1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Shoemoney gets extorted by corrupt DMOZ editor for $5000

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by emmawatson, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    1) for the high PR/backlink

2) your link spills over into Google Directory as well

3) DMOZ syndicates to AOL, Netscape and other engines

4) Alexa uses DMOZ:

I personally dont care about a few of those points, but that's basically it

Pixelrage, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1) for the high PR/backlink
    There are several examples of sites in PR4+ categories that have no PR themselves, and many of them have been listed for a rather long time (as in they are in Google)

2) your link spills over into Google Directory as well
    Once every two years is hardly something to add to a list of bragging rights.

3) DMOZ syndicates to AOL, Netscape and other engines
    DMOZ clones in many cases do as much harm as good due to duplicate content and repetition of keyword/phrases. Once the syndication is over your SERP perks are about as they were before the inclusion.

4) Alexa uses DMOZ:
    I have no counterpoint for this one... though I can say that do you know someone other then a webmaster that uses Alexa?

All in all, the pros and cons of being listed are about even, hence the two rules...

Submit and Forget
    Forget to Submit

Qryztufre, Aug 28, 2007 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    There is something that dearest Julain said the other day
    which quite nicely illustrates the bizarre double standard that many hold the ODP to. If editors get removed for abuse its just a "stupid excuse" or "just suspicion of doing something wrong" we actually need more blatant abuse before we do anything.

But when there is suspicion of abusive editors from the outside, we get screams of injustice and howls of corruption. If Julian posts a few vague difficult to substantiate accusations in this forum we are supposed to start blasting away at peoples accounts.

The shoemoney guy has also started a chorus of howling. Apparently he gets an email from someone. He does he not supply the name, email address, email header, contents of the email or anything? Instead we get another unsubstantiated accusation.

nebuchadrezzar, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  4. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, right. :p

As I have said in other post if you open everything to the public anyone can see the evidence and then gworld/Julian will look like fraud or won't he?

And that calls for instant removal??? I've seen people do ten times worse stuff on Wikipeda trashing entire articles going into open editwars, admins steps in gives him a slap on fingers by banning him for few days or months (and this decision is not a secret but open to everyone and other users and admins can cancel it!) after which he cools down and continues being productive member of community, at DMOZ nobody gives a **** about editors - when you make mistake you are kicked out and anyone that dares to speak against is risking removal also... great community for masochist.

Ivan Bajlo, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  5. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    WHAT??? So we catch the mysterious $5000 bribe solicitor and ban him for a couple of days. And then he comes a "productive member of community" Good grief...what planet are you from?

6. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm talking about jdevalk and you twist my words and then you wonder why everyone hates you and with you being defender of DMOZ it comes as surprise why it has such bad reputation? Your posts probably did more damage to DMOZ integrity then gworld's years of ranting. :(

Ivan Bajlo, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  7. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    If you go and read your post that immediately is after my reference to the unsubstantiated bribe offer you will find that it is quite logical for one to conclude it was the $5000 guy to which you were referring. Thus my abrupt reaction. If it were indeed jdevalk to which you referred, yes it may be that what he did was not as bad as the $5000 guy and I ask you to forgive me for my misunderstanding of your post.

That "everyone hates me" is of no concern as I did not come here to make friends. Except perhaps with Julian.

8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Cut and pasting a sentence, so you can repeat your nonsense. :rolleyes:

The question was if DMOZ removes editors so easily then why some people are never removed no matter how much evidence is provided regarding their abuse. I understand that you don't like to answer this question; your job here is to defend the pedophiles and corruption with as much BS as you can master and not really discussing the issues since you know very well that DMOZ is corrupt to the core. :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  9. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So was shoemoney.com ever listed as Shoemoney claimed? If so who removed the site?

And jdevalk stated that he was removed as an editor for listing shoemoney in his bookmarks and making a comment in an editor's page about shoemoney.com.

Please fill us in on the supposed listing/delisting of shoemoney and removal of jdevalk. Was shoemoney's site removed after the extortion threat and was jdevalk removed for bookmarking and commenting on shoemoney?

tbarr60, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  10. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The website was first listed by accident in Jan 2007 (because of the 2006 system crash no information "EDITOR NOTES" survived prior to that)... and was promptly removed... It was again listed in Mar 2007 (this time only the rss feed) and editor noted that the domain was appropriate for the category 'weblogs'.

It was removed in April because of the "bribe issue"... the domain had the warning "not to list" which informed editors to do that: "not to list".

The (ex)editor in question wasn't told why their privileges were revoked - all talk on that was speculation. The most plausible answer is verbal abuse of another editor - which is never tolerated.

fathom, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Where does DMOZ finds all these BS factories? :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    This comes as no surprise to me.. DMOZ and their editors are all scum bags..

- Former DMOZ editor..

PS... I would not play their game and was fired as a result.

Mia, Aug 29, 2007 IP
    GTech likes this.
  13. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is the entire paragraph
    You said that lots of editors are removed for stupid reasons or just suspicion, No matter what way you spin it Julian, that is what you said. Did you not mean to say it or something?

And what issues would you like to discuss Julain? You do realize that would require two way dialogue without your normal rhetoric and posts ending on a rolled eye smilie indicating sarcasm?

14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

The fact that Julian was made an editor should be proof positive that things are not quite right in DMOZ land..:eek:

Mia, Aug 29, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder what did you do that they had to fire you since ass kissing and lack of principals just comes naturally to you which makes you an ideal editor in the eyes of DMOZ. :rolleyes:

Why should I try to spin it? Are you posting that you agree with removing editors for stupid nonsense while Admin and Meta can stay on, no matter how much evidence exist for their corruption? :confused:

Buy DMOZ links for $50 from DMOZ editors.

gworld, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  16. gboisseau

gboisseau Peon

Best Answers:
    All scum bags? Give me a break! How can you make such a generalized statement about all editors being scum bags? The ODP did the world a favor by firing you.

gboisseau, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

I rest my case..

Mia, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  18. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Jeeze, Julian we have have gone the full circle. Remember when I first came here and in my naivety I sent you a PM asking for the the details of the abuse you had ample evidence for, and was fobbed of with a non substantive reply. We are now back at the beginning. If there is a meta or admin abusing their position I would do everything in my power to help you end that persons ODP career. Please share that evidence. (Wow I got strong feelings of déjà vu saying that to ya Julian). But to do that we need some evidence, or at least a starting point for further investigation.

By the way that story you keep regurgitating about the editor called phone-something and the adult meta and something that they may or may have not done two years ago is not what I am after.

19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The irony here is that Julian, the biggest DMOZ basher is now the biggest DMOZ supporter. Go figure... Power Corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Mia, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How did I support DMOZ? :confused:
    Dumb people make stupid post, dumbest make a post like the above. :D

gworld, Aug 29, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.