1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I submit my site to directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by kf9211, Oct 11, 2007.

1. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No its not meant personally towards workshop, the last thing i want to do is bait him. Its usually during talk of children that ive heard people talk of role models.
    With all respect nobody has forced anyone to do anything, if someone asks for advice then chooses to do something without thinking for themselves then there cant be anyone to point a finger at.

I still refuse to discuss directories of other people here when their not currently here to give opinion back and im not comfortable with saying too much about someone that i dont know.

I think in business that when it comes to guidance you need that advice from financial experts, business lawyers etc, i think in business you need to be able to stand on your own 2 feet and not look towards a teacher figure, business has never been about a pupil/teacher relationship if you see youself as in charge of what your doing.

Policing of a section of the internet is not needed, the SE's take care of what they do, no blame can be put on anyone if another person is not so successful in business, there will always be a guy infront of you, we cant all be at the top all of the time.

In the offline world, the days of Unions and such are dying out, i dont think that is going to be resucitated for online business.

I dont understand this fascination with saying that there needs to be a controlling body for the directory business, it doesn't exist properly for the whole internet, so what makes us so important that we would have one yet?

The bottom line is that some people have had more success so far, some have more money to spend, some are more innovative, some are more daring.

Those people will leave you behind because while their just getting on with it the others are moaning, really in business its a case of get on with it, after all is said and done you need to get on with business (not towards you personally) nobody owes anybody anything.

Dont feels sorry for yourself, business is about all of the stress too, its extremely hard work, no let up, i can assure you that no amount of moaning about things will make the blind bit if difference.

Work will, and lots of it.

pipes, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As jhnrang points out, it is 100% normal for a company or a few to dominate a market, its happens throughout the world, its never been more obvious than now in current times.

TP, workshop, maybe you could dominate one day, shall we then attack you and suggests things? ;)

Really its going round in circles, you will wear yourselves out guys, you must waste so much time here where it could be spent on your projects.

pipes, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  3. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    I won't quote you on the entire text pipes, saves space. I agree on not discussing directories who's owners are not here. As for policing, to be honest pipes, it does need some kind of governing, especially when there are total plants out there who open up 20 directories in one go which is not doing us directory owners any favours.

Business guidance - this doesn't have to be lawyers etc, my Dad taught me one lesson, never tell your competition what your up to, I'm making a good income as a result.

Policing is definately needed. Not for the directory owners sake but for the consumer as they are the one's who are duped by certain areas into thinking paying XYZ for a link in an overinflated directory is of benefit when in reality its not worth squat.

This isn't offline world, this is online, but as much as unions are dying, the post office one is a good example of how powerful the one's remaining are.

I agree with the not feeling sorry for yourself bit. I could rest on my laurels and let me old man pay for my living but I like hard work and certainly know nobody owes me anything.

Good post though som very valid points,.

The Pheonix, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  4. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    a good post, in regards one point, just as a thought only and not to say its wrong or right.

but good people / mentors are very important as in a student / teacher role in that if you want to be a good butcher learn from the best one you can find.

In addition it is very important ( IMO ) that you sorround yourself with people with the knowledge of every part of your business who are skilled in that area then bounce your ideas of of these people before implimenting in more of a team / mentor type role.

DownUnder, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The Pheonix well regarding a policing of directories, i would not take any seriously unless it had thousands invested into and involved lawyers, i know that theres no way any one or group of individuals would do that, and it wouldn't be run by a directory owner as the time needed would be totally taken up trying to control it, the internet itself makes things very difficult to police so i see it as currently near impossible.

Im not knocking your or anyone elses want for one, just my deeper thoughts usually throw up a lot of obstacles when i think about something fully.

I agree not to tell your competitors what your doing.

In a nutshell i dont want to see anyone waste their precious time on forums where they could just be working and getting on, its essential to recognise each others differences without trying to change each others minds.

Allowing each other to choose individual paths is essential.

pipes, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well a difference in opinion but as usual i respect that, my post above this assures that i respect your choice and thoughts.

pipes, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  7. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice post, cant give you any green love got to spread more around first. :) I do disagree on the policing thing, we need some kind of governing body but do agree it would be a very difficult thing to do and expensive but I'm not so sure it won't happen sooner or later as it will with every part of the web.

Take care. good reply.

8. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks :) dont worry about green, im much more content with calm discussion, enjoy the rest of your day.

pipes, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  9. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Do we really need to debate this? I have watched this industry grow and Aviva is run by a very smart guy. He has or had huge influence in this industry and there are good reasons for it. But I dont like what he has done because it is fundementally dishonest. Like many others I am on record as having spoken out about this before it became an issue. But now that it has I believe we have every reason to start cleaning up the mess. Besides the fact I dont approve of what I will call aggressive marketing I dont like the fact that the principal players tucked their tails betwen their legs and took cover. They dont see that they have done anything to answer for and this is sending out the wrong message at a time we need to see change . Secondly if I am not mistaken rather than pulling in their horns they are actively trying to grow their hold on this market. This is not right. Intead of backing down and acknowleging the need to change they are challenging Google and doing everything they can to provoke a response. Besides being wrong, its arrogance gone loop de loop.

The first thing I have to propose is that directory owners make a public committment to list quality content and to make themselves publicly accountable. This could be done very simply just by maintaining a list on this and other forums.
    Why do we need to be policed? We have the right and the freedom to associate and thats a lot more powerful and a whole lot more meaningful than setting another castle in the sky.

workshop, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  10. _doctor

_doctor Peon

Best Answers:
    There are so many directories nowadays, that I don't use them ever

_doctor, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  11. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Have you ever in your mind though of other angles why they are not here on DP like before?:rolleyes:
    Read my post here
    where I have explained the truth why they are not here. The cause is much broader than you can ever imagine with your narrow views.:rolleyes:

jhnrang, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  12. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    I just read your big brother theory and wonder how you think YOU know the TRUTH? We all know google look at this forum, cutts is always refering to it as to many others. My theory why its so quiet here, they've gone to other hunting grounds, but it is just a theory. ;)

13. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    It never was and that is what must change. I and many others like me, never bothered with this forum and for the same reason it got targeted by Google. It was dominated by people I would rather not be associated with. People who are still churning out their "quality" directories by the fistful, who are sill spreading their dirty money around ;) and who are still doing whatever they can to bring this industry to their knees. What are they scared of? The truth? All I have suggested is that we start a list of directories run by directory masters who hold themselves to be publicly accountable for the content they list. Terrifying isn't it? All I have proposed is that we take steps to entrench values such as honesty, editorial integrity, transparency and accountability and I can well understand why they see this as a threat. What do you think? Do you have any arguments with those as base values? Silly question isn't it?
    No its not. Its still happening, just not openly on this forum and I suspect you already know that. But I think you have outlined the problem and have confirmed that they were feeding and actively building up the QBC who would accept anything from anyone as long as it was "paid " for. Funny I thought Aviva was in the forefront of the fight against short term profiteering. Whoever would have thought that they were so busy fouling their own nest. Tut tut
    Yup. And thats why I opened our first directory two years or more, ago and its why we need to see change. Buyers are looking for long term and real value and Google is telling us that we need to vote wth our feet.

workshop, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Do you really think that Google pays people to spend their days targeting individual web sits manually? I very much doubt that is the case.. That is why there is an algo.. to reduce the manual labor.

I don't think anything gone quiet in the world of directory submission.. If anything, I have seen a rise in submissions. My work load has actually risen since everyone went on the directory doom and gloom bandwagon..

Will this never end?

Mia, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  15. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Sadly it probably won't ever end until Google finally concede to PR being a Faux Pas, but they won't so it might just keep us all on our toes. Great stuff if your busy, I'm not doing too bad myself. Not in the debate to see people suffer, I'm interested in getting the directory scene back to where it should be without the nonesense PR chasers and abusers who caused all this in the first place.

BTW, your guidlines page http://www.seekwonder.com/guidelines.php isn't working. just a heads up. :)

The Pheonix, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  16. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Do you think its inconceivable that Google decided that it was time to victimise a few individuals that were so cock sure that it would never happen. It was sheer poetry to watch. They just stopped in mid-sentence and you couldn't see their heels for dust. :D

workshop, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  17. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Post Deleted ...

2 wrongs never make a 1 right...

laterz
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  18. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Cheers. :)

CReed, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  19. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Whatever........but to answer you, yes I am good at it. I like do the best I can at whatever I turn my attention to. And what the current situation is telling me is that Google is not going tolerate the sort of abuse and dishonesty that is accepted as the norm on this forum. They are giving you rope and whilst it will be interesting to see what happens over the next two months, its next year and the year after that which really counts.

But to close all I can add is that its a very silly directory owner that believes that's its all over. Chirp away sunshine. This is better than any soap opera. Its just a pity about the small guys that get hurt in the process.

workshop, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  20. pedring

pedring Banned

Best Answers:
    Usually quality directories help to improve SERP which every SEO's want to have.

pedring, Oct 19, 2007 IP