1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should websites still be interested in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Lindabrock, Dec 12, 2011.

Hi, i see a lot about this here. Should new sites still worry about this?

Lindabrock, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  2. Spudster

Spudster Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, any site mostly new sites need as much traffic to start it of with a boost otherwise it won't last for long.

Spudster, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Possibly, but only for as long as it takes to find the right category, write a submission and submit. After that they should forget it, not stress about how long it takes etc.

sarahk, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  4. Lindabrock

Lindabrock Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks you sharah

Lindabrock, Dec 13, 2011 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, submit & forget, especially if you are bothering with other free directories!

I've had sites listed for YEARS in the ODP and some of them have yet to have an ODP referral (other then when it was first listed, and I assume those were from the editor that listed, then me clicking my way through once I noticed it listed). Don't hold your breath thinking the ODP or any directory for that matter is going to bring you any traffic. People simply do not use them anymore... other then to submit to in hopes to increase ones backlinks. Outside of webmaster circles many people do not even know what a directory even is!

Qryztufre, Dec 13, 2011 IP
  6. Lindabrock

Lindabrock Peon

Best Answers:
    Do they notify you when it will be listed?

Lindabrock, Dec 14, 2011 IP
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry the answer is no.Site owners and the public are welcome to make suggestions, but we do not advise if the suggestion is taken up or not. Simple way to find out is go to DMOZ search add URL, without WWW, and it will show if it has been listed. If not, and it complies with guidelines, then it awaits a volunteer editor to chose to work in that area and use suggestions as a resource and that can take from a few days to a few years. We are not a listing service for site owners, but site owners can suggest their site for consideration.

Anonymously, Dec 14, 2011 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Anonymously is correct, they are not a listing service for site owners, they are a service for web surfers that wish to find sites through categorized site listings. A thin line I know, but thats how they are...

Qryztufre, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  9. XaKePaT

XaKePaT Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don`t worry if they don`t listed you in dmoz.

XaKePaT, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  10. gotlivechat

gotlivechat Member

Best Answers:
    When was the last time you, or anyone you knew, used DMOZ for a search? :p Get my point?
    It may be worth some minimal amount of link juice, but I wouldn't spend too much time trying to get listed. The approval process is weak (ever since they did away with the forum where you could ask for status) and their importance is lacking.

gotlivechat, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  11. dwirch

dwirch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Forget about DMOZ. I've seen sites that have been in operation for over five years never get listed, even after several submissions.

What I find frustrating abut DMOZ is when the editors piss and moan about having too much work to do in order to get the queues under control, and then deny new volunteers to help with the problem.

dwirch, Dec 18, 2011 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    You do realize that they are slow, and in being slow it can take years to be listed...and that suggesting the same site multiple times can actually be a very bad thing, bad enough to actually get your site banned.

If you wont follow their rules, why would you expect them to follow your expectations?

Did you get the standard rejection letter when they turned you down?

Qryztufre, Dec 18, 2011 IP
  13. dwirch

dwirch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I do realize it can take years to get listed. When I asked why, an editor told me it was because there were not enough editors to handle the load of submissions.

The first time I volunteered, I got a rejection letter, but it didn't state why I was turned down. The second time I volunteered, I followed the guidelines to the letter. Once again, rejection.

I've heard this same story from multiple people, so I really can't have any sympathy for these overworked editors who won't accept help from the community.

dwirch, Dec 18, 2011 IP
  14. Lindabrock

Lindabrock Peon

Best Answers:
    they should have a time limit so you can monitor

Lindabrock, Dec 18, 2011 IP
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    We have it can take from a few days to several years for a review. The wait is for a volunteer editor who receives no financial payment to volunteer to use their spare time to edit that section and chose to use the suggestions pool. Problem is no one can tell me how much time I am going to spend in the next year walking the dog, decorating the house, looking after my stamp collection, writing posts on DP, on my holidays, looking for a new house, making love to my wife.....now if \i can't tell you that and if you can't tell me, how can I tell you how much time I will spend editing and if I can't tell you that for me how do we project how long several thousand editors will spend on their editing and if we can't predict that how can we tell you how long any site will take for a review for a possible listing. Now add to that when I am editing I don't know which section I will be working in, if you can tell me, then that will help to narrow down how long a review will take for the millions of sites we are offered for review.

Does that sound non-professional, well that is just what DMOZ is, a bunch of hobbyists, not seeking to be a free service for site owners to get a listing, but following our hobby, in our spare time, our hobby is collecting sites in categorised forms so that people who want to search the net can do so using our data. Now you can help speed up that process by volunteering to become an editor,provided that you can pass the entry exam. That mostly means being able to spot where sites belong, being honest about your affiliations and showing that you can write a site description in accordance with guidelines.I am told, because I don't deal with applications, above my level of authority, that the highest rejections are because people are not honest about the sites they are affiliated with.
    l

Anonymously, Dec 19, 2011 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Why would anyone want to help those that don't want to help anyone? The add page that has the guidelines for submitters uses the word SERVICE, and that is certainly FAR from such a thing... at least by any standard other then the ODP.

And you are correct, no one can tell you how long to take to walk you dog, or even when to walk it, but then, thats apples and oranges isn't it? One has NOTHING to do with the other. The ODP is a service for listing sites in a categorized fashion. As a service, there are certain expectations that must be followed in order to succeed.
    If you want to compare the ODP to something, how about other volunteer groups? Imagine candy stripers acting like DMOZ editors in the hospital! "Sorry, we'll tell you where your dying grandmothers room is when I get around too it, I'm a volunteer!"

Qryztufre, Dec 19, 2011 IP
  17. Buxom_Bold

Buxom_Bold Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks you all guys, for such a awesome feedback...

Buxom_Bold, Dec 19, 2011 IP
  18. Lindabrock

Lindabrock Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you all. Are any of you editors on DMOZ ? :)

Lindabrock, Dec 31, 2011 IP
  19. Renatus

Renatus Member

Best Answers:
    The answer to the question in this thread is NO.

Renatus, Dec 31, 2011 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Yes there are some editors on here.

Anonymously, Dec 31, 2011 IP