1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should Members Be Able To Edit/Delete Their Posts?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Sean101, Mar 29, 2012.

Hey.. I have a xbox forum & im not sure weither i should allow my members to be able to edit and/or delete their posts. What have you got set on your forum? Whats your thought on allowing editing & deleting posts by members?

Sean101, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  2. ratin90

ratin90 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Editing should be allowed,and not delete,let the staff delete the post.

ratin90, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  3. Sean101

Sean101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Currently i have it so my members can not edit or delete their posts. I have 2 groups on my forum "XLF Reviewers" & "Forum Welcomers". These members help out on the forum & they can edit & delete their posts. But im thinking about making it so no one can delete posts, but everything can edit them upto to 30 minutes after posting then no more. As well as members being able to post allowed content, then go back a while later and change it to spam content.. I dont like the idea of a member posting a thread, then after getting replies to it, change it to say differant text to make it look as if the members replied on that instead of the thread which was there before the edit.

Sean101, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  4. Econox

Econox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    On previous forums I used to manage, I had it set up so that members can edit their own posts after a certain time limit, and can also perform a soft delete of their posts. Even with soft delete, I noticed that this gave complications after a while. Editing seemed to work fine however.

Econox, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  5. Sean101

Sean101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Thats seems to be the general feedback im getting from people. (Never let members delete) & (Limited editing time period for members). What is Soft Delete?

Sean101, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  6. Econox

Econox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Instead of being permanently deleted, the posts are still there. The contents of the post are not visible and a message saying that the post has been deleted is displayed instead.

Econox, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  7. Sean101

Sean101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, i never knew what you mnt when you said soft delete. Would it not be ok to create like a "Old Stuff" or "Trash/Bin" forum and move all the post there which i would be wanting to delete?

Sean101, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  8. Econox

Econox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would think that's fine and I have done the same thing in the past. Soft delete is just from the member's end.

Econox, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  9. Sean101

Sean101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok. Cool. Do you think i should make the "Trash"/"SPAM" folder visible to my members? or make it Read Only? or what you think?

Sean101, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  10. Econox

Econox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's totally up to you. I've seen it done on some forums. I haven't done it myself since I didn't really see the need to. But I guess it can show your members examples of what they should not do.

Econox, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  11. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Depends on what your trying to accomplish. As a general rule, I'd allow editing posts within a certain amount of time, but I would never allow normal members to delete posts.

dcristo, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  12. BeautifulDomainNames

BeautifulDomainNames Peon

Best Answers:
    I would be fine allowing members to edit their posts, in fact, I believe this to be a necessity for most forums but I would never allow "Non Premium" members to delete their own posts/threads (if they're the starter), that sounds like it could cause more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
    BeautifulDomainNames, Mar 30, 2012 IP
  13. reninter

reninter Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can edit the thread but you can't delete, and make sure edit only within certain moment.

reninter, Mar 30, 2012 IP
  14. Sean101

Sean101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    So far, thinking.. Reason For Not Allowing Editing After Certain Time Limit: For example.. Say you have a forum with doesnt allow posting of certain links to certains websites, lets say "adult sites". So i could make a thread on your forum posting something which you allow to be posted. Then after a while, i come back to your forum, go to that post, then change it completely to advertise the "adult site". If you have a busy forum, the post which has been edited could be pages back into your forum & less likely to be spotted of an admin or mod. This me getting my "adult site" advertised on your forum which i could have done if there was No Editing or Editing Was Timed. I could also make a thread on your forum, after another member repling on that thread, i could change the text in my post that started the thread to make it look like that other member posted a reply on something else other than what that member was really posting on. ---- Reason For Not Allowing Editing After Certain Time Limit: You could also lose any good SEO that page gives your website/forum, If that page has good Rank, etc.. A member could ruin that with deleting their post. Also.. if a member decides for some reason or another, they could delete every post they have in proberly not alot of time. These posts could be popular topics on your forum & they will be all gone.

Sean101, Mar 30, 2012 IP
  15. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I say yes on both with a short time limit. There have been times where I've lost my temper and posted. Then after about 30 minutes or so cooled down and thought better of it,and either edited or deleted outright.
    Without these options hotheads like me would be banned in short order with monotonous regularity.:)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 30, 2012 IP
  16. HostOwnage

HostOwnage Peon

Best Answers:
    Editing should be allowed, however deleting is completely depending on your site. For example, if it's a market and the user posts a scam post and a victim becomes a member. Getting proof will be a challenge.

HostOwnage, Mar 31, 2012 IP