1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Server IP making GET requests

Discussion in 'Apache' started by PHP Bear, Apr 12, 2014.

I've spent the last several months working on a huge upgrade of a couple dozen websites. The upgrades include modifying Apache so that visitors who arrive at links pointing to mysite/World/New_York are redirected to mysite/world/new-york. In other words, all my links now default to lower case, and underscores are replaced with dashes.

Unfortunately, publishing it has been an endless series of disasters. My websites are now all crashed, and the server is unbelievably slow. It takes pages forever to load (if they load at all), and I can scarcely publish files online.

So the following notice sent to me by my webhost got my attention. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what it means or how to fix it. Any tips?

And if this is a really technical problem that's going to take a couple days to fix, do you think I could fix it by simply deleting all my websites? I could then publish them back online one at a time, which is pretty much what I'm doing anyway.

Thanks.

IT appears your own server IP is making GET requests to Apache, causing excessive loading and causing service failures. On today's date, your IP made almost 6,000 connections to Apache:<br><br>

[root@host ~]# grep 64.91.229.106 /usr/local/apache/domlogs/mysite.org | wc -l 5924 [root@host ~]#<br><br>

These were all the same request:<br><br>

64.91.229.106 - - [12/Apr/2014:08:10:10 -0400] "GET /404.php HTTP/1.0" 200 14294 "-" "-"<br><br>

And that made up the total of requests:<br><br>

[root@host ~]# grep 64.91.229.106 /usr/local/apache/domlogs/mysite.org | grep "GET /404.php HTTP/1.0" | wc -l 5924 [root@host ~]#<br><br>

I'd suggest seeking out the assistance of a developer to see where the source of these requests lie, as they are what have been loading down your server today.

PHP Bear, Apr 12, 2014 IP
  2. PHP Bear

PHP Bear Active Member

Best Answers:
    Please disregard this post; unbelievably, I figured it out myself.

When my websites crashed, I wanted to get some custom 404 error pages on them as fast as possible. So I created ONE custom error page on my main site, then I used the PHP function get_file_contents to essentially import its contents into files named 404.php on my satellite sites. So every time someone visited mysite2, they viewed an error message from mysite1.

Anyway, I deleted all the fake 404 error pages, and it seemed to fix the problem. That's probably the only Apache problem I'll ever solve myself. ;)

PHP Bear, Apr 13, 2014 IP