1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Short Cuts

Discussion in 'Programming' started by tsptom, Apr 26, 2004.

Does anyone have any tricks to making the same change on multiple html pages? When I make a new entry on a menu I have to change everypage. Is there some sort of global change trick in FrontPage or Dreamweaver that can do this? I guess this is where frames are beneficial.

Thanks

tsptom, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  2. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Use server side include files for all those things.

compar, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    The other option is get a good text editor like TextPad and use it's search and replace functionality.

compar, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    We ran into trouble with our host on using server side includes (they claimed we were using up too much server resources) and went to client side includes.

Smyrl, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  5. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver has a good Find and Replace feature to were you just copy the code you want to find, open up the Find and Replace window (I think it is under the Edit menu) and then tell Dreamweaver which folders and files to look at then copy and paste in the code you want to replace the old code with. Then I hit Find All so that I can check over all the files dreamweaver finds, then I hit Replace All and it will replace all the old text with the new text.

I'd also recommend backing up all these files in another folder just in case you or Dreamweaver ;) makes a misake.

Also if you have all your website files in one folder or folders within that folder, or even better, exactly like (file structure wise) what is uploaded to the server, then you can use dreamweaver to "Define a Site" and features in there might be able to do this sort of thing.
    I know if you have a "Define a Site" you can change your file names easily and have all the links to them updated automatically.

HTH

Such Great Heights, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  6. tsptom

tsptom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks! I'll try your suggestions.

tsptom, Apr 26, 2004 IP