1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Setting up a linked image series

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Don Key, Nov 18, 2004.

Howdy, all. The subject title is a bit vague, but I'm not sure how else to describe what I'm getting at here, even though it's a relatively simple scenario. I'm hoping somebody can offer some good advice, because I'm stuck!

I'm looking for a way to do the following with an image on my page:

1. When a user clicks the image, a pop-up box will appear with some info related to that image.

2. At the same time, the image itself will be replaced with a new one.

3. This new image, when clicked, would have its own specific pop-up box and be replaced with another image.

4. In all, I'm looking at a rotation of about 20 images/pop-ups.

At this point, merely getting a basic sequence set up would be cool. But I'll go ahead and throw this into the mix: Ultimately, I'd really love for the image sequence to be randomized -- particularly so that users will encounter a different starting image upon each visit.

For what it's worth, the site in question is a Typepad blog. So one of the obvious solutions -- simply reproducing 20 home pages, each with a different image -- is not really possible. And certainly not desirable anyhow.

I really appreciate any help I can get... Thanks so much.
    Don

Don Key, Nov 18, 2004 IP
  2. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of scripts available that will scroll through any number of images for you, and then open up a page if you click on them. If you can script a little then you should be able to adapt one, although having them scroll through is probably more likely to attract clicks. remember to add a call to action on the image or above it to let people know what will happen if they click. http://www.dynamicdrive.com/

Old Welsh Guy, Nov 19, 2004 IP
  3. Andre

Andre Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, you could use a server side scripting language (like php or perl) but your best bet is probably some kind of javascript, maybe using the document object for the image chaging.

Andre, Nov 23, 2004 IP
  4. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I recommend server side so you're not having to cache large amounts of image data on the client's browser. This will cause serious problems for those still on dial up.

mopacfan, Nov 23, 2004 IP
  5. Don Key

Don Key Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks to all for the replies. I'm toying around with some scripting language that looks like it may handle this in a pretty simple way.

Will keep all appraised when I find the right solution...

Best,
    Don

Don Key, Nov 23, 2004 IP