1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Server from house?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by CarpCharacin, Aug 14, 2016.

Google fiber is coming to my area. Would it work if i set up a server for my forum at my house?

CarpCharacin, Aug 14, 2016 IP
  2. robyries

robyries Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not recommended. But if you have decent money, stable power supply etc then go for it otherwise ..

robyries, Aug 14, 2016 IP
  3. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why is it not reccomended?

CarpCharacin, Aug 14, 2016 IP
  4. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have any experience as a server admin, would you know what to do if there was a power outage, DDOS attack etc, what if you had a break in at your house and the server was stolen along with all your members private info?
    Your forum would probably be down more than it was up, waste of time and money and more hassle than it would be worth.

malky66, Aug 15, 2016 IP
    sarahk and dcristo like this.
  5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Hosting is that cheap why would you even consider something like this?

dcristo, Aug 15, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    No I don't. I would run a UPS in case of a power outage. I don't know about ddos attacks. If someone breaks in my dog will attack them.

CarpCharacin, Aug 15, 2016 IP
  7. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    What if they have a gun, does your dog carry a gun?

malky66, Aug 15, 2016 IP
  8. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    What if what if what if. What if a nuclear bomb gets dropped on my city? I live in a good neighborhood.

9. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Now you're just being ridiculous as usual, you asked a question about something, we are giving you answers based on what you're asking.

malky66, Aug 15, 2016 IP
  10. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    Ridiculous? Me? That can't be right. Seriously, what is wrong with having a server in my house? I don't think someone is going to come into my house and shoot my server with a gun. I'm not paranoid. Google fiber is coming to my area.

11. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    For all the reasons I outlined in my first post in this thread, you don't even know how to cope with a DDOS attack, you have no experience as a server admin, security issues and many other potential issues that WILL arise, besides looking at the dumb questions you keep asking on this forum you are obviously not mature enough to handle the responsibility.
    Why do you think you're tiny fish forum needs it's own server anyway, It'll never be big enough to need anything other than shared hosting
    Who said anything about shooting your server with a gun? You're either just a fucking troll, retarded or 12 years old coming here asking stupid pointless questions.

malky66, Aug 15, 2016 IP
  12. Zoti Media Group

Zoti Media Group Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How much upload speed you have with google? If you are under 30mbit you can forget it.

Zoti Media Group, Aug 15, 2016 IP
  13. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    I am not a troll. You asked "what if they have a gun"? I could use cloudflare. I seriously doubt someone will be breaking into my house. What questions that I ask are dumb?
    Google fiber is 1 gigabit. It is currently under construction in my area and will be available soon.

14. robyries

robyries Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    OK. You can running your own server from your house... If you have something problem in future use google to find your answer not here. Can we agree on that..

I TRULLY recommended you to build a server in your house. I'm serious.

robyries, Aug 15, 2016 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    This article outlines how that 1 gigabit doesn't necessarily translate into actual speed. Check out point #3

but it's point #3 on this one that's probably the real killer
    If you don't have a static ip how can you set up the dns?

I think you might find this interesting. They talk about Google and setting up home servers,

sarahk, Aug 15, 2016 IP
  16. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    I am here to find out the pros, cons, etc about running a server. Why do you recommend it? Even though my server getting stolen is a risk, it is a small one. DDOS attacks are a risk so that is why I would use cloudflare.
    Here is a guide on how to set up DNS https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/4647563. I could transfer my domain to google domains. The server I would build would be capable of handling the google fiber speeds.

17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You'd probably find it a really useful learning exercise and depending on your goals it could be time well spent.
    I don't think your server is at risk of being physically stolen but hacking is a very real problem and there are people constantly scanning sites looking for vulnerabilities - it's not personal, there is a script just running through everything. Look at your server logs at some of the really odd 404s that will be there coupled with really odd user agents.
    The world isn't going to end if your forum goes down and stays down because you're at school, your evening job or just tied up with family so it might be worth a go. If the time that you spend on it is going to detract from your SATs and limit your future study and career goals then it's not worth it.

I don't know what you pay at the moment for hosting but I can pay for my reseller hosting in about half an hour a month. When I think of the upskilling and time to administer the site I reckon I'm ahead of the game by buying hosting.

It seems that you've already made up your mind so I'm not sure what this thread is about because you clearly don't value the opinions given.

sarahk, Aug 15, 2016 IP
  18. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    I value the opinions given. I pay about $2 USD per month per hosting and then the cost for the domain name is i think around $15 per year. XenForo is a pretty secure software and I removed the install folder for extra security. I don't want to spend hours every day maintaining my server. I am planning on getting freshwater stingrays so I will have to dedicate probably an hour every day taking care of them. I already have probably 100 fish that I take care of. With the server I could host multiple websites. I am planning to start a fish wholesale website with xenforo and a shopping cart add-on. I will probably wait until my forum grows to set up a server. I am still not sure if i will do a server at all.

19. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It seems to be an unnecessary distraction from what you enjoy doing and what will be profitable.

sarahk, Aug 15, 2016 IP
  20. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    I enjoy running my site, but I am not sure if a server would be worth my time doing. Maybe I would do it if my site got huge, but I doubt it will ever get huge, but who knows. The only other local fish forum in my state has 300k posts and it is a saltwater only site. My site is mainly a freshwater site and a local fish club says they are going to link my site on their website.