1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Shoemoney gets extorted by corrupt DMOZ editor for $5000

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by emmawatson, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Holy crap! People still argue about DMOZ!? :eek: The same people too I see (a few with new names)- ha ha ha!

And here I was thinking we could just close this part of the forum.

Crazy_Rob, Sep 19, 2007 IP
    CReed and minstrel like this.
  2. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    What?? How could you have a site associated with something that you believe to be as degenerate as you claim the ODP to be? Is this the guy who is on a mission to destroy the ODP, joined as an editor, and then went on to clearly and distinctly mutter something about the ODP being unfair and then quit in a huff? Now you are hanging out for a link from the directory. I thought you were promoting your self as Mister Integrity?

nebuchadrezzar, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Having a link in a category that is not directly related to the other problem categories is different then being an editor with a voice, or worse, an editall or higher with the ability to make the ODP better. Like Robjones for instance...he came here with the purpose to remove our links upon request knowing full well there are almost a years worth of sites in review and many of the sites that have passed review need to be reviewed again.

Besides, I said that a LINK there was no worse then a link on any other directory. That LINK is more then just mine, it belongs to an entire site and all of the people that are members of that site. So stop thinking I'm so self-centered ~ I have a community to think about, but I guess being a part of a community is beyond your comprehension...

So one more time, don't waste time here bickering with us, log into to DMOZ and get to fixing it. Stop saying that it's not broken or not corrupt....not when Skrenta logged in this month.

Qryztufre, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do you really not think we should be allowed to decide how we spend our spare time? You who left now telling us that we should not post here but go and work in the directory you deprecate?
    You spend your time how you like and I will do the same.

Anonymously, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    OK, continue to allow your community to degrade into oblivion while you troll in in this one.

I find it odd that you left my bolded part bolded but didn't bother to reply to it. maybe I will reapply as an editor...I'll list some topix links for inclusion. Maybe I can be one of Skrenta's lackeys so bothersome meta can't bother me.

Qryztufre, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  6. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    You know, I reckon I could hear violins playing what I read that, so you are not only Mr Integrity but you are Mr Selfless as well.
    What is it with Skrenta? Is that your big discovery - Skrenta logged in. What do you think Skrenta's involvement in the ODP is nowdays? Why do I think you are going to say something bizzare again?

nebuchadrezzar, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  7. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    No please don't I have made over 800 posts here alone. :D

Ivan Bajlo, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  8. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My time, my choice how I spend it.

You could be working there, but shucks you chose to leave, but you are now concerned about it, well concerned enough to tell me how to spend my spare time.

Anonymously, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  9. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Posted by the minstrel: Just what we need around here - another DMOZ troll.

ROFL. I've made exactly one post in DP and that makes me a Dmoz troll. I thought to qualify one might have to hang around and make 14.000 plus posts over just a few years and speak with self-important authority about the inner workings of a directory where I'd never even been an editor. :-P

Oh well... I offered to help you guys dissociate yourself from a directory you say is useless and reprehensible... but despite posturing and bluster, not one of you backs your words with the matching action. Big shock.

For those that have been making all the racket on that subject... in case you missed it... your credibility just went into the toilet. At least I'm building something, and it's a something you've admitted has value by your actions, even if your words say otherwise. I have no idea what hanging around here griping day after day has accomplished, but frankly it kinda sad... you boys need to get out more.

That is all. We now return you to your regularly scheduled useless chatter.

robjones, Sep 20, 2007 IP
    threebuckchuck likes this.
  10. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Get real Rob, minstrel is a terribly important clinical psychologist, if he says you are a troll, you are. Doctor Dave could tell you were a troll before he had even heard of you.

nebuchadrezzar, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    minstral was wrong, it is just another DMOZ A*shole. :rolleyes:

gworld, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    It does have value, but it also has a lot of crap. It's like bacon, it's got some real tasty bits, but you are mainly buying fat. It's nice you replied to my post about the project being founded on corruption.

Why not clean up the fat?

That's pretty much been my point all along, so I've lost no credibility, and my actions are not sad....but are your actions credible or sad? They could be...you are one of the folks over real estate. But then, maybe you are so busy helping to keep that part of the project clean you just can't bother with helping to trim the fat in other areas....and from the looks of your two posts here you won't even acknowledge the issues.

So come on, tell me if you think Skrenta founded the ODP on spam, and then explain why he is still there with each of his affiliated sites with 5 to 10,000 listings a piece.

There is good in the ODP... it's just hard to see through the fat some times.

Qryztufre, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  13. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Not being an editor is a significant advantage when it comes to critiquing DMOZ. It allows for an objectivity and open speech that doesn't exist in editors with lips and tongue dulled by years of kissing ass.

The definition of a troll is not based on number of posts but on the content of the post(s). More accurately, it's based on the odor of the post.

Often one post is enough. It rarely takes more than 2 or 3 posts to spot a troll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(internet)

minstrel, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  14. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't want to get involved with all this ugliness (call me coward) but would like to mention that IMHO robjones is the main reason that real estate categories are relatively good. Robjones has my deepest respect, plus he has a great sense of humor. Thank you Rob for all the good you do at ODP. :)

compostannie, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    >>Sigh<<.:rolleyes:
    [edit]

I'll just go drink my medication. :eek:

popotalk, Sep 21, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Well, I did try to give him the benefit of the doubt...I know that real estate on the web can be a rather messy affair. Though, IMHO, he'd do better helping to clean up the rest of it then bothering with a bunch of ex-editors.

But what is worse, stepping out and pointing to wrongs, or staying in and ignoring them? I chose the former, and it seems that he has chosen the latter, or at least is now getting pre-occupied with those that have chosen the former, that he's no longer looking for the flaws himself.

Maybe if he is keeping his categories in good order he should take a few moments to question why other areas are getting worse, rather then offering to remove apparently listable sites...I mean, if he knows our sites he can check them against the guidelines and act accordingly, he does not need our consent in the slightest if his edits are justified.

17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    With the same reasoning you can say that Russian Mafia is good because it is the main reason that many areas of west cost is clean from Italian Mafia. ;)

gworld, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  18. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    Now that is just too funny! It fits about 95% of all posters in the ODP/DMOZ section of Digital Point on either side of the fence.

dogbows, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Glad I'm in that other 5, lol

Though, honestly, when I was an editor, the questions I was bringing up were of a serious nature. Yeah, they went against the grain, but I was serious in the asking...and there is a difference. I'm trying to get back to that here on DP now as well... but we'll see *shrug*

20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Have you ever seen any of these DMOZ defenders to be interested in discussion the causes of corruption in DMOZ and simple procedural steps that can be taken to stop it and I am not talking about their usual non sense that give us up a corrupt editor name and we will remove that person. I am talking about Serious discussions regarding flaws and how to make real changes that stops corruption.
    Just this simple observation can tell you the real motives why they are here. ;)

gworld, Sep 21, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.