1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I block indexing of these pages?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by skinsey, Mar 1, 2013.

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice here on a decision. My site has a very folder based structure that's centered around geographical locations. So my site structure goes like:

Country --> Region --> Town --> Landing Page

So right now the pages at all those levels are indexed, but the information on the country, region and town pages isn't really that different, it's just at a higher level than the one below.

I'm wondering if I should block the country, region and town pages from being indexed and just have the landing pages where I ultimately want the visitor to go be indexed.

Initially this seems logical to me as I don't want importance to seep through to these other pages. My main concern though is that I'd end up with a lot less pages indexed in google and therefore would my site be ranked as less important?

Be good to get all opinions and advice on this.

Thanks

skinsey, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  2. traxport121

traxport121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Use the rel = "canonical" tag on the pages that contain identical information. In this way search engines would conside just the master page as the original content holder and not consider it as content duplication.

traxport121, Mar 2, 2013 IP
  3. MattsBackpack

MattsBackpack Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Completely agree with traxport121, rel canonical is perfect for this kind of situation. You get the best of both worlds using that.

MattsBackpack, Mar 2, 2013 IP
  4. Serp Creation

Serp Creation Member

Best Answers:
    And you shouldn't blog categories, it would affect your pages/post which are posted in the category, probably they wouldn't be indexed as well.

Serp Creation, Mar 2, 2013 IP