1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I make link detail pages?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by bobby9101, Sep 28, 2007.

Hi, i am debating, should I make link details pages for my new directory?
    I was thinking I would have a full article that I the admin would write on the site, the page would also contain a 800*600 screenshot, as well as several other things. But Then I thought it out, would a human actually go to a link details page to get information about a site? Why wouldn't they just go straight to the website to see what it looks like, and why read an article about it? Why not just read the website?
    So can anyone give me reason to make link detail pages?
    I mean the only two reason I can think of are, A. more indexed pages (I couldn't care less) B. more link juiced passed on to my submitter's sites, but no value to visitors.
    I don't think it is worth it, what do you think?

bobby9101, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  2. choice

choice Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    detail pages are a good idea

you could give the submitter the option of having there company address and/or contact details on there as well this is a feature i will shortly add to the blurb

choice, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  3. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I am planning on listing contact details on the links page

4. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can write a full unique article about every website listed than be assured that google will love those pages and will send you a lot of traffic which will qualify as targetted traffic for the listed website.
    That's too much time consuming though.

enQuira, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  5. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am determined to not be made for Google, it is so easy to get caught up with Google in this market, but I honestly don't want something that visitors won't use. So if anyone has a reason to make it, related to humans. Please let me know.

6. panob

panob Guest

Best Answers:
    detail pages are always a good idea!

Why not made for google? If you made it for Google, them you are also made this page for other SE as well. I have it on my directory and we get alot of visits directly to the details pages

panob, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  7. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    detail pages get indexed by google. They then rank high alone, rather than when on a page with other links. You then pass more traffic to listed sites....

mikey1090, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  8. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, If you will make detail pages and provide a review/article of each site listed, then those pages will get index in Google (plus other search engines). (provided you are not blocking SE-bots)

An average user searching something related to the site/subject will see "your" page about the site and will come to your site. He will read the info (if that's what he is looking for) and will probably visit the site as well.

Isn't that what you want to do???
    Isn't that what we want to do??

Fastian, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  9. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    Detail pages are good in most cases. More to index and additional keywors or phrases should help with SEO. If it does not work out you can always revert back and go without detail pages.

reapr, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  10. saadahmed007

saadahmed007 Admínistratör

Best Answers:
    No, you should not create detail pages.IMO they just leak more link juice from your directory.

saadahmed007, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  11. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, i was nearly convinced to use it, but then someone has used my idea, and I decided to grant them permission.
    So yeah no link details, thanks for the discussion about it, I think I will do it on my next directory

12. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone telling you detail pages are good are directory owners.

I hate them. They offer no use to me as a website owner nor as a user of a directory. Any info you have for a site (or deep links) could just as easily be published along with the site's listing on the category page. My 2 cents.

Bernard, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  13. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Edit: There was a mixup, nobody is using my idea. Someone had a similar idea awhile ago.

bobby9101, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  14. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    hey bobby ... this is my take on detail pages:

if you are going to have them, create them for the user not the bots. I strongly believe that the majority of detail pages out there provide no value to a potential visitor or lister for that matter. Does Joe blow visitor looking for a fishing rod care what the site's page rank is? Do they care what the site's alexa traffic is? Heck NO!

Build them if you expect to provide value to your visitors. Take a quick peek at this detail page for an example.

cheers

LaCabra, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  15. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most detail pages are a waste of pixels, but I've come across one or two examples that aren't because they add a lot of extra information. So only do this if you can find a way to add something valuable, and I don't count pagerank and Alexa figures in this category.

LaCabra's example is good, and I also remember a camping directory (I think) that had a details page with opening times and dates, location info, and a few more things that made the thing really useful. It doesn't matter if these things are usually on the website as well, because if you can make the things on your details page searchable then that adds another level of convenience for your visitors. For instance, finding all the campsite listings open in October in a certain state would save time, rather than having to go through the category for that state and check all the websites individually.

Obelia, Sep 29, 2007 IP
    LaCabra likes this.
  16. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    That was the plan before I decided not to
    That's a good point, I am planning on collecting some useful information on submission, so I can make lists with that, those should help my visitors find information easier

bobby9101, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  17. mywebsearches

mywebsearches Peon

Best Answers:
    Great example!!! I want to add an article about the history of each listing, but so far the only solution that I have is to add an extra field.

Does any have a better idea?

mywebsearches, Sep 29, 2007 IP