black Fire

Black Fire Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the services provided by xbox live destroy the wii network and PlayStation network. So, no, I don't think it should be free.

Black Fire, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  11. Amitoops

Amitoops Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i dont know exactly ,it is now a days free or not?

Amitoops, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  12. VanKim

VanKim Peon

Best Answers:
    it should be free, we love free things!!

VanKim, May 1, 2010 IP
  13. KrøniiK

KrøniiK Peon

Best Answers:
    I mean I am an xbox360 owner, but I don't mind paying the extra $60/yearly its not that big of a deal.

KrøniiK, May 1, 2010 IP
  14. brudawson

brudawson Member

Best Answers:
    I spent some time playing online. I did so on Xbox Live and through games on both my PS3 and Wii. Sure, it sounds radical and losing $50 per year from the millions of Xbox Live subscribers may be a major sticking point here, but it needs to be done. Microsoft's latest NPD numbers have been less than stellar and the Wii, DS, Playstation 3, and the PSP all sold better than the company's console in July. And if you want to compete in the hardware business, that's simply unacceptable.

brudawson, May 1, 2010 IP
  15. extremepullups

extremepullups Peon

Best Answers:
    its not that big a deal but free is better

extremepullups, May 2, 2010 IP
  16. lanworld

lanworld Peon

Best Answers:
    For college students who are usually pretty strapped for cash, it can be difficult to buy a new subscription right when it ends, and until you do your games are basically useless since the majority of Xbox games are geared towards online play.

lanworld, May 5, 2010 IP
  17. Gamerz1

Gamerz1 Peon

Best Answers:
    ofcorse free

Gamerz1, May 5, 2010 IP
  18. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Of course it should be free.

I've never really understood why anyone would buy a 360 knowing that they would be FOREVER paying an online subscription to keep it working. Especially if you're going to be playing online games that are also available for the PS3.

Kerosene, May 5, 2010 IP
  19. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    No, it shouldn't be free. Playstation is free, but their servers are also much slower and have a tendency to crash when a big game like Modern Warfare 2 comes out. Know why? Microsoft maintains their own servers while Playstation has some random 3rd party manage theirs. The money Microsoft collects in Live fees goes to maintaining servers and I don't mind paying for that at all. Xbox Live beats Playstation online anyday. I hate having to wait for almost an hour to receive updates to games and the console on the PS3 while my Xbox updates in seconds.

Ever hear of the term you get what you pay for?

Firegirl, May 5, 2010 IP
    Kerosene likes this.
  20. ruworth

ruworth Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Have a good look on google because there is a generator nocking about that gives you 24hr codes, just generate a new one each day you are online.

Sorry i cant comment further as i no longer have me 360.

ruworth, May 5, 2010 IP