1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

'Shockvertising': why seeing ad with naked stewardess leads to the purchase action? Your insights

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Moniq, Apr 17, 2014.

‘Shockvertising’ as a term has been adopted and frequently discussed in recent years. However its effect on the audience remains yet to be investigated due to the “double-sided” nature of the phenomenon. The way shockvertising works is by showing something attractive that draws the attention of the audience; at the same time, the advert exposes elements that rouse emotions, which in the normality of daily life are for the most part considered negative (nb. They are not exclusively negative; however, research shows that vast amounts are which is why shockvertising has generated undesirable publicity). Embarrassment, fear, sadness, disgust are just some of the emotions roused through shockvertising campaigns.

So, can a line be drawn between advertisements being attractive and compelling and eventually persuading the customer to purchase the product or service, with the crass, distasteful kind of advertisement that we have come to be only too familiar with? And even more perplexing, why do those negative emotions we feel from campaigns influence us to buy a product, use a service or donate to a cause? Is increased globalization and modernization of the world making us feel less? Is this why to attract attention from the audience, advertisers need to show something to “wake” our emotions again?

Selected examples are due to their nature and the controversy they caused (United Colors of Benetton – Unhate campaign, Virgin Mobile with their “Hook up fearlessly” campaign and NHS antismoking campaings); they represent a product, service and cause, and amongst them use different shock appeals – sex (erotica), taboos, ethical issues, pain and disease.

We are very curious about your opinion about these campaigns as this group gathers those individuals passionate about advertising the world over. So, we ask you to contemplate these campaigns and think about the kind of emotions they have roused in you, how they have made you feel, and how you would evaluate them.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Moniq, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  2. BoostSoftware

BoostSoftware Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh my goodness. This is the first I've seen these, and although in this day and age some of these ad concepts are a little less shocking than they used to be. However, they definitely do have some shock merit. It's best to find out what kind of audience would respond to this type of add.

BoostSoftware, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  3. Moniq

Moniq Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Erin,
    Thank you for your comments and input. Just a couple of questions – you say they seem a little less shocking than advertisements used to be – in what way? Do any campaigns stand out in your mind that you found particularly controversial/offensive/endearing/emotionally rousing? Thanks again for your time and thoughts.

Moniq, Apr 18, 2014 IP
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Those ads are targeting a layer of the population to which I don't belong. If anything, some of those images make me feel like I am about to gag.

qwikad.com, Apr 18, 2014 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I may also not be in the demographic, but all of the above made me want to move on to something else. I would not click to learn more on any of these.

jrbiz, Apr 18, 2014 IP
  6. Moniq

Moniq Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Qwikad.com and Jrbiz,

Thank you for both your honest opinions and reactions to the campaigns displayed.

Firstly, Qwikad – are you able to shed a little more light on which of the campaigns you were most effected by, i.e which you found most emotionally disturbing? In regards to these campaigns, is it more the image that you find unpleasing or the message they convey? Would you be inclined to discuss your reaction and dislike for the campaigns with friends, family, colleagues etc?

Secondly, Jrbiz – given your reaction to the campaigns, as you state “the desire to move onto something else,” would you find the promotional material memorable? Or do you think you would do your utmost to forget them? Equally, would you be inclined to discuss your reaction and dislike for the campaigns with friends, family, colleagues etc?

Moniq, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I hope that you find this helpful as you try to analyze the memorability of the effort: I first saw your ads and posted about them last Friday. It is now Tuesday. It has been a very busy week, so far, and I did not look at the ads since, including before writing this response. I recall that there were some political figures, some of them men kissing men for shock value. I don't remember any of the words or the topics.

To answer your other questions: I don't think that I felt a strong need to forget them; I just wanted to move on to something else after the first one or two of them. I might discuss them with a fellow marketer if the topic of shockvertising came up. I would not likely discuss with family, friends, etc.

jrbiz, Apr 22, 2014 IP