1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SFTP Port Issue When Upgrading Wordpress or Plugins

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by RSSeosolution, Mar 17, 2017.

Hi,

At setting time of VPS i changed port number due to security reason. For example my port number is 43 then how can i update my wordpress site because i am able to enter there only host name, user name and password.

After search online i tried something like below for host

sftp://192.169.XXX.XXX or sftp://192.169.XXX.XXX:43 or 192.169.XXX.XXX or 192.169.XXX.XXX:43
    myusername
    password

But get always error message that "ERROR:There was an error connecting to the server, Please verify the settings are correct."

When i connect through filezilla FTP with above details then its working fine but at update time at wordpress i am unable to connect with above details.

Please guide me that how can i update wordpress from admin area with SFTP connection.

Hoping to get best suggestion and ideas as soon as possible.

Thanks

Solved! View solution.
    RSSeosolution, Mar 17, 2017 IP
    Hi,

In order to update WordPress via SFTP (SSH) you should use the SSH/SFTP Updater Support plugin or the built-in SSH2 upgrader. If you use the second method you'll have to install the pecl SSH extension on your server.

RoseHosting, Mar 19, 2017 IP
  3. RSSeosolution

RSSeosolution Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your idea. Now its working for me. I have installed already SSH/SFTP Updater Support plugin but did not select SSH2 options and that is why server was refusing my request but after see your reply i select them and now its working fine without any issues.

Thanks lots

RSSeosolution, Mar 20, 2017 IP
  4. thexyz

thexyz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have seen a lot of mis-unformation on this topic with some people changing permissions of the wordpress folders. It is usually an ownership issue and detailed fix for this can be found here.

thexyz, Sep 7, 2017 IP