1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I expose my affiliate site?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by justPlugIn, Jan 14, 2011.

Hi all,

I have a general question about marketing and affiliating.

Assume I want to affiliate for a company, let's say in the field of commercial kitchen supplies. And let's say that I already have a small site (built with wordpress) that writes about commercial kitchen products.

Parameters:
    • The site is still rather small (only 3 articles so far).
    • The site is informative and compares products (trying to give added value by figuring out which product is preferable).
    • Site includes products from competitors in the field.

Would it be advisable to show the advertiser my site while trying to apply to his/her program?

How do advertisers see affiliate sites that compare products from different advertisers (creating competition?)?

I would be happy and grateful to hear your thoughts about it.
    Thanks,
    J

justPlugIn, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  2. Giamatti

Giamatti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you should show your own site with only your affiliate products on it. dont go and push them to your affiliate site since hes creating his own competition on his site. your conversion willbe much higher if you show your own affiliate site.

Giamatti, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  3. scyuang

scyuang Peon

Best Answers:
    go to your affiliate-related fourms and post some good post there, then leave the link of your site as the sigature....it will bring some laser targeted visitors...

scyuang, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  4. justPlugIn

justPlugIn Peon

Best Answers:
    Somehow these are not the answers to what I asked - I guess my question was not clear enough. I will try again:

I affiliate on a certain field/subject but I represent several advertisers on that field, not only one. This gives me more flexibility because being an affiliate for a greater number of advertisers means that I have a bigger product range to select from and a bigger price range I can compare.

The question is: how does an advertiser sees one of my pages if he/she see products from his shop being compared to similar products from a shop of a competitor advertiser? Will they get angry and throw me out of the program?

justPlugIn, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  5. olapeju

olapeju Peon

Best Answers:
    I will expect you not to compare the companies/products you are marketing (affiliate) for, you can only compare the ones you are marketing for with those you are not marketing for, even mentioning companies/products name when doing the comparison brings problems in the offline marketing, unless you use a common name for the products e.g. paste, not a particular product, laundry soap and not a particular soap, I hope you get the message. You should be fair in your review, write a bit negative about the products you are marketing and conclude it with the positive and the advantages of the products. comparison should not take place at all, you should rather review.

olapeju, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  6. olapeju

olapeju Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont expect you to compare products you are marketing (affiliate), you should rather review by starting with a bit of negativity then conclude with the advantages/positive sides of the products. If at all you want to compare you should not mention the products you are against you can use a common name like toothpaste, laundry soap, schools and avoid mentioning the particular toothpaste, laundry soap etc. I hope you get my points.

olapeju, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  7. olapeju

olapeju Peon

Best Answers:
    I will not expect you to compare products/companies you are marketing(affiliate), it is better to review or compare the ones you are marketing with those you are not marketing at all. I advice you dont mention products names when doing the comparison but rather use a common name like toothpaste, laundry soap, schools, etc.

olapeju, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  8. justPlugIn

justPlugIn Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi olapeju,

thank you for your answer.

I never write bad things about other products but rather point out the positive sides in the product I want to market.

Let's say today I want to market headsets (out of a wide range of electrical appliances. SO I could check them out and find out that headset A is better than headsets B & C. So I write a review about it. In the review I put all three in a table and point out the features of each, mentioning the good features. In the end, it comes out that headset A is better and I write it. Do you think this is a bad practice?

I want to give my site's visitors added value, not simply copy a spec sheet of the manufacturer's site. If I "can't" compare products - what added value can I give?

I appreciate your opinion,
    J.

justPlugIn, Jan 15, 2011 IP