1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I use Wordpress or Joomla in 2017?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Mr.Dog, Jun 20, 2017.

Hi,

I want to rebuild a website and move its content onto a CMS. Site is currently hand-coded.

I know Joomla is more sophisticated and I think Wordpress is simpler to use. But I don't know which one is the best for me.

The goal is to develop, extend the site (which is a blog-like site) and add more complex features to it, to modify the design/layout/template and I also need the best security (against hacking).

So: should I choose Joomla or Wordpress? And why?

Thank you in advance! :D

Mr.Dog, Jun 20, 2017 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nigel Lew, Jun 20, 2017 IP
  3. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is a pretty big CMS and managing it takes a lot of time. You better go with WordPress, works great for me and it can be expandable as well.

iwebsocial, Jun 21, 2017 IP
  4. webhost.uk.net

webhost.uk.net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you asked about most used then its Wordpress. You need to list your feature wishlist for your website and accordingly select between Joomla and wordpress as both and few plus and few minus points.

webhost.uk.net, Jun 21, 2017 IP
  5. FNIvan1243

FNIvan1243 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress plssss, simple :)

FNIvan1243, Jun 21, 2017 IP
  6. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    ^
    I think it will be Wordpress. But what would be the disadvantages of Wordpress, then?

Mr.Dog, Jun 21, 2017 IP
  7. Gosuperb

Gosuperb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Since it doesn’t require PHP or HTML knowledge, WordPress is definitely simpler to use. Even though Joomla is much more sophisticated, managing it can be time-consuming. However, when it comes to WordPress, there are numerous concerns about data security, it requires a lot of plugins to be installed, modifying tables, date fields, and/or graphics format can be more complicated and it demands a certain understanding of PHP language. In conclusion, WordPress is a fantastic choice if you want to make a simple website. If you want a more secure and serious website, I would suggest a cost-effective web hosting service.

Gosuperb, Jul 12, 2017 IP
  8. Sumit_Singh

Sumit_Singh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are looking for security then Joomla is best and otherwise, for other aspects like Customization, SEO, Wordpress is better and Simple.
    Now it is up to you to choose the best one, so I recommend you to read some articles on it and note down your requirements then take any decision.

Sumit_Singh, Jul 17, 2017 IP
  9. Tennouji

Tennouji Active Member

Best Answers:
    There goes someone again about wordpress security. Again, why does everyone assume that wordpress is "less secure" like it was more than a decade ago? Things have progressed far now, and wordpress is one of the solid scripts out there. Security issues nowadays are mostly the fault of "bad and buggy plugins/themes" as well as administrator/human errors. The core itself is as secure as any good other CMS/scripts you can find out there, so don't blame the CMS itself on it. The larger the plugin/theme library, the larger the bad plugins/themes there are numerically. That's how numbers and fractions work.

Tennouji, Aug 20, 2017 IP
  10. webhost.uk.net

webhost.uk.net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Both are really good when we talk about top CMS application, but both need good security updated to prevent hacking attempts , need to takecare about plugins themes and regular version updates for both of them.If you need any specific thing done you will find more options with Wordpress in market than joomla. As many of them prefer working on wordpress.

webhost.uk.net, Aug 21, 2017 IP
  11. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Believe me this has been asked for a thousand of times already. Anyway, here's a simple answer, and from my personal opinion I prefer wordpress over joomla. Well because it is easy and convenient to use.

Patricia Ann Lee, Aug 21, 2017 IP
  12. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well first wordpress its more used by majority of people and this would need to say to you something .Wordpress its also easy to use and you have a lot of plugins to help you out

Spartan14, Aug 22, 2017 IP
  13. kellyrose

kellyrose Active Member

Best Answers:
    Answer depends on the type of requirement, client budget, scope of work, future maintenance, man power needed, turn around time, project timelines etc., So to decide which one to select is completely based on what type of website we are going to design, build or develop.

If you are a complete programmar, and having some special things to do which is possible only with Joomla, then go for it.
    Of else if your requirement fits in WordPress, then go for it.
    But we should have compreshensive idea on what are the features of Joomla and WordPress, we have Magento, OpenCart, Prestashop, Shopify, WooCoomerce etc., like wise so many things to consider, if you have interest.

kellyrose, Sep 12, 2017 IP
  14. Manoj Negi

Manoj Negi Banned

Best Answers:
    Since you want a blog specific website then surely you should go for Wordpress. Here are the reasons: -

1- Wordpress is renown as one of the top Blogging platforms.
    2- I hope you want the search engines traffic and ranking also for your website/blog, the Yoast plugin will help you a lot.
    3- Wordpress have almost all the features which are required to run the advanced blog site.

About the website security, it depends on your hosting and the password strength, tries to keep the very strong password and go for a good WordPress based hosting.

Hope this helps :)

Manoj Negi, Sep 12, 2017 IP
  15. K Padmapriya

K Padmapriya Member

Best Answers:
    Both WordPress and Joomla are great platforms for e-commerce, complex blogging, and portfolios. For ease of use and flexibility, use WordPress and it is a great platform for beginners. If you like complexity, you can use Joomla, but it is difficult for beginners.

K Padmapriya, Nov 7, 2017 IP
  16. Marco OZYURT

Marco OZYURT Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is nice and simple. Honestly there is no need to make things complicated by using joomla. I found joomla very complicated.

Marco OZYURT, May 16, 2018 IP
  17. YYDevelop

YYDevelop Member

Best Answers:
    In the past joomla was more popular, nowadays it seems like wordpress counted as much better CMS so i think you should try it instead.
    Normally the question is if you need to use drupal or wordpress as drupal allow to create more complex websites.
    But in your question using wordpress is the better choice.

YYDevelop, May 29, 2018 IP
  18. Cherie Willis

Cherie Willis Peon

Best Answers:
    The basic difference between WordPress and Joomla is that Joomla is a portal or community type site mostly while WordPress is a blog focused CMS. Depend what you need, but I think Wordpress is much better.

Cherie Willis, May 29, 2018 IP
  19. Aanav

Aanav Peon

Best Answers:
    Asked million times

Aanav, Jun 18, 2018 IP
  20. bcdxer

bcdxer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    use wordpress

bcdxer, Jul 23, 2018 IP