1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Setting Up eCommerce Site: Drupal vs Joomla

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by mentos514, Feb 23, 2009.

Hi all,

I'm setting up a ecommerce site and would like to know which CMS software would be a better fit.

SEO is a must for the site so the software must be SEO friendly. I will be selling multiple products also.

Which CMS would be better to use, drupal or joomla?

Also, if you are interested in also helping me setup, please pm me your rates.

Thx! :)

mentos514, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  2. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was very recently in a similar situation upgrading a couple of sites from OSCommerce. I was quite amazed to learn that OSCommerce had not been "keep up with the time" regarding MySql, etc. After looking over several packages, I went with Magento (http://www.magentocommerce.com) which seems to be the best move I could have made!

First, I get nothing for promoting Magento. Second, the SEO elements built into the basic application are so far beyond other eCommerce applications I have looked into as to be ridiculous. My sites have risen in the rankings much faster than ever before and traffic has grown accordingly. The ease of adding products is very good and really indepth.

Check it out. It may or may not be what you personally need but, it is worth looking into IMHO. :D

North Carolina SEO, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  3. Techmonkey

Techmonkey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry to jump in on the thred, thanks for the magento link, I have been looking for something to try instead osCommerce

Techmonkey, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  4. MidGe48

MidGe48 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would definitely go with Drupal. I would assume that you expect to be successful and if that is the case you will want to use the CMS that gives you the greatest flexibility both in the immediate and the long term viewpoint.

The only valid reason to go with Joomla would be that in the short term it may be a liitle bit easier to pickup. Small benefit for a rather major impact in the future and immediately if you are very particular about how your site presents and how it works.

If you go with Drupal, the the Ubercart modules are the one to use for the e-commerce aspects.

MidGe48, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  5. mentos514

mentos514 Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    i was seriously considering OScommerce as the cart to combine with the cms.

i really need more info.

which carts are you using with your cms proggy?

is oscommerce better with drupal or joomla?

thx

6. mentos514

mentos514 Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    btw, is megento open source and free like oscommerce?

7. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Neither really see the following: Magento is the best currently. Oscommerce is not a professional solution. I could go on for a week about that junk.

Try magento or http://www.prestashop.com/ both afford you proper separation of design from the logic bits(an absolute must) Magento is a bit vexing at first if your not a developer but it very robust. Prestashop is quite cool, considerably faster currently, and a bit easier to use.

hope that helps,
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  8. dickieknee

dickieknee Active Member

Best Answers:
    shopping carts such as zen cart and os-commerce are great if you have a large inventory base which you need to upload, as the set up time is rather time consuming and difficult(not recommended for a novice) once set up then they can be easy to maintain. On a SEO perspective, it take more effort to optimise the SEO for these installations, and it takes time for Mr G and Others to find your website. URLS not very seo friendly either

on the converse if you do not want to spend a fortune getting online and selling then consider wordpress with one of the e-commerce plugins, the functionality of your site will grow with your business, so you may include a newsletter later, or add in search functionality, the SEO will be inbuilt, the themes are cheaper(most are free), add in polls, expand your payment methods, no need to worry about SSL when using paypal/google checkout etc, as the site grows..

checkout the functionality offered by www.instinct.co.nz

dickieknee, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  9. Doombo

Doombo Peon

Best Answers:
    for a customer im using OScommerce with a bridge for Joomla 1.0.13

it's ugly but it works fine and solid as a rock.

on the other side, it's a HELL to customize, OSC layout is all hardcoded, you'll need
    to modify dozens of files, it's simply a terrible junk running on code wrote in 2002.

go for Magento, or X-Cart, Zen Cart, or even Virtuemart for Joomla.

Doombo, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  10. rajput_jitendra

rajput_jitendra Peon

Best Answers:
    Zen Cart and Magento are rich-feature php shopping cart, they easily integrated in any running or new ecommerce website.

rajput_jitendra, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  11. grawat

grawat Peon

Best Answers:
    even though I have been using drupal, I would suggest magento as well.

grawat, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  12. jazzdrive3

jazzdrive3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I second Ubercart with Drupal 6. Great functionality and easy to customize and theme.

jazzdrive3, Nov 10, 2009 IP
  13. EricHughes

EricHughes Peon

Best Answers:
    The choice entirely depend upon your needs and requirement, If you are looking for something very simple and with short time view point than Joomla can be a good option for you but If you want something really out of box featured application than Drupal is the best solution for your project.
    Joomla was considered on top due to lots of good template but now Drupal 6 also started providing large variety of templates to choose from. Drupal has good modules than Joomla and it really helps when you have good developer available with you.

If you are seeing from SEO perspective than you should choose Drupal over Joomla, It has built in support for SEO friendly urls, You can create url aliases and have whatever url you want. Other modules like metadata, page title, pathauto helps in creating a good SEO friendly site.

If you want any help regarding to implementation, development or training on Drupa than visit OSSCube website. You can also find some helpful case studies on Drupal.

EricHughes, Nov 13, 2009 IP
  14. mojstermiha

mojstermiha Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

if you are still deciding how to monetize your site i would suggest 2 modules that i use for Drupal. They are called PayPal Subscribtions and PayPal Affiliates Modules. The 3ed module ClickBank could come usefull to you to. You don't need to program anything. You just fill out the forms with your data and that's it....so easy i couldn't beleave it my self at first. However there are stil some buges to be fixed but the men that is developing those modules is working day and night to assure the best preformance:) The sites name is moneyscripts.com

I would post affiliate link, but forum doesn't alow me do it:))) Maybe in 7 days:p

By

mojstermiha, Nov 18, 2009 IP
  15. isha189

isha189 Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there, if you read all pro & cons of both CMS then i am sure Drupal would be the best choice for you.

isha189, Mar 20, 2013 IP