1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should Google Spend Less Time on New Products & More on the Search Engine?

Discussion in 'Google' started by adwordaffiliate, Aug 23, 2006.

?

Is Google trying to Expand too quickly whilst Neglecting their Search Engine?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
    I feel like G is trying to take over too many Avenues at once whilst neglecting what put them at the top in the first place, their Search Engine.

What do you think?

adwordaffiliate, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  2. 1EightT

1EightT Guest

Best Answers:
    I would say yes. The other thing that bothers me about google is that they come out with all these sub projects and they are all in BETA forever! Google news was in beta for a couple years.

1EightT, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  3. davert

davert Banned

Best Answers:
    'Course some of them turn out to be terrific. Google Groups for one. The spreadsheet though...just silly.

davert, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  4. Hammy

Hammy Peon

Best Answers:
    I enjoy using Google search features, but I'm sick of them trying to take over the world. I realize it's businesss and that's what happens, but I'd still like to see them back off or atleast get stepped on a little by someone else.

Hammy, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  5. 1EightT

1EightT Guest

Best Answers:
    not going to happen now that they have investors to worry about. Google is going to be just like microsoft in a couple years

1EightT, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  6. idotcom

idotcom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh... heck yea... They are totally lost. Spreading real thin. Ever since they started their (what seems like hundreds of other tools and services), anyone can clearly see that they're losing grip. AND I HATE THE NEW LAYOUT!!! can't get rid of it!!!!???

The way I see it... they're stomping on a LOT of little guys trying to start something. How can small startup sites make it when the search engine company knocks them out the water by starting a new service? F that.

It seems that soon enough, they will have a service for every market... and then what? The millions of general consumers/users, will use google and forget about the other sites. It's unfair... I mean .... none of their content is original!!! It's all everyone else's content and they're cashing in on it. While competing with the original site using it's own content. Like video

idotcom, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  7. Hammy

Hammy Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya, it's frustrating as heck at times but the comforting part is that no one rules the world forever. Plus, you made a good point when you said they are spreading themselves way thin. Rarely a good plan.

Hammy, Aug 24, 2006 IP
  8. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I voted no (only one) because i believe that Google is giving a lot of attention to search. Ok nothing is ever enough.

It is diversyfing because it knows that when MS Vista comes out, MSN will become the number 1 or the closest competitor to Google

infonote, Aug 24, 2006 IP
  9. idotcom

idotcom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    infonote, your opinion is welcome :) Even if it's the only one :D

I, however, haven't noticed a real change in the search engine itself for a long time, other than the stupid layout change. But I have seen lot's of new search tools intruding on small to med markets. General rule of thumb... don't compete with your users.... you know?

And... google is a search engine damnit! Not MS! If google's search was that Super Duper Untouchable Technology, they wouldn't have to worry about MS for search. They should really be worried about yahoo. I see a good future coming up for yahoo.

I'm actually hoping MS takes google's position one day... so that all them "do no evil" geeks at google can feel the slap they're placing on all the small mom and pop startup sites that have to compete with google.

my 2 cents

idotcom, Aug 24, 2006 IP
  10. adwordaffiliate

adwordaffiliate Active Member

Best Answers:
    They still have a good decade or so then with the speed MS is going with Vista :p

adwordaffiliate, Aug 24, 2006 IP
  11. Simon1987

Simon1987 Guest

Best Answers:
    Nah there search engine is still the best one around :)

Simon1987, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  12. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    in recent 1-2 years Google focused on being biggest and forgot quality
    as a result there are repeated quality lapses and db crases - things that never happend in years before 2005

rather than making more an dmore new services/products
    i would prefer G to focus on solid search above all
    there is room for improvement - even for Google

hans, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  13. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Considering the word "beta" is next to alot of their offerings, I have to say yes.

I also see indications that yahoo, aol and MS are teaming up to crush google in the technologies they have already mastered while google seems to be chasing it's tail latey in many areas.

noppid, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  14. career_info_fun

career_info_fun Peon

Best Answers:
    No, i don't think so, i.e. google products & services like news, gmail, orkut, groups, directory, scholar, base, sitemaps, froogle, images/video, Pack, Picasa their are sooo many great products which most of people don't know they only know google for search, and there are lots of products yet to come from google which will be useful ;)

career_info_fun, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  15. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google is doing a great job.

About the Beta thing, its nothing more than legal issues.

Even Microslop started some services as Beta (stealing ideas again).

Google has many services and I wish they evolve faster, unlike other companies its free.

Peace,

Barti1987, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  16. Notorious

Notorious Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i wldn't mind if they fix their search.

Notorious, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  17. seodelhi

seodelhi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google's mission is to rule the internet, by just improving their search engine they won't be able to do that, therefore it's important that they come with new products or else acquire start ups in order to dominate and have a upper hand in the internet space.

No company can become big by focussing on just one product, it's a combination of popular products that make a company popular. for microsoft it's OS, office, internet explorer etc.

For google its only their search engine and adwords, gmail, analytics and other products may follow.

seodelhi, Aug 26, 2006 IP
    Jat likes this.
  18. adwordaffiliate

Best Answers:
    They already rule the internet.....

I agree that developing into other areas is key, however more attention needs to be paid to webmasters & people using the engine. You see why Matt Cutts blog is so popular because people have nowhere else to get any tiny bit of information from about updates/changes etc

adwordaffiliate, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  19. tusen

tusen Active Member

Best Answers:
    I love google... made a website and get 5k visitors a day within the first week =X I LOVE GOOGLE!

tusen, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  20. adwordaffiliate

Best Answers:
    Let me guess, Myspace Layouts? :p

adwordaffiliate, Aug 26, 2006 IP