1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should webmasters protect their content from Google?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Luisa Gruber, Aug 17, 2019.

Should webmasters protect their content from Google since Google transformed itself
    from a search engine to a content provider, competing directly with webmasters?
    Would not the "wow effect" be greater for visitors to my site,
    if my content were not found on Google?

Greetings Luisa

Luisa Gruber, Aug 17, 2019 IP
  2. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I fail to understand your post without more detail. I'm assuming since Google makes it easier for visitors to find content (ie. weather, news, stocks, etc) without the need to click on many web sites to find the info that could potentially take away from search traffic landing on your web site, right? If so, I think it's safe to say that Google delivers more hits to your pages than taking from... In that case no you should not "protect" yourself from Google. You should do the opposite. Make your site more searchable utilizing any special tags or structure so google can continue to provide content from your site. In return, there will be a benefit.

NetStar, Aug 18, 2019 IP
  3. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm really confused, why the webmaster should protect their content from Google. Big G didn't transformed into a content provider. To Luisa i hope to clarify your thread for us to make it understand. Cheers!

KylieSweet, Aug 18, 2019 IP
  4. Luisa Gruber

Luisa Gruber Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    On SERPS like that
    https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=cars
    i have more the feeling the goal is to povide content and infos "without any Click".

Luisa Gruber, Aug 18, 2019 IP
  5. Luisa Gruber

Luisa Gruber Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Maybee you should talk to some owners of websites for lyrics, poets, jobs, images, videos, stocks, news, weather and health about the growing of their organic traffic.
    Here is a sample of it:
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/16/18681225/genius-com-accused-google-copying-song-rap-lyrics

6. Luisa Gruber

Luisa Gruber Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What else is google on serps like this?
    https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=cars

A Search Engine:)

7. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    We received 34,000 clicks last month from Google organic. Why would we want to hide our website from those clicks, which make up about 68% of our total traffic?

Jim4767, Aug 19, 2019 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  8. Luisa Gruber

Luisa Gruber Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What do you think, how many clicks you still get, if Google decides to display your content directly on their own start page.

An example : Organic traffic that reach your homepage via google images, went to zero during the last years.
    Now my Question: Why should i allow the image bot to get access to my side, instead of blocking him?

Greetings

Luisa Gruber, Aug 19, 2019 IP
  9. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You don't make any sense. If Google is delivering 0 visitors to your web site then it certainly won't make a difference if you block google. However, in 99.9999% of the cases Google IS delivering traffic to y our web site. Why would you block Google from scraping your site? This seems very petty and a great way to kill your traffic.

It is true that Google can display parts of your web sites content on their index. However, it isn't true that visitors only use google and never click beyond the results page lol.

NetStar, Aug 19, 2019 IP
  10. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No need. I got this. :cool:

As long as you are connected to the internet it is not protected, all search engines specially G will crawl your page/s and index it then stored into their large databases. When its time for the searchers query it will be provided to them.

Its only an accusation to Google, but unfortunately nothing else happened. Case closed. :D

KylieSweet, Aug 20, 2019 IP
  11. Luisa Gruber

Luisa Gruber Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Lets stay on the image search sample.

If you got nearly no organic taffic, from well ranked images acroos the google image search, because the people just stay inside the google image viewer.
    What happens if webmaster remove all their images their?

You didnt think, the people are trying to find a way back to the original image hosting websites, without using google.
    - no images for google
    - no searches on google
    - people go back to the original sites, instead using the google viewer

Greetings Luisa

Luisa Gruber, Aug 20, 2019 IP
  12. Luisa Gruber

Luisa Gruber Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Zero Click searches reaches the highest level since ever.
    https://thenextweb.com/apps/2019/08/14/google-search-no-clicks/

Greetings

13. Luisa Gruber

Luisa Gruber Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There should be websites that have a robots.txt file in their root folder.

14. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, and the zero-click searches are because a webpage's content is at the top of page 1 in featured snippets. People often read those short summaries and leave without clicking further. Now how did those summaries/featured snippets get to the top of page 1? They got there because Google found the page with that content, not because that page was hidden from Google. Why in the world would a person want to hide their content from Google?!

