1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

separate domain versus a subfolder

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by vad111, Oct 5, 2009.

I have let's say mysite.com and I translated it into Hebrew and Russian languages, so the question is would it be better to create separate domains for each language or to place translated site in subfolder of existing domain: mysite.com/ru/ , mysite.com/he/
    What is better to do SEO-wise or otherwise and why?
    Thanks for your help
    Vadim

vad111, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  2. sevnrock

sevnrock Peon

Best Answers:
    Separate them by folders so you can focus your marketing efforts on your main site. If you make another domain, then you're starting from the beginning all over again for each language.

Make sure you separate your site into three. yoursite.com, yoursite.com/ru/, yoursite.com/he/. Validate those three individually into Webmasters, etc. Create separate sitemaps/robots and target each to their respective country.

sevnrock, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  3. vad111

vad111 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's exactly what I did but Google and other search engines seems to be reluctant to index these new subfolders. So my friend said that Google will put more weight on main domains than on subfolders like yoursite.com/ru/
    He said it is better to make yoursite.ru instead of yoursite.com/ru/
    Is it true?

vad111, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  4. karpok

karpok Active Member

Best Answers:
    When you target a site regional wise, it is good to create a new domain like yoursomain.co.uk, yoursomain.fr, ... to make your site more seo friendly. If you create a sub folders, it helps you to the visitors who visits your site. But, it is very hard to get into the specified region that your language targets.

So, go for individual translated domains. It helps a lot in seo, no doubt.

All the best...

karpok, Oct 5, 2009 IP