1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should the motto "In God We Trust" be removed from U.S. currency?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by C a s p e r, Aug 20, 2008.

1. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    Like I said though, seperation of church and state is taken out of context in this case. You forgot to bold this part:

"no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,"

Is having this on the money doing any such thing? In fact, if we want to be technical, this is actually dealing with laws, not what people say, have written on the money, or what is written on the walls in our court houses. So in essence, I agree with Thomas Jefferson too but still don't think this is a big issue for people to get upset about. :)

PHPGator, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  2. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    PHP, if I've understood you correctly, I can't agree.

Firstly, the issue of what exactly this clause means is precisely the issue as it has always been - whether it means, in essence, a "no preference" doctrine among religions, or a cleavage between private faith, and public life - to include public monies being used to promote a view of religion. "In God We Trust" was precisely a law enacted in promoting a view of religion:

- so in my book, it doesn't get any plainer than that; by even a broad interpretation of the establishment clause, these are very clearly "laws respecting an establishment of religion...", and so are, it seems to me, blatantly unconstitutional. I therefore stand, as I've said, with James Madison (who decidedly declared the notion of congressional chaplains was unconstitutional - see above), I do not see how this can be construed any other way.

To the establishment clause, well, a reprinting. Hope it provides useful food for thought:

northpointaiki, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  3. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Wow so much disinformation here, thankfully a few of you know what you're talking about.

The supposed quotes by Washington and others, sure would like to see them actually sources. My research shows they come from thin air..

GRIM, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  4. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Grim do you think the motto "In God We Trust" should be removed from U.S. currency?

homebizseo, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  5. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Years ago I thought people were crazy for wanting it removed, I looked upon it as a patriotic symbol. UNTIL I researched into it, found out when it actually was put onto money, how it was made in our motto. I am not hell bent on having it removed, I however can definitely see why those would want it removed and would side with them. 99.9% of the information from the side wanting it to remain is false and made up in fantasy land, makes the decision to side with them that much harder ;)

GRIM, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  6. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    Why can't, just leave it because it isn't a big issue be a good enough reason to not side with the tree huggers? :)

PHPGator, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  7. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its not a big issue for you because you agree with what it says.
    Would you, for instance, be happy with the phrase "god is a delusion" to be printed on the money? Or would you think it probably best if individuals opinions on the existence of a god are kept off of public property and are not financed by tax payers?

stOx, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  8. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    PHP,

I'm sorry, but can you please explain what the hell environmentalism and a question of constitutionality over the promulgation of religion by public law are in any way related?

Again, sorry, but this kind of knee-jerk reaction is what leads many, myself included, to at times conclude it's merely blinders and dogma in place, in lieu of any sound basis in thought.

northpointaiki, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  9. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree, Stox - it's funny you post this, as I was thinking this very thing the other day (but late at night, and several glasses of pinot have passed since then). :D

Stox is precisely right, in my opinion.

10. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Every time the US money is redesigned, which has been often lately, it would seem that a decision is made to keep that text in the design.

I would much rather see "In America We Trust" on my US money.

browntwn, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  11. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That would be an excellent phrase IMO

GRIM, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  12. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    That really isn't the same because the statistics would be way different. However, a more better example would be the fact that I'm abnormally tall (6'11" to be exact). If the money had "In People Below 6 Foot We Trust"... I wouldn't care. I know i'm in the minority.

I'm not one of these types of people that go around trying to get standard door heights raised because it bothers me that I have to duck everytime I go into a restaurant. And I don't complain everytime I see a fan inside a restaurant that is at a height where I could get hit by it. That stuff doesn't bother me. Why? Because I know i'm in the minority and why should I go out of my way to pitch a fuss about something that such a low amount of people even care about?

I just think it is silly when we want to invest so much time into something that really isn't even that big of an issue for the vast majority of Americans.

13. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    PHP, you continue to return to a "most people want it this way" kind of argument, and are avoiding the merits of Stox's point (and those raised by others). By your logic, if the U.S. turned zoroastrian, currency should bear the imprint, "In Zoroaster we Trust."

It isn't about popular sentiment. It's about the best way to ensure you're free to practice your faith without hindrance by the government, another, his or her faith, another, no faith in divinity. Many feel, and have shown why, the best way to do that is for the two realms to remain utterly separate.

14. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    So by having this on our money it becomes a hinderance to your faith?

15. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    With the logic being portrayed above, if only a 'minority' owned guns then the right to bear arms should be taken away as it's only a 'minority' .....

GRIM, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  16. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As much as having "god is a delusion" would be a hindrance to yours. Would you, Personally, Regardless of how many people agreed with it, be in favour of having such a phrase on the money and being forced to finance the printing of it? I don't know how many times i have to ask you this simple question in plain English, But i will continue until you answer it.

stOx, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  17. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    The ironic part is, that i can say with confidence that regardless of what you write here it doesn't help or hurt my faith in any manner. :)

18. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Again, would you be in favour, personally, regardless of how many people agreed with it, Of having the phrase "god is a delusion" printed on money which your taxes finance the printing of?

Is religion, integrity and intellectual honesty entirely incompatible?

stOx, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  19. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm an atheist, PHP, but no, it doesn't change my mind one way or the other.

You are simply missing the point. It isn't about your faith, anyone's faith, or anyone's lack of faith.

"In God We Trust" is a view on establishing religion; incontrovertibly so;

The Coinage Act of 1864, and all that followed from it, is a law, specifically, establishing a view on religion.

Therefore, it is impossible construe it any other way, it seems to me: It was, and is, a tradition that has no basis in U.S. constitutionality. James Madison, Thomas Jefferson were right.

20. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    I think there is a double standard here. You like freedom of speech only when it applies to you. I've already told you, I don't care what is written, it isn't going to impact my faith which is the assumption that you are making with that question. Thats putting aside the fact that the question you pose doesn't have the same situation as the one we are currently facing with "In God We Trust". Most people who care in these forums have lived with it on there their whole life. Only now does it become an issue. Thats kind of funny, isn't it? :)