1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I use Azure VPS ? Or should I use a more standard shared setup?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by aWrongun, Jun 13, 2018.

Hi guys, need some guidance here if you could oblige?:)

I’m looking at building a new website which needs some content switches for regions of the world, aswell as multi-language support. Can anyone recommend how to meet my requirements.

Question 1: Should I use Wordpress?

Question 2: Hosting? Should I use Azure VPS ? Or should I use a more standard shared setup?

Type of site: Simple brochure wear/comparison site, no server-side logic (apart from CMS text in DB?)

Target audience: Global

Requirements:
    1. Internationalization*: manual translations for approx. 10 languages, other languages translated with a tool(?)
    2. Content needs to be dependent on the region of the world the user is in i.e. for users in the U.S. remove a subsection on a page and remove a page from a drop-down menulist etc.
    3. Needs to be fast
    4. It’s my startup, so inevitably low hosting/cloud costs are key

*In terms of SEO, I believe Google rankings now favour locality – so should I have one site under ‘.com’ which is translated to the user’s language (based on regional settings?) OR should I actually split the sites to different Top Level Domains per country i.e. .de, .fr, .co.uk (I think maintenance of this could be painful.. rolling out content updates etc)

aWrongun, Jun 13, 2018 IP
  2. dts-net

dts-net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would use a .com , wordpress 5.0 and use a cloud linux based provider it will save you more money and Perform Better any other questions please fee free to ask

dts-net, Jun 13, 2018 IP
  3. radwebhosting

radwebhosting Active Member

Best Answers:
    For Wordpress, you should consider alternatives to Azure VPS, as these will be best for Windows operating system hosting. WordPress is best hosted on Linux VPS, with CentOS (or other Red Hat distro), Ubuntu, etc. Most hosting providers, Google, AWS, and other cloud platforms would be better than Azure in my opinion.

radwebhosting, Jul 18, 2018 IP
  4. nonameHosts

nonameHosts Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1. Wordpress is OK to use if you will update it frequently.
    2. I would choose something like Digital Ocean or AWS if you are familiar with Linux OS administration. If not, than shared hosting service would be OK.

nonameHosts, Aug 15, 2018 IP