1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SERP means how many new visitors?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by gford, Jun 8, 2005.

I have been asked by a potential new client to come up with this infomartion for his board of directors if at all possible. So I am asking the SEO community for help!

Does anyone know of any papers/articles/threads/info that discuss how your SERP (and even more to the point your exact position in the top 20 resuts, position 1 thru 20) converts to # of visitors in a percentage basis?

For example. I have a search term that occurs 10,000 times per month as reported by overture (And is google roughly 10x overture by most peoples estimates?).

If I am the 20th result for this, what % of those 10,000 searches would I get?

If I am the 10th results for this, what %?

and so on to

If I am the 1st result for this, what %?

I realize this isn't an exact science but if anyone knows of research results in this area it would be a HUGE HELP to me.

Thanks!

Glenn

gford, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  2. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Peon

Best Answers:
    That's actually a good question. Has anyone done any types of calculations on this or seen anything? I'm very interested in this as well.

Hodgedup, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  3. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    Hopefully someone has some info, but I posted to 3 forums (here, webmasterworld and seochat) with no responses yet. :(

gford, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  4. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't bookmark it, but yes, there have been some reports published on this subject. Actual results are hard to extrapolate for specific cases because there are some important variables involved - relevance of search query to a specific or multiple topics, attractiveness/pull of title and description, etc.

Generally, #1 result pulls significantly more traffic than lower numbers. Number 2-3 still pull good numbers though. Results 9 & 10 can pull better than 4-8. Beyond first page results, traffic drops significantly.

I doubt that Google = Overture x 10

Your best bet is to start an AdWords account with exact matching to get traffic numbers for specific keyphrases on Google.

Bernard, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  5. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, this would be very difficult to pin down because of the many variables.

For instance, you might hold the #1 position but your snippet doesn't encourage visitors to click through so your CTR is low. On the other hand, you might hold the #10 position but your snippet is very attractive and your CTR is sky high.

ResaleBroker, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I posted my own findings of this once here but I concur about the thousands of variables. I forgot my results but they wouldn't mean much to you. They're individual.

I monitored a #5 and a #2 ranking or something like that and noted the increase in traffic.

If you don't settle for less than #4 you know for sure you're above the fold and have the biggest chance of getting the visitor.

T0PS3O, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  7. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I remember seeing a percentage for the top 3 sites, and I guess that it would be very hard to get any type of consistant figures with all of the different variables. I guess it was just wishful thinking.

Hodgedup, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  8. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Well to get a specific figure for being first, albeit unethical I have in the past used the following method.

If you take the main keyword/phrase, look up who is No.1 and send them an email as a potential advertiser, obvioulsy you will need recent stats/keyword figures to see if its worth investing with them, they should be able to tell you exactly how much their No.1 rankings give.

Thats a good base for No.1 and there would be plenty of posts here and there that guestimate the follow through for the top 10.

I know its not what you are directly looking for... I haven't found a definitive article on it.

sji2671, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  9. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks - If you have specific threads you think are even in the ballpark on this, please post em here. thanks again.

gford, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  10. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok here is all the ballpark you can really get:

1-20 = 95%+ of the traffic.
    Above the fold (top 4-5 will vary depending on relevance of title and description to visitor). Test it - use a non competitive term and rank 10 websites from 1-10 and see for yourself.

Big drop below the fold.

I doubt there are any really decent analyisis - I asked this question a while back i think.

More important is where a visitor looks (there is a chart somewhere on here), how relevant the 'snippet'. The URL (I think) makes a big difference..

Adwords is probably a not too bad way of testing too..;)

Design Agent, Jun 8, 2005 IP