1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should i submit to multiple areas in dmoz

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by fergald, Sep 24, 2009.

Hi,

Forgive me if this is a silly question, I have submitted my site www.beginner-tutorials.com over 2 months ago now to http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/PHP/FAQs,_Help,_and_Tutorials/
    It has not been added as of yet / last update august 1 2009.

My question is should i submit again as i submitted before august 1 and maybe it was not accepted.

Also as my site consists of not only php tutorials but c++ tutorials and Java tutorials which where wrote by me should i submit to multiple areas. Someone told me this was against the rules (is this true).

Really hard to get in, i worked really hard on my tutorials(content) with over 60 tutorials now - my goal is to write nearly 100 - 150 so i am hoping that the dmoz editors will see that i am serious.

What do you think.

Kindest Regards
    Fergal.

fergald, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Once you have submitted once to the one best category you have done all you can do. Anything else is likely to be counterproductive.

Submitting again only overwrites the previous submission with the new submission date.

Submitting to more than one category is against the guidelines (unless its a regional and topical category). Editors can and do add site to more then one category and that is within the guidelines - its just submitting is not.

Agent000, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  3. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your site fits into more than one category. Be sure you choose an active category before suggesting. Most DMOZ categories are abandoned and listing out-dated sites. If your site goes to one of these, it will never be reviewed.

You can check the date category was last updated at the bottom of the page. You should check sites currently listed there and see whether they are up-to-date, also.

caprichoso, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    fergald - It isnt uncommon for editors to see a content rich site covering several subjects and use deeplinks from it elsewhere, but it probably isnt in your best interest to send it multiple categories. Choose the place it fits best and submit there. If it is a tossup, then submitting to the one that seems to be the most actively edited is in fact a good idea.

robjones, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  5. fergald

fergald Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for replies, i think this is the best category for my genuine tutorial site.
    One last thing though, as you can see above the category was updated on august 1 2009 should i resubmit as obviously i was not accepted.

what do you think, i know the dmoz editors are really busy.

Kind Regards
    Fergal

fergald, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  6. syd13

syd13 Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree with this :D
    Once you have submitted once to the one best category you have done all you can do. Anything else is likely to be counterproductive. ,.

syd13, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Mr. Jones is correct. Deep linking seems pretty much reserved for huge commercial sites, schools (.edu), and for sites owned by editors. THe average submitter trying to get multiple links is generally looked at as a spammer.

Qryztufre, Sep 26, 2009 IP