1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SERPS formula - mere guess

Discussion in 'Google' started by ZanderXML, Jun 9, 2004.

So we all know that SERPs are effected by three things:
    1) Page's content
    2) Page's Rank (PR)
    3) Allinanchor of inbound links to the page

So I made an experiment. I placed the inbound link to my page with the keyword in anchor on 7 different sites with PR6 home pages and ROS (all other inside pages) and it gave me 4,970 backlinks reported by Google and about 100,000 links with allinanchor text.

Then I removed the keyword from the page totally and waited for Google update. Guess what? My SERPs hasn't changed at all - I'm #2 and it doesn't matter what content and keywords I have on the page

So I think all SERPs are ordered by how many points one page have for the specific keyword and the formula for points should be something like:

{Title ratio/rating (10 points for example) * (Keyword length / Title length)
    + H1 ratio/rating (5 points for example) * (Keyword length / H1 length)
    + ..... }
    and all this multiplied by PR of the page!!!

+ SUM of {Allinanchor link ration * Keyword length / Link length * PR of the page with inbound link to our page and may be devided by number of outbound links on the page with our allinanchor link?}

So if you have 1,000,000 allinanchor links to your page your page's rating by itself will be maximum 1% of the whole value and even PR won't help!

ZanderXML, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  2. eCommando

eCommando Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hm.. yeah, I think the most important is keyword anchors on other sites. As long as you have a few on the pages, even with low density, if you have a lot of links with anchor text as keywords the site will rank high.

eCommando, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  3. ZanderXML

ZanderXML Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, and I think that after some number of allinanchor links content of the page means nothing

ZanderXML, Jun 12, 2004 IP
  4. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Which, from the point of view of the one person who is supposed to be the be-all and end-all of this whole operation, the innocent search-engine user, is just WONDERFUL.

It don't mean a thing,
    if it ain't got them bought-and-paid-for high-PR backlinks.
    Not, perhaps, exactly the way the Duke wrote it out, but it's today's hot melody.

I search for widgets on Google, confident and assured, knowing that the pages I see near the top of the results are, um, er . . . are, ah . . . meaningless? Hey, well, it's OK, someone is making a buck, and the business of America is business. Who cares if what I get is pure crap? Surely not Google. Their ads are seen no matter what.

And the horrid thing is that, right now, they're the best at it.

This is the way the world ends
    Not with a bang but a whimper.

Owlcroft, Jun 12, 2004 IP