1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SERP Domination - 4,785 Page 1 Rankings in 14 Days!

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sweetfunny, Dec 28, 2007.

1. EI-SD

EI-SD Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah this is often overlooked. I get about 600+ uniques per day after only a couple days of *lazy* SEO from long tail keywords. My site has one page of content: a sales page ;). No doubt my content sites are dominating the SERPs though. Congrats on page 2 for "SEO"

EI-SD, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  2. Scoding

Scoding Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Quite allot of info you have provided, and thats great. MY problem is that i never actually trust seo, i don't know why but just to be honest it never looked like good way to get allot of visitors before i started reading and now im in situation in which i have to chose what to do next. I'm professional web developer but i wish to try out something related to affiliate market and SERP and here we go i start reading ur thread, which is great!

And now few questions

What would be best use of long tail? Affiliate marketing? lets say selling cameras or something like that?

Okey lets say i choose to sell cameras(i won't but just for example) what shall people see when they are linked to my page? or what shall page contain to be in the top 10? Your experienced i'm sure you know what would be better, like reviews, links to different shops(affiliate) and explanation of their offers pluses and minuses? or? Because i'm kinda lost in this :/

Thanks, and sorry it might sound none sense in some places -> i'm almost sleeping :D

P.s. Sorry i cant afford you :p

Scoding, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  3. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent article other than the math :). There are plenty of search terms not in the top ten traffic-wise that are not long tail.

For example, my top ten search terms generate 22.6% of my search engine traffic. Then my search terms ranking in traffic from #11 to #60 (that is, the first 50 after the top ten) include only 5 long tail and 45 that are not long tail. So it would be inaccurate to say that the remaining 77.4% of my traffic was long tail related. Only 5 of search phrases 11-60 traffic-wise were long tail.

Jim4767, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  4. marclindsay

marclindsay Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course your Math example above depends on how well you know your site.

In quite a lot of my main sites a fair chunk comes from the main keyword.

But in a new site like this, with lots of pages all targetting long tail keywords.

It would be safe to assume that his math is pretty much correct for the most part of it.

Especially since his top keywords were something like 12 searches.

But yes in a more established site the stats may change depending on the market reach, traffic available & amount of pages.

Regards
    Marc

marclindsay, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  5. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    Good, everyone loves long tail. Can you tell us what keyword tool did you use?

wokaka, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  6. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    If you are doing it as affiliate, doing reviews would be a good approach because you are targeting potential customers that are undecided on a make or model and are looking for more information before they buy. So cater to both needs and provide them with the info and the sale.

Shoppers who "know" exactly what they want are likely to have a fair idea on the going price of the item so if your prices aren't the cheapest pitching to the unsure is a good approach for sales. They are more inclined to do an impulse buy when they come to your page, find a good review and think ahh why not it sounds like a good camera. Reviews also usually contain alot of technical data, specifications and that sort of things so these will form part of your long tail strategy.

Well the math is 100% for that particular site. Each site is different depending on niche, size of the site, if it consists primarily of text based content etc.

Your stats are quite normal, your top 10 terms bring in roughly 1/4 of your search traffic. However if your terms from 11-60 only have a few hits this would virtually fall under long tail despite it being 2 or 3 words because it's a low competition term or a term that only pulls in a few visitors.

My example has a only a very small percentage of total traffic for the top 10 terms because it's a fairly new site so naturally it will come up page one on long tail keywords first.

However today it's popped up on the first page for 3 major 2 word terms, so expect over the next 4 weeks for the top 10 search terms to account for about a quarter of the total traffic much like yours. Also in todays stat update, it's got another 1,500 new search terms or rather about 1,000 more page 1 rankings.

sweetfunny, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  7. Scoding

Best Answers:
    well but reviews has to contain data that i collect after using it for short period of time... and that a problem... i have to buy the item and that is not in my budget... what other things(money making wise) can you get from long tail? affiliate is the main one that comes to my mind... or even with afiliate what other products can you aim to make good money?

Scoding, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  8. profire

profire Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks you very much friend. This was such a great resource. Regards.

profire, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  9. acuman

acuman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for a great post!

One of my sites top ten phrases is 30%
    So I think this means I need to work on my long tail phrases.

acuman, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  10. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    To be completely honest, i'm not a great affiliate marketer. I focus on Organic SEO and the algorithm side of things. For me there's too much hype, bogus testimonials and claims of instant wealth with it all. I do have revenue from affiliate marketing, but i don't focus on it.

With that said, an affiliate marketer wouldn't buy every make and model camera available because it just wouldn't be profitable. He would go to the manufacturers site and get all the technical info and review it based on that.

11. Scoding

Best Answers:
    Thanks sweetfunny, if you ever have free moment drop your msn to my pm i love chatting with people that aren't new on web :) consider it :)

Regards,
    Saulius A.
    Manager of WWW.scoding.COM

Scoding, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  12. gtull1

gtull1 Guest

Best Answers:

I'm convinced that everything on the net is hype and bogus testimonials. It's just too easy to say whatever you want, without any consequences (ie. looking the man in his eyes).

:O)

gtull1, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  13. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, they are mostly two- and three-word keyword phrases with decent traffic. For example, the twenty search terms from 11 to 30 traffic-wise draw about 4,000 unique visitors a month. That's well below the top ten keywords, but not insignificant.

Let me reaffirm, though, I was just half-jesting with the "math" comment. :) Your explanation of the importance of long tail keywords was very good. Nice job!

Jim4767, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  14. Joseh7

Joseh7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Awesome info. rep

Joseh7, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  15. delusion

delusion Guest

Best Answers:
    Cheers for the info, got me thinking a bit before I start a new site!

delusion, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  16. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    The 60 or so websites i run have similar average stats to yours, the top 10 keywords only account for around 25% of the total search traffic. But yes that was the idea of this post, most people keep plugging away at a couple of phrases that bring only a tiny portion of the total traffic but ignore the source of the other 75% ;)

17. Donno

Donno Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice post mate.. and im agree with u.

Donno, Dec 29, 2007 IP
  18. internetforme

internetforme Guest

Best Answers:
    good post with excellent information

internetforme, Dec 29, 2007 IP
  19. BioPod

BioPod Peon

Best Answers:

Hi, your posts were very interesting and I enjoyed reading and learning from them, but there is something I must ask about the part that I've had quoted.

I tried to use my "trophy keyword" in the footer as you suggested, but the next morning I found that I have no more ranking for that word, I still did not remove this internal link since I'm not sure that this is the cause for it (I've also got submitted to some 500 directories last week), would you think that this is the cause for disappearing from the SERP?

The long tail keywords I was high for remain the same.

BioPod, Dec 29, 2007 IP
  20. live-cms_com

live-cms_com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The the month of December I had -

2000 key phrases with the top 10 accounting for 40% of the traffic. That was about 20,000 visitors.

I rank for like 50 (relatively short tail) key phrases in image search which brought 400,000 visitors. :eek:

live-cms_com, Dec 29, 2007 IP