1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SERPS Movement

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mnemtsas, Oct 14, 2004.

I'm here at my day job (so I shouldn't be posting here :eek: ) and no-one here cares or knows what SERPS are so I thought I'd post it here to see if anyone here cares either ;)

Today was my singular biggest SERPS increase across the 64 KW's I track. The last few weeks link building and on page optimisation is starting to pay off! Woot!

Had 8 KW's go backwards by an average of 8 positions.
    Had 17 KW's rise by an average of 14 spots
    Had 4 KW's come out of nowhere (two into top 10 :D )

This month that makes 26 with a gain and only 7 with a loss.

Pretty stoked down here in Orstralia

mnemtsas, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  2. jfontestad

jfontestad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's awesome.
    Congrats on that. Keep up the link building and the page tweaking and your SERPs SHOULD only get better.

jfontestad, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  3. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Slightly OT -

Who here works for a "real" company and is paid to optimize that company's site for search engines, etc? I own my own business, so I do it all myself - I am pretty proud of what I've learned in the last 3-4 years or so. I always wonder what my pay rate for doing this in a real business environment. I'm sure with the right company, who is clueless how the internet works, you could make a killing doing this sort of thing.

lorien1973, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  4. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    Well I can't say directly but I recently had a quote from a small SEO company on doing some SEO work on my website. They were very forthcoming about what they would do and provided several references that I contacted. All seemed above board.

They proposed to charge $475 / month with an eventual aim of gathering 50-100 uniques per day on top of current traffic in around 3-6 months.

Mark

mnemtsas, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  5. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm working for a "real" company and am "paid" (hasn't been that long though) to optimise the company's sites etc. But, this is not all I do so it's hard to estimate how much they pay me just for SEO work ..... I doubt if there would be a lot of companies out there who have a full-time SEO working for them though.

The only way you could work as a full-time SEO would probably be for a web development company, and you could anything from $60-$120 an hour depending on what share of the profits you get! :)

dfsweb, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  6. hightide13

hightide13 Peon

Best Answers:
    I work as a contractor doing SEO for a few marketing and media companies but I also own a web design company. I would much rather get to the point Shawn is at though and make tons of duckets on Afilliate websites.

Funny thing is my highest paying website is a Kilt community. I get adsense, paying advertisers, Amazon and Ebay affiliate. Crazy eh? No $25k a month but about $400-$600 a month...

As for the increase in SERPs...keep diligent and those 7 that lost ground will come back up!

hightide13, Oct 15, 2004 IP
  7. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    Yeah. I'm seeing a lot of movement in phrases that are not ones that I'm directly targetting but are moving because they are close to phrases I am targetting. They jump into the top 20-40 one day and then drop out the next. I'm working on this by developing a page of content to suit each of these 'niche' phrases. I'm hoping that the time spent to get top 10 on a number of these will show a better pay off than the long haul of getting a more competitive phrase into the top 10.

mnemtsas, Oct 18, 2004 IP
  8. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I work full time for a Web Development/ New Media comapny, doing mainly SEO/template building along with affiliate stuff..

We tend not to just provide SEO though, so like someone else mentioned, it's hard to say how much of that pay is SEO...

We provide full web solutions, most of which is built around our fully SEO'd in house built CMS...

Most of the time I am optimising one site or another (whether it's for us or a client)... So it's good to be able to play with new toys and techniques and see what works and what doesn't...

I love my job :D

SEbasic, Oct 18, 2004 IP
  9. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    As for on-tpoic convo ...
    I am seeing normal movement of the 300 KW's I'm tracking .. some go up, some go down.

off-topic convo ...
    I work for a company in the marketing department and was hired for a completely different job (online communications) than SEO. But having my own business at home and starting to read about SEM I became interested. Shortly after this company asked if I knew anything about SEO and if I was interested in helping optimize their site for Search Engines. I gladly took on the challenge ... and now I get my hands on all product pages and press releases before they are posted for optimizing of the Title tags, Meta tags, internal linkage (they didn't have much before), etc., and contacting other sites that link to us for optimum anchor text optimization.

So I can't really say how much I get paid for just the SEO stuff but I did get quite a raise due to the SERP performance, thanks to the Keyword Tracker tool this was easy to graph and present to the execs. So I thank Shawn for that. :)

Now in my spare time (what little I have) my wife and I do website design/construction and SEO for other sites. In fact just recently by offering SEO we got a client to contact us and after showing them why they don't show up in the SERPs very well we could point out what is wrong with their current setup and how to improve. Then magically this client hires us to redesign their entire site along with SEO. It's a great package offering.
    hmmm .. that went quite off topic as well.

Such Great Heights, Oct 18, 2004 IP