1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should we pay for mods?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by The Pheonix, May 23, 2007.

Not wanting to hijack anyone's thread I was reading the one on asking how many mods does one have for thier directories? My question is, (free versions aside), should you expect to pay for mods or should they be included in the price?

The Pheonix, May 23, 2007 IP
  2. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It surely depends on what mod u wanna install, Some mods like Anon's deeplink mod costing $100.00 is really brilliant & guarantees 100% ROI quickly.

Red_Virus, May 23, 2007 IP
  3. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I think that if the creator and owner of the script doesn't offer it, idn't come up with it, and it's good ... then sure, why not!

Blogmaster, May 23, 2007 IP
  4. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    personally i think $100 is a lot for a mod..but if you can turn it around..
    i think in a way it can be better if mods are provided in addition to the out of the box script as it makes your directory stand out from the default setup

discover, May 23, 2007 IP
  5. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    very well said...

Mods help us distance ourselves from the others who dont care to fix up thier sites
    as they are quick buck people not willing to spend a cent but just have their arms open to receive...

Being a directory owner is a business and our directories are our fine tuned machines in that business.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 23, 2007 IP
  6. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I paid for a mod so yes I think we should.

FOX LORE, May 23, 2007 IP
  7. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    some of the $100.00 mods will pay off within a couple of hours ;)

Blogmaster, May 23, 2007 IP
  8. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    im sure but im just going on my experience on paying coders to do work for me and i was able to get a lot of code for $100 :)

discover, May 23, 2007 IP
  9. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    I would say that the deep links Mod has not only paid for itself but as well
    brought me in an additional 25% more work just cause its installed... :eek:

And the details pages tell the whole story... Everything iPhone - Details Page

thx
    malcolm

10. Smithers

Smithers Banned

Best Answers:
    Yea but only if you find a good modification anything that is only a little useful isn't worth it.

Smithers, May 23, 2007 IP
  11. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the mods I'm aware of are from independent devlopers and not the creators of the variety of basic scripts, so it's likely they aren't an option when buying a license.

With any third party extras/options it's up to you if you'd like to pay for them or find a free version. There are benefits to both paid and free versions, so it's up to you to weigh the benefits against the associated costs.

CReed, May 23, 2007 IP
  12. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    must say the deeplinks mod paid it self off and all other mods I got from anon in a few minutes. thanks chris :)

SasaVtec, May 23, 2007 IP
  13. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Yes i agree .... it wasnt even a day... and while theirs a free version availble its the difference between a mercedes and a volkwagon :eek: yip night and day

14. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I installed Rob's Deeplink Mod on my Page Rank Web Directory few weeks back and it recovered the investment in hrs:D --its always wise & better to pay for the best one:cool:

jhnrang, May 23, 2007 IP
  15. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think if a good directory script is to survive long-term it has to offer as many new features as possible. It is a fine balance and as I stated before for a script like phpld I would like to see some sort of premium version with a bunch of mods included.

That said I did have a mod coded for me and over-all it was an ok experience.

jg123, May 23, 2007 IP
  16. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses which are pretty conclusive I'd say, all pro's agree that mods and features are key and because of this I suggested this to phpLynx as they didn't include the deep link mod or some other features I knew were in the script as I beta tested it for them. This might have led me away from them so I was cheeky and asked them for it.

Ever the eternal cynic I tested the claim to offer free mods they might have charged but they aren't going to and say they plan to put them in free for everyone, and if Anons mod is fetching $100 a pop I'm glad I was cheeky enough to ask, :p I can buy an entire script with the deep link mod and another surprise for free now, wicked stuff.

@Creed, yours was the post I put to them at phpLynx as the example just now and they agreed they should have put it in the first place, proof is in the pudding though if they do or don't. If they do and keep the price as it is then surely it must be cost effective for us users who want to offer a good service.

$100 mods though, jesus christ, :eek: how the hell can phpLynx carry this off? whatever, they can and I'm going to take advantage of it. :D Will post an update as if and when they add this and any other mods. Also I may get into selling mods for phpld and other scripts myself, I reckon I could knock one up pretty easy.

Once again guys thanks for the feedback.

phpLynx powered Directory - Coming soon.

17. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Have to disagree with you Mercedes and vw are both great, too similar in fact when it comes to customer satisfaction, I would have said Mercedes and Ford, now there is a big difference. :D

SasaVtec, May 23, 2007 IP
  18. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Well i would have said ... an escalade and a VW but how many would know what an escalade is?

Maybe you... but the guy in china or russia or west has No clue that they are 1 off the many luxuries vehicles in the states :)

thx
    malcolm

19. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    The problem i see with that....

What will happen is that phpld will battle and ya know what ... who cares?
    It will just come down to personal preference.. and nothing more

Whats troubling is that you will now offer to give a Loaded Handgun to the
    QBCs whom will in turn sit and make millions and just keep pressing that accept
    accept button till google finally says ya know what ... Bye bye directory devils No more ..
    weve had it! so it will bring the end

If you were to charge say a few dollors $25-50 for each individual script then
    the QBCs cant work cause it would take longer for them to gather funds
    and they arent about pulling anything out thier pockets.. ;)

Its just a theory and dont get me wrong i luv freebies ... :D
    but im not into possably exterminating the web directory.. :(

I mean if ya wanna offer free Ferrari's wont they depreciate if we all have one?

just my 2 cents nothing more

thx
    malcolm

20. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Good points, I'm dead against the QBC but I do look at it from how deep my pockets are and ROI, nothing more. I look at the money I could save as something I can put into investing in promotion.

I agree that not only phpld, but other scripts will 'battle' and this competition will benefit us end users as each will be forced to either bring down prices or offer more and more features to us. As for the QBC and killing the directory scene that will only happen if it stays as it is thats for sure, I don't have the fix but it certainly seems change is part of it.

Reading between the lines of Kev's interview, and I know I may get called a brown noser for this, but he does seem to know his stuff so I don't think his plans will bring the directory industry down, if anything it will improve it, and using his words perhaps motivate people to stop following the pack and get independant. Networking is good in theory but in practice look what it's done to the scene malcolm, a load of directories all buying backlinks of each other which pissed Google off, maybe its time to change the model?

Never seen a Ferrari EVER depreciate, that's the beauty of high end products, they always keep thier price or increase in value. Tis my ambition to own one, oh how to dream. :D

phpLynx powered Directory - coming soon!