1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should websites still be interested in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Lindabrock, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Chaxx

Chaxx Peon

Best Answers:
    Ye, I was a member until recently - I love the concept of the ODP, but in practice it's just not working - personally, I wouldn't worry about submitting a new site to it - most categories don't have editors anymore and your site will just wait in the queue forever and a day...

apologies for the cynicism :(

Chaxx, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting if you were an editor you would know
    1.Editors don't have categories, they are allowed to work in categories and
    2.There are several hundred editors who can edit in any and every category and all editors further up a tree can edit in categories below,

So how can any category not have an editor and nothing has changed, when I joined DMOZ 10 years ago the situation was just the same ie all categories had editors and names at the bottom of a category only showed the extent of the privileges of that editor, it was not their category.

Anonymously, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  3. Chaxx

Chaxx Peon

Best Answers:
    wow, are you serious? what was the point of your post other than to quibble over semantics?

I take what you say as partly backing up what I said earlier about the ODP being a nice concept but not working in practice. Even with higher up editors being able to edit multiple categories the project isn't working in practice as you wait a very long time for a review and the submitter doesn't actually know if they have been accepted or silently rejected.

As you say in your signature, you can wait any where from a few days to several years for a review - to me, that doesn't seem seem compatible with the nature of the fast-paced and ever expanding interweb.

You don't have to agree with me on that point, but at least advance a meaning in your post...

Chaxx, Jan 3, 2012 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    He would rather make personal attacks and derail threads then actually discuss the ODP or be helpful in any way shape or form. Rummage around his posting history here on Digital Point and you'll see why he posts Anonymously.

And yes, he is serious. Editors do NOT have categories, Categories have editors... hundreds of them! Thats why suggesting a site is such a fast and efficient method to get listed at DMOZ. *rolls eyes* ;)

Qryztufre, Jan 3, 2012 IP
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The meaning is that you said that categories do not have editors and some of us who have posted for years on here keep trying to be honest and tell people how long it can take for a review, but also to banish the myth that some categories do not have editors. They all do.

I don't think anyone can keep up with the fast changing internet, but I also do not believe that it is a good use of editor time to slavishly expect editors to wade through some of the categories that are full of spam suggestions. In fact as I have said before on here, I would turn suggestions off all together, and allow editors to find sites themselves,that would mean they could be far more productive instead of trying to make sense of much of the junk that gets suggested.

Anonymously, Jan 3, 2012 IP
  6. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you serious with this response?

If every single editor except one super editor were to leave DMOZ tomorrow you could still say that there is an editor for every category.

That is blatantly misleading and it is YOU who are hiding behind double talk and semantics.

Until DMOZ can say "We have a ratio of 1 individual unique human editor to each individual unique category" than you should not play word games with people.

The fact of the matter is DMOZ is in its death throes and has been since August 2011 when Google gave up on them.

When Google gives up on you it means you have done something wrong, and in a world where I add a page to my blog at 5pm and it's in the Google index 24 hours later......

DMOZ is the DOS 2.0 in a Google world. Time to Format C:

joeventura, Jan 4, 2012 IP
  7. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh and for the record there is 1 Editor for every 10 categories according to the website.

Specifically: 4,976,587 sites - 93,429 editors - over 1,009,376 categories

5:1 ratio of sites listed to categories.

Now imagine that half of the editors are active, now you are at a 20:1 ratio of editors to categories. Now imagine that each editor adds 1 site a week,
    now imagine the Tsunami of submissions that come in each year, and how they have accumulated over the decade.

Now what are your chances of getting a site listed math students?

Go count the grains of rice in a 500 lb bag. Your site is 1 of those grains! Good Luck!!

joeventura, Jan 4, 2012 IP