Jim4767, Aug 20, 2019 IP
  15. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So you would rather have another web sites content be the most relevant and priority content for that search? I don't get it. If you block it you do NOT get more traffic. If anything it means your site IS indexed well. And if it is you absolutely are benefiting from traffic. Why do you think you would benefit from blocking google? I'm starting to think you lack common sense...

NetStar, Aug 20, 2019 IP
  16. Luisa Gruber

Luisa Gruber Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Exact what i am talking about!
    And what does it mean for your website?

Greetings

Luisa Gruber, Aug 21, 2019 IP
  17. Luisa Gruber

Luisa Gruber Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Witch part of that thread is the one you don't understand?

The economic part:

That a rich snippet text filled with content from your or other websites does not
    increase the ctr and clicks to rankings after the snippet?

or

Or the biological part:

That in the long term it is better to deprive a parasite of food (in our case content)
    to get rid of it or at least to restore the balance between host and parasite.

Greetings

Luisa Gruber, Aug 21, 2019 IP
  18. jose

jose Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For those respectable, eminent members who do not understand Luisa writing
    I would like to point out some pieces of information:

1. In 2010, Matt Cutts (Google) said at a SEO conference in California: Google's mission is not to be just a search engine, but provide directly users with the searched information as often as possible. (My comment: there is the issue since Google does not produce any content at all. It just use - more rarely, buys - content from sites).

2. As for Images search, Google changed end January 2013 its SERP's layout, showing then pictures in full size (instead of thumbnails), no longer showing the source site in the background, and not highlighting the name /URL of the source. From one day to the next, the organic visitors from Google Image dropped by 50-65 %.

With subsequent changes (including the use of the same layout in Germany and France which kept the "old" layout until 2017), the total drop of organic visitors from Google Image drops by about 90 % from 2013 level, although pictures provides huge and incresing traffic to Google

When you allow pictures to be indexed by Google, you, roughly speaking, work nearly only for Google. Furthermore Google's users may copy the pictures (despite copyright of many of them) and share them without visiting the site source.

As for Images, prohibiting indexing pictures certainly makes sense.

3. As for Google News, it has been largely recognized that Google takes advantage of the content of newspaper . They lost lawsuit against Belgian Newspapaers several years ago. More recently, a law obliged Google to pay newsppaper in Europe for using their content in Google news SERP (the law has been approved; the terms of practical details are still in discussion).

4.As for general search, current trends are: organic visitors are going down (-5/6 % yearly) while ads spending at Google surges dramatically (+16 % yearly).

----------------
    It is not the topic of the discussion (and I do not know your business). However, instead of you, I would be extremely concerned not to get more than 32% traffic from all the other traffic sources together (direct access !! + referrers + social network). If it is not your own business, you are to inform the shareholders about the risks of such a high dependence on Google.

jose, Aug 22, 2019 IP
  19. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1) It's a nonprofit website in the religion sector, entirely funded by me. We ask for no money and accept no donations or ad $$. I provide my website to the internet public 100% for the benefit of those who choose to visit. 2) I'm quite pleased with the 16,000 monthly visits we get from "all the other traffic sources." We are not "dependent on Google" and its many 1,000's of monthly visitors, but we do appreciate those visitors.

Some posters are forgetting the OP's original topic — hiding their website from Google. That will result in a dramatic traffic decline. If that's what she wants, so be it. Go ahead and hide.

Jim4767, Aug 23, 2019 IP
  20. Luisa Gruber

Luisa Gruber Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My theoretical question was more whether the brand, content and value of your website,
    for you and your website visitors, does not increase in the long term, when visitors
    from your other traffic channels realize, that they're finding exclusive and unique content,
    they can not find on Google.
    Which in my opinion would encourage a higher return of visitors and the strengthening of Google independent traffic channel.

You have also posted traffic numbers of your pages here.
    Interesting would be your ctr comparison of the last ten years with the same visibility.

Greetings Luisa

Luisa Gruber, Aug 23, 2019 IP