1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Shopping Cart Abandonment

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by ju2ltd, Nov 21, 2006.

Selling £1000 items of furniture on line and suffering a high level of cart abandonment. Can anybody give me some advice? We get good progression through most of the checkout procedure but about 95% of users leave at the page where customers are asked to enter thier credit card address (not numbers - the credit card check is done later by SECPAY). The site although heavily customised in some areas is pretty much bog standard Actinic at checkout.

ju2ltd, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Install Google Analytics and set up funneling so you know exactly where they bail out. Then at that point all you can do is try and test and collect new feedback via Analytics, or hire some expert to look at it.

Make sure your forms are on SSL and epxlain why you're taking such details.

T0PS3O, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  3. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not having seen your shopping cart but it is possible that they may just be trying to see what the total costing is for the furnitures that they may be interested to purchase but never follow through as they may not be prepared to accept them as yet. Or they could not find their credit card at that point of time.

Actually, I am guilty of doing such a thing myself too. Sometimes I feel that making the purchase may be too rash a decision or that it suddenly dawn on me that it is beyond my budget or that I don't really need the items. If there is a way to save the shopping cart for the next several days, it may be useful as the customers may come back again to complete the transaction.

eddy2099, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  4. ju2ltd

ju2ltd Peon

Best Answers:
    We are using Clicktracks to look in detail at the cart. Theproblem is with one page where users entertheir cc address.

ju2ltd, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  5. ju2ltd

ju2ltd Peon

Best Answers:
    Spirit walker - this thought has occurred to me. This is the first page which adds up all the costs for the first time. But abandonment is so high I suspect there is something else going on.

ju2ltd, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  6. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you able to do a test purchase through the complete purchase sequence ? Could the system be rejecting their address ?

It might help if you have a notice to state that they will be reverted to Secpay to complete the purchase process.

eddy2099, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  7. fatmagoo

fatmagoo Peon

Best Answers:
    Cross posting wastes time, by the way:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=182847

The fact is, if you are selling $1000 furniture, don't be cheap and get yourself a proper merchant account.

I assume you do have a reputable SSL cert installed and no horrible errors on any of your existing checkout pages?

fatmagoo, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  8. ju2ltd

ju2ltd Peon

Best Answers:
    We will probably go to using a proper merchant account soon but the problem is before that stage. The Checkout procedure goes like this 1. Add to Cart > 2. Checkout Request Postcode > 3. Postcode Added (Delivery Charge Calculated) > 4. Request Users Credit Card Address (option to select a different delivery address) > 5. Checkout Summay Screen > 6. Credit Card Authorisation via PSP. The problem is between steps 4 and 5 i.e. 95% drop off after 4. If you have time take a look www.reidfurniture.com/store/uk

Sorry about the cross posting earlier.

ju2ltd, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  9. jamus

jamus Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, it maybe just me but I would use your site to work out what I liked - then use the checkout to see how much it costs THEN I'd visit your shop to see the sofa/whatever in the physical sense (make sure it real comfy etc) then probably buy in store.

Maybe you should have an option to get uses to say they will be coming in?

jamus, May 25, 2007 IP
  10. wizardofx

wizardofx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    5% success rate seems pretty standard to me for this kind
    of stuff. They want to know how much it is, and maybe
    how much the shipping is, then compare elsewhere.

If you were selling cheaper stuff, or stuff that you don't have
    to get the rest of the family's consensus on you would probably
    have higher succes rates.

best regards
    wiz

wizardofx, Sep 21, 2007 IP