1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Setting page size in Dreamweaver

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by patwa, Aug 12, 2006.

Hello.

Up until now, I've created fairly simple web pages and have coded the HTML by hand. However, I've now migrated to Dreamweaver which I have to say is much easier, but along with that I've also been doing some reading to compliment the HCI course I did earlier this year. This led me to the whole issue of page size, and making sure you're page shows at different resolutions, and avoiding annoying scroll bars (especially horizontal ones) appearing.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could advise me how to set the page size in Dreamweaver? Most people seem to have 800x600 as a benchmark resolution these days, so that's what I want to set things to. However, I'm using layers in Dreamweaver to position the text and graphics, and don't want to create one big table cell with dimensions 800x600 as this seems a bit too 'simple' and tacky.

Is there a way to set the page size as a default so that it would automatically resize to this size? Or is there HTML code or a Dreamweaver function that can do this?

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

cheers and take care.

Hussein.

patwa, Aug 12, 2006 IP
  2. fordP

fordP Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, you set your pages width in html with a table. just make a table right after the body tag, set cellpadding cellspacing border all to 0, then set width to your liking.

fordP, Aug 12, 2006 IP
  3. patwa

patwa Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi there and thanks.

Just to confirm, this is an acceptable way of doing things? I mean, is it a method that is used commonly or is it more of a 'workaround'?

Also, once I've created the table, 1 row by 1 cell, do I then just create the page as normal and just forget about the fact that there's a cell there? and I could use any formatting, tables, etc as normal?

I just want to learn as much as I can and do the best that I can with that knowledge. Sorry if some of these questions are a bit amateurish.

Cheers and take care.

Hussein.

patwa, Aug 12, 2006 IP
  4. ramakrishna p

ramakrishna p Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can for get about the cell. Remember that you inserted main table with one row and one cell. Again you can insert one more table inside main table (nested tables). When you are nesting a table inside main table set the width of the nested tabel to 100%. The following html code is nested tables. Main table width is set to fixed 800pixels. Height was not set. Inside this main table there is another table with three rows and three columns (<TR><TD>) and its width set to 100%. The main table height will automatically increase with amount of content inserted.

The html code as follows:

<table width="800" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
    <tr>
    <td><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    </table></td>
    </tr>
    </table>

ramakrishna p, Aug 12, 2006 IP
  5. patwa

patwa Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks very much. I'll go ahead and get to work, after some sleep that is (now 6am Sunday UK time having been up for the last 24 hours) and maybe put it up for review here, although I suspect it won't hold a candle to some of the other sites up here already.

Cheers and take care.

Hussein.

patwa, Aug 12, 2006 IP
  6. geekazoid

geekazoid Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a stat collecter program thingy and it tells me the resolution of all the people who visit my site and by far the majority on my website are using (1024 x 768) Does that help :)

geekazoid, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  7. Actor Mike

Actor Mike Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah the majority of my site visitors are using 1024 or above. I guess the question is, though, should you discriminate against the 10-15% who are still on 800x600?

Actor Mike, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  8. void

void Peon

Best Answers:
    If I'm designing for a fixed width, I'll do something like
    <div "style=width:769px; margin:auto">
    <!-- content here -->
    </div>
    HTML:
    so that it's always centred.

void, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  9. CompWorks.com

CompWorks.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you want to know or to set the page size (for example I want to know that size not change it for background image) if you wanna set it then it is all automated for example if you have just one 150x150 pixel imnag, your page will be the default size, but if the height and length of your contenty is bigga tha the page, size it will automatically increase.

CompWorks.com, Jun 10, 2010 IP