1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should backlinks point to Main Page or Category pages

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by harish318, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I have a website www.allindiaclub.com with 3 different topics Business, Jobs and Matrimonial.

Thus the main page www.allindiaclub.com has 3 links to these 3 categories.

I am targeting all 3 keywords for the main page viz. "Indian Business Directory" "Indian Jobs" and "Indian Matrimonial"

I am now trying to build reciprocal links and I have 2 questions

1. As such if the anchor text for link is kept as "Indian Business Directory" it will be benefitial. However if I keep the anchor text as "Allindiaclub Indian Business Directory" will I get the same benefit. I am asking since my site name starts with letter A and thus will also be ranked higher in Directories as they are alphabetically ordered but I do not want to loose the advantage of anchor text. In both the cases would I get the same benefit?

2. Should I have backlinks to my main page www.allindiaclub.com for all the 3 categories or should I have backlinks to the Individual categories for the respective submissions done in Directories.

Harish

harish318, Jul 5, 2004 IP
  2. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Harish,

1. I wouldn't do this. You will lose the benifit of the anchor text because nobody is ever going to search on "Allindiaclub Indian Business Directory".

2. It depends on what you want to achieve. Most people start out trying to get their home page found in the SERPs. When they have achieved that they may then work on getting a individual category page found. One of the questions you have to ask is which category earns you the most money? That would be the first category to try and promote.

compar, Jul 5, 2004 IP
  3. harish318

harish318 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thankx Compar. However would like to ask

If I keep anchor text as "Indian Business Directory, Indian Jobs, Indian Matrimonial" i.e all keywords in one anchor link and link it to my main page will I get the benefit for all 3 keywords or should the keywords be seperate i.e "Indian Business Directory" and so on in which case I think it would be wise to link back to respective category pages.

harish318, Jul 5, 2004 IP
  4. Extranet Guy

Extranet Guy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It seems like the concensus is that it's better to have the link go to a deeper page that is optimized for the anchortext (assuming the goal is rankings vs. PR). But on my most competitive terms, the top sites all seem to show the home page in Google's listings. So I've been getting the links for these terms to point to my home page (which also has a theme for the terms, though isn't as well optimized as interior pages). Should I switch course to the deeper pages?

Extranet Guy, Jul 11, 2004 IP
  5. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    harish318,

This isn't the type of input/advice you asked for, but I was browsing your sites and had an immediate knee-jerk reaction that I thought was worth sharing ...feel free to ignore. But, if this were my site ....

First - Add either a header or footer link for homepage with the appropriate anchor text for your 3 main sites....

Indian Business Directory
    Indian Jobs
    Indian Matrimonial

Next - There is lots and lots of content here but the URLs are not spider friendly. Use isapirewrite (http://www.isapirewrite.com) to clean them up. It should be fairly easy to do since each section really only has a couple of URL's to cleanup.

For example:
    http://www.allindiaclub.com/asps/business_search.asp?Indus_Type=Electronics and Electrical&Title=Electronics and Electrical Indian Directory – Electronics and Electrical Manufacturers Suppliers Exporters Directory India&Description=Electronics and Electrical Indian Directory – All India Electronics and Electrical Manufacturers, Suppliers, Companies, Exporters, Importers Traders, Wholesalers, Distributors, Dealers, Agents, Retailers, Resellers, Buyers, Sellers and Trade Leads Business Directory All India Club

Are you kidding me? Good god man - clean that up. The url should be incrediblly simple like http://www.allindiaclub.com/search-1 and then use isapirewrite to go to a single search page and has a switch statement to do the correct search. This will get these pages indexed by spiders immediately.

The URLs on the next page are not so bad and most spiders won't have a problem with them:
    http://www.allindiaclub.com/asps/Cust_Detail.asp?Cust_Id=639
    but, I would even clean those up. Biggest problem with these pages is that the TITLE does not contain the Company Name ... the TITLE for these pages should be the same as the anchor text of the previous page.

Also - on this page, make every entry a url with a link to its own page even if it is just the same information with another line ... "No additional detail available". More pages the better.

The same principles apply to each of your sites ... another quick example:

http://www.allindiaclub.com/asps/MCust_Detail.asp?Cust_Id=762

I would break that page into at least 2 and maybe 3 ... The main would have the picture, the About Me, Looking For and maybe a bit more and then a "More Details" link would show the rest of the information.

Aslo on the matrimonial side ... if you have a large database of these profiles, then you need to find a way to get the spiders to see more of them ... an easy way would be under each of your "Featured" sections hava a link for "more ..." and then on that page show 100 or better yet, hundreds through a multiple-page listing.

Anyway ... good luck. Looks like you have captured lots of good, unique content ... you should put more focus on making it spider friendly IMHO.

Nitin M, Jul 11, 2004 IP
  6. domokun

domokun Peon

Best Answers:
    1> Definitely dont do this. As already highlighted you'll waste a source of optimisation
    2> id say go for the directory level. it'll be easier to build addition (external) links to this level then to the (deeper) level below

domokun, Jul 12, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.