1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I submit again?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by wblteam, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your welcome to apply and spend your spare time doing voluntary,unpaid editing. A button at the bottom of almost every page.

Anonymously, Feb 2, 2012 IP
  2. ksb2050

ksb2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I got rejected. I did what they said, reapplied and got lost in the system. Trust me, I was there, going to help, and they said no. Their loss.

If you have any pull PM me, because I have no problem volunteering and being unpaid. I do it quite often on and off the web.

ksb2050, Feb 2, 2012 IP
  3. stevenh

stevenh Peon

Best Answers:
    Isnt dmoz just a honey pot for noble and seo insiders to pump pr? 2009 was supposed to bring dmoz 2.0 <snark> Google dumped them, AOL I'm shocked they updated the date to 2012 on their pages... it was 2011 before 2009 was changed <double snark> ...

Seems the closer you follow their guidlines the less chance you actually have of inclusion. Have you seen some of the sites that are listed? Sex sites under toys <tisk tisk> (here comes the Jr firemen to scream "well then report the bad links" as if we are all on their payroll.) We webmasters can help out, but won't be invited to the party. Oh look...

Proof that if you say a lie enough you'll actually start to believe it.

Jackson Brown put it best, "running on empty, running behind". This same thread will be explored ad nauseum until dmoz is ranked 100k (2015). Even Dogpile ads point out dmoz's inability to actually be a working directory anymore. Old news, moving on.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
    stevenh, Feb 3, 2012 IP
  4. Buxom_Bold

Buxom_Bold Peon

Best Answers:
    No, In my opinion... If you submitted your website once, then do not try to re-submit, otherwise your site go to spam in dmoz and it will never publish your site... so, i suggest don't submit twice a site in dmoz.

Buxom_Bold, Feb 3, 2012 IP
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Fortunately, we aren't quite that draconian :)

jimnoble, Feb 3, 2012 IP
  6. ksb2050

Best Answers:
    Yeah but some of us could really use that PR. Try starting a political community, it's successful, but building a community is a slow painful process. Hardly thankful.

Unless you have an in I wouldn't even bother with DMOZ. It's a wasted effort and 10 minutes of your life you will never get back. Oh and you wont get in anyways....so there's that too...

ksb2050, Feb 3, 2012 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Fortunately for DMOZ but unfortunately for you, DMOZ and its editors have absolutely no interest in any value a listing might or might not give to a listing. I don't work in my spare time for no financial reward to act as an unpaid listing service for site owners.I spend my spare time at DMOZ indulging my hobby of collecting and collating sites which might then be of interest to people who want to search the net using such categorised information and views of the value of a listing has no interest to me.

Anonymously, Feb 3, 2012 IP
  8. ksb2050

Best Answers:
    So basically an evasion and a pre-manufactured answer. Thanks. You might have got me if I didn't admin a political forum where this BS gets thrown back and forth daily as reply.

Stop with the volunteer BS. It's annoying. I'm a volunteer Fire Fighter and EMT. My pinky finger has done more real volunteer work than your entire DMOZ experience -___-

ksb2050, Feb 3, 2012 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sorry you seem to be getting upset, when I have told you the truth, but hey why let the truth stand in the way of you wanting to try and dumb a site down because they don't do just what you want them to do.

Anonymously, Feb 4, 2012 IP
  10. ksb2050

Best Answers:
    LOL. The truth? Bullshit. Run back to the DMOZ PR department that's paying (or since your volunteer....patting you on the back? I don't know your reasons) you to stick up for them. If DMOZ is worth the effort why don't you prove it? It has nothing to do with me, there are thousands of webmasters with the same story. SO I took up the mantle and decided to fight it and to prove a point. Problem? It's not like you've defended against it. You've evaded the question and put out some bullshit about truth no one else can understand or figure out. You can't dumb down something that's put itself in a situation and painted itself in that way. To be honest I'm already more than satisfied with your representation of DMOZ. I expected bull shit, I expected evasion, and I expected their lackeys to attempt to shield their tattered reputation from any further damage.....you came a long and did exactly that. Cheers ;)

ksb2050, Feb 4, 2012 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

and never ever expect differently!

They will point to the add page for people to read and follow when submitting, then say that parts of it are incorrect.
    They will change the meaning of terms that are used in every day life, and even terms they themselves have used and are using, yet it's new meaning is somehow different then anything ever associated with such a word outside of the ODP itself.
    They will hide behind a non-disclosure yet break it when it suits them.
    They say it's OK for AOL itself to break it own rules (which I guess it is) but then call people out on doing it themselves.
    They will also call ex-editors out on things are are perfectly fine within the guidelines as if they did something wrong, then go on and defend current editors that are doing exactly the same thing because its within the rules.

so yeah, evasion and BS... glad you came along! Though don't expect any editor to ever concede... only troll.

Qryztufre, Feb 4, 2012 IP
  12. iamtheb

iamtheb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    go and get in Y!

iamtheb, Feb 4, 2012 IP
  13. loveson1

loveson1 Member

Best Answers:
    In my knowledge DMOZ doesn't approve because now they charge money on submission

loveson1, Feb 4, 2012 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    If you are being asked too pay, please post the information for all to see.

If you are not being asked to pay, that's how it's supposed to work.

The harsh reality is they are just slow.

Qryztufre, Feb 4, 2012 IP
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Please do offer your proof, we would love to see it. You either have the proof or you are just making it up. I prefer the last.

Anonymously, Feb 4, 2012 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Proof that some listings are paid for

http://www.freelancer.com/users/feedback_2198118.html

but again,

But thanks for following right behind me asking for the same thing :D

Qryztufre, Feb 5, 2012 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You don´t need to use double negation, you could as well say: "I work in my spare time for financial reward to act as a paid listing service for site owners."

Just out of curiosity, what freelance site do you use to market your services?:)

gworld, Feb 5, 2012 IP
  18. sumdor

sumdor Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think people don't have time to go to DMOZ and search for websites. Only a few advertisers check it out to get info. If they don't aspprove what the big deal. Move on ... if Google does not list or index you then you should worry.

sumdor, Feb 6, 2012 IP
  19. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its the encyclopedia of the Web, in 5 years a new version is coming out!

joeventura, Feb 7, 2012 IP
  20. Buxom_Bold

Buxom_Bold Peon

Best Answers:
    No, you should not resubmit to dmoz.

Buxom_Bold, Feb 8, 2012 IP