1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

should I wait for drupal 7?

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by Zilcha, Apr 3, 2010.

1. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    From what I see, there is nothing to prevent using drupal 7 rc2 in production, just one bit to be careful with enabling the comment module, we must do it first before creating any content type. But that's the only critical bug left, so starting on Drupal 7 and simply upgrading when the finale version is released is ok I guess. Anyway, the time it will take to finish a new site, the finale version will be released, so I'm currently creating my site directly on the web server with RC2.

JamesColin, Dec 12, 2010 IP
  2. sms2life

sms2life Peon

Best Answers:
    using in localhost is great option to eval

sms2life, Dec 12, 2010 IP
  3. rlnorthcutt

rlnorthcutt Member

Best Answers:
    Keep in mind that D7 has been in beta because of the decision to hold off on any official releases until the issue queue was cleared. Its actually been useable for over a year. I suggest using D7 unless you need some specific modules only available on 6.

Viva la drupal!

Ron

rlnorthcutt, Dec 13, 2010 IP
  4. fau00

fau00 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is there any good ebook about Drupal for beginners?

fau00, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  5. Icecold153

Icecold153 Peon

Best Answers:
    At the present time do the improvements in D7 justify a migration from D6?

Icecold153, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  6. l33tp4n3g3

l33tp4n3g3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There won't be much more upgrades or changes so just use Drupal 6 for now.

l33tp4n3g3, Jan 18, 2011 IP
  7. petrustone

petrustone Peon

Best Answers:
    There will be many changes actually. Many modules will be moved into core and overall there will be more functionality out of the box.
    Moving some of the modules into the core will slightly improve the performance. It's easier to install new modules, not as easy as in WP but very close... It has a better user Interface, that was a big put off for many new Drupal users.
    However, many great modules are not yet released for Drupal 7 and for some of them it will take some time to be ported. I bet that the decision to keep it alpha for a while had something to do with this. Anyway Drupal 7 is now released and is great.
    I just installed and I will play with it. Upgrade from 6 to 7 is supposed to be easy according to documentation... We'll see...

petrustone, Jan 18, 2011 IP
  8. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's true that they've moved several things compared to D6, it's confusing but I have to admit it makes more sense that way than before, it's just that I was used to the previous logic :)

JamesColin, Jan 19, 2011 IP
  9. sanyi007

sanyi007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, it is not as easy as wordpress. That is not a big problem, as the system became more clear and easier to navigate, with more built in functions, like cck.

The biggest problem with D7 that it became a little bit bloated. Even the standard installation is slow, some said that compared to D6 it can serve half/75% requests. You shouldn't even dream of installing it on a shared host.

So lets see: it became better and easier to manage, so more non-tech user will use it, but they managed to build a system which hardly run on most shared hosts, while those cheap hosts are used mostly by non-tech/hobby etc. users. Compared to wordpress which is always becoming cleaner and cleaner, with more functions, hooks, etc., For example: i was capable of installing the newest wordpress with most of the functions working on a host which is restricting memory usage to 20M in php.ini, and a lot of functions are disabled (i installed and used it only out of curiousity, i'm always testing cms-s on really lame hosts to see how compatible they are) while i was unable to initialize drupal, as it needs much more memory.

So: Drupal 7 will be good after the performance issues will be cleared, but it seems never ever will become the toy of hobby users. I thought with D7 they will try to race with wordpress on that "market" too, to get a share, but no: this system is still only recommended for those who have a medium programming knowledge (or/and time to learn the framework) and money on better hosts (vps is highly recommended).

I'm really sad by the first experiences i got from D7, and i'm not the only one:
    http://drupal.org/node/1020494

:(

sanyi007, Jan 19, 2011 IP
  10. petrustone

petrustone Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you, it does have performance issues. I agree on the target market, I don't think that they will be able to compete against Wordpress on their territory. But you don't really need programming knowledge to manage a Drupal. Yes, you might need some css and html skills to change the look, but I am not a programmer and I can get around with Drupal.
    Some logic that usually comes with an IT formation is needed. But Drupal is so much powerful than Wordpress. Wordpress is slowly introducing real CMS concepts in their platforms such as definable menus. When they will have more than two content types and those content types will be easy to tweak in a UI then you can make a comparison.

In the mean time I won't install D7 on a production site. :)

P

petrustone, Jan 20, 2011 IP
  11. Caitlyn

Caitlyn Guest

Best Answers:
    Try drupal 7 with simple concept. use your familiar version for creating business website

Caitlyn, Feb 3, 2011 IP
  12. escape.fromm.freedom

escape.fromm.freedom Peon

Best Answers:
    Go ahead with D6. It's stable.

escape.fromm.freedom, Feb 6, 2011 IP