1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Serverless versus Shared Hosting

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by sarahk, Oct 11, 2021.

I'm looking and learning about Serverless hosting and I just can't shake the feeling that it's like a step back from Shared Hosting.

You gain security because nobody else is running code on the server but you lose your database and your emails. It feels like you're scattering your info across multiple services, none of which are cheap.

I'm probably going to choose Serverless via Google for my next project because of the speed and they have a (relatively) local data centre but maybe I should be keeping it on my reseller plan, after all, it's already paid for.

sarahk, Oct 11, 2021 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I know NOTHING about which you are talking about, but I am of the opinion that keeping to the tried and true is often better than changing horses in the middle of the river. Maybe dipping your toe into the water, but definitely not changing horses UNTIL you are positive you won't be sucked underwater in the change.

mmerlinn, Oct 11, 2021 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And I am a firm believer in keeping a backup in reserve just in case something goes wrong.

For example, I still maintain a dialup internet account just in case my cable goes down for whatever reason.

Three times this year cable went down, but I was still able to conduct business by using dialup. Last week cable went down. Took the cable company a whole week to find and replace a simple defective connector a thousand feet from me. I wound up using dialup all week, but I was still able to conduct all critical business tasks rather than closing down for a week.

mmerlinn, Oct 11, 2021 IP
  4. Alfonsmeier

Alfonsmeier Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Sarahk
    it's following a bit the idea of microservices. It definitely has a good reason to exist, specially for developers. It follows the idea of an improved shared responsibility model, where the provider even takes more responsibilities on setting-up and running infrastructure services up the part, where programmers start to develop. Why should developers care about installing infrastructure and other services on linux machines and taking care it's never crashing, as they are mainly paid to create code. Also, microservices also increase security and availability guarantees.
    But if you are an infrastructure person, so I understand that serverless is not what you want to deal with. :)
    Alfons

Alfonsmeier, Dec 21, 2021 IP