1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should we pay for mods?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by The Pheonix, May 23, 2007.

1. nukepuppy

nukepuppy Peon

Best Answers:
    pretty simple.

does the mod add something to your site regardless of what its for.. that it didnt have before?

If the answer is yes.. then yes you need to pay for it.

If you don't want to pay.. make it yourself.. if you can't then pay someone... thats how it is everywhere..

nukepuppy, May 27, 2007 IP
  2. Tim_Myth

Tim_Myth Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not associated with PHP Link Directory, but I have written a few mods for it. I get no compensation from David, so why would I give them away? Some of the simple mods and tutorials I give away for free because anyone who spent a little time learning Smarty would be able to do them in just a few minutes. Others (like the link calendar mod or emailed confirmation link) took me a bit of time to develop, so I'd like a little sumpin' sumpin' for my time... a flat $5 fee sounds reasonable to me.

Tim_Myth, May 27, 2007 IP
  3. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well since were talkin about mods for phpld...

Is thier a way to fix submittions so that the message is sent after payment as well as the info?

If anyone has it and is for sale or free let me know...

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 27, 2007 IP
  4. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with you, no-one should do things for nothing Tim, your fee is more than reasonable and maybe even the owner of the script should give you some money as its his property you are enhancing at no cost to him, least he could do.

I have no issues with charging for mods, never said I have, I asked a simple question based on the fact a particular script I found after a bit of search was phpLynx, it looks to have just about every 'mod' that phpld has but still only charges around the same price as the base cost of phpld, I couldn't figure out how if one script can do it how others can't especially ones as popular as phpld, surely they are big enogh now to afford to be able to give more value for money instead of relying on good people like you.

I do have to concede that $100 a mod is taking it to the extreme and without getting into a bitching match with anyone I would bet my last penny that there are a lot of people who agree with me even if they don't want to admit it, well not in public forum at least. ;)

Nice post Tim, there are two sides to a discussion, its pleasing to see a simple point made without ranting. :)

@malcolm,
    No wer'e not so would be grateful if you could maybe post a new thread asking that one, I'm sure there'll be one or two ready to mug, I mean make you one. :rolleyes:

The Pheonix, May 27, 2007 IP
  5. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Weird above statement does not go hand in hand with the following :
    Come on pheonix can you get ur facts straight and stick to one thing and not fly around like a chicken with broken wings all over the place?

paidhosting, May 27, 2007 IP
  6. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    RUBBISH :(

dargre, May 27, 2007 IP
  7. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Come what you expected from him, he is their marketing agent, he is just doing his job (but quite frankly very poor performance so far)

paidhosting, May 27, 2007 IP
  8. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Put money on it, and no paidhosting, I am not thier marketing agent or certainly not thier official one, I'm just a fan of a script, just like anyone else, we all have our own choices and this should be respected.

The Pheonix, May 28, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.