1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should the COOP use NOFOLLOW tags to prevent SERP penalties?

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by Big Richard, Jun 27, 2006.

?

Should the COOP introduce the NOFOLLOW tag ??

Poll closed Aug 16, 2006.
  1. The COOP should USE a NOFOLLOW tag to prevent SERP penalties

52.2%
  2. The COOP should NOT use NOFOLLOW tag as I use it for SERP manipulation

47.8%
  1. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are 2 reasons to have the links. To drive traffic and to bring SE bots. When I was using co-op I wasn't seeing a whole lot of traffic from those links but I was getting a lot of bot visits and it did seem to improve my rankings. in Yahoo and MSN. So I think the biggest reason for using co-op is to increase inbound links. Using a nofollow defeats that purpose. "End of story, see ya later."

Yfs1: You lost me on that one. But then again it is early in the morning. :cool:

Web Gazelle, Jun 30, 2006 IP
    yfs1 likes this.
  2. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    I understand what Big Richard was trying to say. We assume...as we will never know Shawn's true intentions...that the Co Op was designed as a strictly advertising tool. Which means by participating in the co op you get to "advertise" your site on other people's websites. I think what Big R. was trying to say is that IF the NoFollow tag worked the way we THINK it works, in which links with the nofollow tag are simply disregarded as a link, than for the co op to use the nofollow tag would solve the problem of the co op being accused as an SEO tool. The coop would still work the same way it was designed to work as an advertising tool, as the links are still there, and people can view them and go to them...it's just that they give no SEO benefit in Google if using no follow. Of course this would upset A LOT of people and the co op would probably loose around 50% of it's participants if that happend.

Googles76, Jul 6, 2006 IP
  3. Big Richard

Big Richard Peon

Best Answers:
    You have hit the nail on the head exactly. The point is the only people that would have cause to complain are the people that are using the COOP for SEO. The people who want to use the COOP for what it was designed (Advertising), should be happy as there will be less chance of being penilised/banned by SE's. However, I guess the situation will sort itself out, as now people are seeing penalties, they will not want to get involved, unless they believe the advertising benifits will outweigh the risks of a penalty. The problem at the moment is that everyone is so paranoid about getting penalties most would never risk putting their best sites in, so they just put in huge AWS sites etc, which reduces the quality of the network. However as Shaun has said in another post this is probably a good thing that these sites have been penilised as they provide little benifit to the network anyway, so why should they get a high weight just because they have thousands of auto generated pages that no-one visits.

Big Richard, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  4. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've never gotten any traffic whatsoever from the coop, so I have to ask what would be the point of the coop with nofollow tags? The coop is a link builder and thats it as far as I'm concerned!

Fahd, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  5. Big Richard

Big Richard Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course - I certainly respect your honesty - most people try and hide behind a smokescreen of "Its an advertising network so its outrageous google will penilise me because I use it" - when they know dam well the real reason they use it, and they should accept the fact if they try and manipulate their rankings through it then google has every right to penilise them.

Big Richard, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  6. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And you have every right not to use the Coop so why are you still complaining? Don't you have some modding to do over at icanthelpyou forums? If you put forth as much effort building quality links and optimizing your sites as you do whining about the Coop, you would probably already be ranking well for any keywords you want. BTW, if you want advertising your gonna have to pay for...effectice advertising is far from free.

BlueDevilMedia, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  7. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And you have every right not to use the Coop so why are you still complaining? Don't you have some modding to do over at icanthelpyou forums? If you put forth as much effort building quality links and optimizing your sites as you do whining about the Coop, you would probably already be ranking well for any keywords you want. BTW, if you want advertising your gonna have to pay for it...effectice advertising is far from free. Or you can sign up for our banner exchange!

BlueDevilMedia, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Agreed. Every thread where people are whining about the coop has this guy in it :rolleyes:

fryman, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  9. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    Dude, do you use CoOp?
    Have you ever used it? how do you know that sites using Co-Op are being panelized?? What is the proof? What is the base of your non stop whining??

And by the if you want advertisment with <No Follow>, Follow this

The Webmaster, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  10. Big Richard

Big Richard Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude did you read the thread? - http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=101074&page=3#53 - obviously not.

Whats wrong with having some debate about this - you own it or something? The post/vote is here for people to speak their minds and air their views, and at the moment more people have voted to that they would like to see a tag introduced that not, so whats your beef? At the end of the day it is up to shaun what he does but atleast this thread points out that there are people (a majority at that this point) that would like to see a no follow tag introduced. The point is I believe that the advertising benifits are minimal for one main reason, and that is because people don't put their decent sites in the network because of fear of being penilised, if you took away that fear, by introducing something that would stop the COOP going against googles guidelines then, you may get the decent sites in the network and it may actually become a much better tool for what is was actually designed "Advertising".

As I have said I have in the past used the COOP, but I sure as hell would not use it on my decent sites at the moment because I would not risk the penalty, and I wouldn't bother using it for advertising because there are very few good sites in the network because of that very reason.

I was pointing out that there are issues with the COOP as it is at the moment, if you begrudge open debate on that, then its a pretty small minded attitude.

And every smart arse coment has your sig by it. If brains where dynamite you wouldn't have enough to part your hair. ......... oh go on come back at me with your usual comment when you are stumped "newbie".

Big Richard, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  11. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    Huh??
    That just says that you dont use it. but what about the proof that sites are being panelized due to CoOp ??

And since you dont use it, why do you care at all that whether or not it should use no follow?
    and how do you think that using no follow would help any site in any way??

The Webmaster, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  12. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    See this thread. Sites can choose if they want to use nofollow or not.

digitalpoint, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  13. SERPalert

SERPalert Guest

Best Answers:
    Nice work Big Richard.

SERPalert, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Huh? First time I was called that.

digitalpoint, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  15. SERPalert

SERPalert Guest

Best Answers:
    SERPalert, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    He didn't have anything to do with it... it's been in the works for a long time.

digitalpoint, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  17. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    No Nofollow please.

IT

Correctus, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  18. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Its already an option

yfs1, Jul 13, 2006 IP