1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I go into Content Writing?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by JudyJiaStyle, May 5, 2006.

1. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree with Smyrl, I think there are huge oportunities out there for content writers / editors. I am guessing the problem with many writers is that they lack the business sense to make-it with online writing. Perhaps some even feel it is a step-down, especially if they have been published. I remember when I first met someone over at sitepoint and she was just starting out and working for peanuts.....now about a year later you need to wait a month to book her and her prices are much higher.

good luck

jg123, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  2. dxpgroup

dxpgroup Peon

Best Answers:
    ok. it might be a good place to ask this : if i have some articles where can i post them (web design, development, seo related articles).

Thanks.

dxpgroup, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  3. musicsmysoul

musicsmysoul Peon

Best Answers:
    It is a very difficult job. However, if you are experienced and talented, it will be a great side job. Although I do not do it full time, my article writing company has grown into a huge service due to these amazing DP members :)

I'd say if you have samples to show people, start off small. I started off with one client a few months ago and have made my way up to dozens upon dozens. If you do a good job, word of mouth can really do a lot for you. Charge reasonably, but also respect your talent, and your time. If you are working your butt off for only $3 an article, there is a problem.

I only make about $1k a month as we speak, but it is worth it. You get to do what you love and meet amazing people while you do it. :)

musicsmysoul, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  4. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    Is content writing here to stay? This is something that concerns me a bit. Should I be worried?

KeywordsandCopy, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  5. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    People are always going to need content. But my guess would be that the search engines will get "smarter" over time, giving preference to the truly quality content, meaning writers are going to have to up their skills and background knowledge rather than being able to simply write based on given keywords and random online research. On the positive side, it means they'll be able to charge more if they really put out good work.

Jenn

jhmattern, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  6. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    Won't that be nice? LOL

This has been a fascinating thread to follow. There are so many opinions and professionals in various writing facets on this board. I started writing for webmasters only recently, but have to agree with those who feel quality wins out in the end.

I'm certainly not the best in the field, and don't have aspirations of industry dominance, but I can throw some words together, put commas (and semicolons *gasp*) in the right place, and I have done pretty well for myself. At the moment, I am averaging roughly $25 per hour working part-time. Ironically, this is more than I make as a Language Arts teacher, but I digress...

I think content will always be around, but that over time, content that is easy and enjoyable to read will take precedence over garbled keyword content. As far as I'm concerned, if you love to write, can do it passably well and have the time to commit to the marketing aspect of things, there is no reason to NOT get started in the field.

Rebecca

internetauthor, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  7. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I would assume so... but then again, I already specialize in my field and charge more for that expertise, so it won't affect me too much, other than that I'll have to adjust rates a bit to adapt to more competition (although I highly doubt there will be a rush on public relations degrees just because Google cares more about quality articles). ;)

Oh, I've definitely got aspirations of industry dominance. ;) j/k

I agree though. There's no reason why you shouldn't write if you enjoy it. And if you're not good at it, well then start your own site and practice, practice, practice. And if you still can't write, why not get into a supplemental line of work, like typing manuscripts or reports, or doing research? It's a broad industry.

Jenn

jhmattern, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  8. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They already do. That's why one-way incoming links are important ;)

Tyler Banfield, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  9. anbee

anbee Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, with that attitude you'll do great. Go and sign up at elance.com and guru.com -- there's a mile of content work available.

Good luck with it. :)

anbee, Sep 2, 2006 IP