1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I learn ASP?

Discussion in 'C#' started by mnymkr, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been programming vb.net and asp.net in Visual Studio for years now and love it. I'm always coming up with something new that would be a pain to do in other languages...and if you become proficient in using Visual Studio, put it on your resume, tons of companies look for people with that experience under their belt....

Firegirl, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  2. AndyFarrell

AndyFarrell Peon

Best Answers:

example:

if you want to build a site with membership all you have to do is download visual studios with sql 2005. create a ne project and drag the login control on the any page. same for the create user control.

AndyFarrell, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  3. mnymkr

mnymkr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    really that is all....how do you tell it which pages are for members and which is not or what items are for members and what are not

mnymkr, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  4. AndyFarrell

AndyFarrell Peon

Best Answers:
    if(User.IsAuthenticated)
    {

}

AndyFarrell, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  5. mnymkr

mnymkr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thats it!!!!!

mnymkr, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  6. JenniP

JenniP Peon

Best Answers:
    There are more ways of doing it but basically yes thats it. You can even use some of the sitemap tools to specify which areas of the site are accessible to which roles as well so you don't even need code. It will even adjust site navigation automatically to hide pages they user cant see.

Jen

JenniP, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  7. benjymouse

benjymouse Peon

Best Answers:
    www.asp.net is a great place to start. And I second that C# opinion, especially if coming from PHP.

The really hard part coming from PHP is realizing how powerful the ASP.NET framework is. Often you will find yourself coding some functionality and then later realize that it was - in fact - built right into ASP.NET.

Taking the "authentication" sample from previously in this thread, you no not even need to put that code into your pages. A simple configuration setting (in web.config) like this:

<allow roles="Editors, Subscribers" />
    <deny users="*" />

will govern access to all pages in the directory of the config file and the directories below; unless overridden. No code needed in any of the pages. It's declarative security.

benjymouse, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  8. mnymkr

mnymkr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i loaded all the stuff on my computer

visual studio and sql express

i got a good machine and now everything is slow and draggin

took it off

bam fast again

mnymkr, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  9. adrevol

adrevol Active Member

Best Answers:
    No language is evil , it depends on requirement.. Dont scare him ...

i would suggest w3schools .. for a beginner that is too cool place .. to learn to practice ..

adrevol, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  10. JenniP

JenniP Peon

Best Answers:
    How much memory do you have? SQL Server Express will stay running as its a service and use some of it, if you just stop it when your not using it it everything be fine.

Just remember Visual Studio and SQL Server are professional tools they do require fairly powerful machines (Well actually they more need loads of memory).

Jen

JenniP, Sep 16, 2007 IP
  11. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    learn ASP.NET with C#. it's a great combination and many company looks for people with such talent.

toby, Sep 16, 2007 IP
  12. MarkusJ_NZ

MarkusJ_NZ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Something that alot of PHP programmers overlook is the fact that you can build true n-tier applications with C#. You can build your data-access layer, your business layer as seperate class libraries and then when you need to create a website, you only need to link up the HTML (Or ASP.NET server controls to be pedantic) to your business logic. If you need to create a windows application you just need to link up the webforms to you business logic. PHP does not have "true classes" and does not really offer "true oop".

As a web scripting language much like ASP, PHP is absolutely brilliant and if I had to learn one it would be PHP over ASP simply as it does not rely on Microsoft servers and you can build very powerful websites. Note, that is the keyword, "websites", as soon as you want to create an application other than a website you have to do a total rewrite.

I use C# everyday as I need the flexability to build true n-tier applications and C# allows me to seperate out the layers into different libraries (Sorry, include files do not count).

This is not a PHP sucks post, far from it as I am a huge fan of PHP. It's wonderful but I really only think you can compare PHP to ASP, the .NET framework and programming language is a completely different beast.. I cannot wait for the day when you can build truly OOP libraries in PHP and abstract out programming layers but until then, I'll have to keep my day job as a peon of evil Microsoft.

My two cents, let the flaming begin ;)

MarkusJ_NZ, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  13. balaramraju

balaramraju Peon

Best Answers:
    yes u learn asp first u start from c++ knowledge after html main consepts css,mouseclick, server scripts,...... after u start asp finally u become a professional ....

in asp...

balaramraju, Oct 8, 2007 IP