1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Server from house?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by CarpCharacin, Aug 14, 2016.

1. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The main question would be "why would you want to set up your own server at home"?

Benefits: you have full control of the server, and as long as you have the necessary knowledge, it is often a breeze to set up different sites, organising content etc.
    Cost - you don't have to pay for hosting anymore

Cons:
    Price of the server - you can get hosting for quite a bit of time for the money you should spend on server / UPS / redundancy
    Lack of redundancy - a forum is hard to do over CDNs, if the main site goes down, it will usually take with it most of the usefulness of a forum
    You will still need a bit of off-site storage (or at least a decent NAS / ways to take backups that arent't on the same server, preferably not even in the same house) - which will cost you
    Time - setting up the server first time, keeping it updated, making sure your setup is secure... it will take some time. Depending on your knowledge, I would say you look at at least 1-2 hours per day in the beginning, reduce that to 1-2 hour per week when you get it more under control.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try to set up your own server, and such, but I don't think it will be cost efficient, and perhaps even worth it in the end. Depends if you have any future plans involving running servers. If you do, it's a valuable learning experience.

Personally, I've gotten rid of personal home-servers a long time ago. They're too much hassle to keep up and running, and I get the same on VPSes for a bit more money each month, without the hassle, and easily upgradeable, with backup included and so on.

PoPSiCLe, Aug 25, 2016 IP
  2. insidex

insidex Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't see the reason why you can't setup hosting in your home even with casual ethernet link. The only disadvantages from it - is high electricity cost and low uptime. But sometimes even expensive hosting company provides not better quality :D

insidex, Aug 31, 2016 IP
  3. frasermanabu

frasermanabu Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Your just going to waste money, rent a server (cost effective).

frasermanabu, Aug 31, 2016 IP
  4. JeffMichaels

JeffMichaels Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Without a doubt that would violate their terms of service. Residential ISPs do not allow their customers to host web servers on their connection. If your web server garnered any significant level of traffic, the netadmins for Google Fiber would notice and you would get shut down.

JeffMichaels, Sep 14, 2016 IP
  5. Mardaki

Mardaki Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Forget about it mate

Mardaki, Sep 15, 2016 IP
  6. VerdinaNET

VerdinaNET Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This joy can cause your site a lot of break downs:) Igree with others that you need quite constant internet speed, power supply ( maybe UPS ) and some additional knowledge:) If you calculate your expenses it would come up that one cheap shared or vps plan would save you a lot of trouble. On the other hand as i see....why don't you run it yourself, if you are so keen on this. If it doesn't work you can always go to plan B and get hosting plan:)

VerdinaNET, Sep 19, 2016 IP
  7. UnderHost_MSA

UnderHost_MSA Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Running a web servers at home for non-critical website application or backup isn't a bad idea. Most ISP forbid doing so and I'm not sure about google fiber as long it remain private you won't have much issue if you're looking to run some kind of public web services you should just colo the machine instead there a tons of colocation for less than 40$ a month.

UnderHost_MSA, Sep 23, 2016 IP