1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Setting up a dating site - most attractive features to offer?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by NathanielJ, May 7, 2007.

Being in the role of a helper, now I need your precious advice - I've recently started developing a dating site and I want to make it a competitive one. I see that the major in the niche offer on their sites current photographs/videos, compatibility profiles, blogs with some valuable articles about dating, interaction with dating advisors, etc.
    The idea is that I want to provide my site with such high-quality content but I am still in development and want to add first those most attractive "bits", so I have a question to ask: If you were a dating site visitor, what would attract you most to register and come by often?

One more point - do you think I'd better offer my videos instead of photos on my site?

--Nathan

NathanielJ, May 7, 2007 IP
  2. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have a "Dear Abby" section where people can post questions and receive answers from an "expert".
    This will help you with search engine traffic.
    Also, instant messaging chat is a must.

ablaye, May 7, 2007 IP
  3. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    For some reason... rating users is quite the popular function.. if you can incorporate that into your dating site.

8everything, May 7, 2007 IP
  4. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    Good looking girls

Lots of 'em :D

axemedia, May 8, 2007 IP
  5. alemcherry

alemcherry Guest

Best Answers:
    Yup agree with axemedia. More than the silly functionalities the member count and quality matters. Also the price(free is better!). Everything else makes only 10% of the whole picture. You may spend some time/money/effort to get your site populated.

alemcherry, May 8, 2007 IP
  6. zoltan

zoltan Banned

Best Answers:
    Be prepared to constantly fine tune the script after you have launched. Yes, reaching a critical mass is one of the most important things. You will need lots of dollars... be prepared to open your pocket... widely.

zoltan, May 8, 2007 IP
  7. deedeedum

deedeedum Peon

Best Answers:
    use the word SEX a lot........

deedeedum, May 8, 2007 IP
  8. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    Have fun trying to compete with Marcus at plentyoffish.com

His site absolutely rocks! Users love it (i'm one). And its free.

K.I.S.S. = keep it simple, stupid!

axemedia, May 8, 2007 IP
  9. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    Additional attachments section: images, video, podcast, etc

oh, and FREE.

drig, May 8, 2007 IP
  10. NathanielJ

NathanielJ Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your comments and advices, they all come very handy to me and right on time.

See I am fully aware that if I want to develop a very popular site I'll need to strive for first of all quality and huge member count, i.e. invest time and money in that. However, my own understanding of quality says a major part of it are those attractive functionalities indeed.

All the other good and well, your opinions match with my own vision, but I'm in doubt which one to choose - images or video of my precious registered users, yet no one dropped me some hint about it. I'm in two minds - if I don't have video, I'll lag behind from my competitors but if I choose to add the video feature that will surely cost me money and work time and I will definitely need Flash Media Server that is not cheap. So what do you think - is video going to be useful?

--Nathan

NathanielJ, May 9, 2007 IP
  11. overdrive

overdrive Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I have finished my dating site and have incorporated all those features and the members love them. I am actually doing a dear abby section for all the members and best of all, its free! I have spent a lot of time and money marketing it, but its getting there!

overdrive, May 9, 2007 IP
  12. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    to be honest, i'm not sure video is the way to go

dating is very personal and there are privacy issues. Most people using dating sites only want to present a little about themselves. A few photo's and a brief description, the real match making goes on during chat. Users like to chat through MSN or the sites own IM system, make friends and maybe meet up.

If you add video, it has to be optional for those that want to use it. Photo's are still a must.

axemedia, May 9, 2007 IP
  13. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, dating is a personal thing. No need to argue about that. Sometimes people prefer to hide behind the written text and many feel more comfortable that way. But think about it. People strive for a sincere attitude towards them. When you are dating someone in real life you use the words to communicate.

The keyboard gives you the power to be someone you will most probably never be. Let's face the facts, 90% of the people that are dating online are lying as hell http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa017&articleID=79C583A1-E7F2-99DF-3BE62D88C9C352E0. I see the video as means to show to others who you really are.

shuttle, May 11, 2007 IP
  14. xooMan

xooMan Peon

Best Answers:
    I think some kind of built in Instant Messenger would be cool with the Online/Offline indicator. It is possible to implement it with Ajax.

xooMan, May 11, 2007 IP
  15. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    They hide behind the written text, their profile, because it is a filter. A much needed filter.

The video can be a means to show more, but will the users use it? Make it an option not the main feature.

An internal IM is absolutely essential. mMany use it for first contact with others that they see are online, then they exchange MSN ids and then go chat there because its often more stable, plus they can cam if they like, and then better see when the user/new friend is online for later chats.

axemedia, May 11, 2007 IP
  16. students-forum

students-forum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Keep it free.

Make it seem more integrated like facebook.

students-forum, May 11, 2007 IP
  17. mohy

mohy Guest

Best Answers:
    let the girls join free. actually give them "perks" ;). The guys are the ones willing to pay.

mohy, May 11, 2007 IP
  18. Flif

Flif Active Member

Best Answers:
    You nailed it, dude.

The way I see it - free (for both the girls and the guys, at least in the beginning, to keep them coming) plus nicely integrated photos on the website - a facebook is the right word.

What else? Hm, instant messenger is a must.

Flif, May 16, 2007 IP
  19. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, free is the key. You can always monetize it another way.

axemedia, May 16, 2007 IP
  20. xooMan

xooMan Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, this is probably one of the most important: by all means attract girls.

xooMan, May 16, 2007 IP