1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEOChat deleteing threads and banning highly respected members

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by faremax, Nov 18, 2005.

1. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Exactly my point

fryman, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  2. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    NOW they think of fixing some of it...after the damage haz been done! :D

Nintendo, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  3. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dont get the logic behind the change at all. Why were ALL the links on the site nofollowed? make no sense. What research says thats a good move?

lorien1973, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Well, for what I understood they did a no+follow modification on ALL their links, and the sigs got included. Now they have figured a way to keep the sigs out of that modification.

fryman, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  5. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I get that. But why would you make navigation links that go to other areas of seochat nofollow and links to places like devshed nofollow as well? If SERPs were falling, as suggested, you would want more links, not less to those sites.

Crosslinking perhaps? Maybe they thought that was the problem?

lorien1973, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    From their admin

fryman, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  7. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    DP has literally TONS of posts across the forums that have links in them and so far there's been no sign of search engines not liking these boards!! Only thing that's occured here is... growth!!!

Nintendo, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  8. bigdoug

bigdoug Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, my name is Big Doug and I have 806 posts at SEO-Chat. I will not talk about the Sandbox nor bore you with "why does Google hate my site?". I have 25 websites that I maintain, and will offer the best criticism I can for the modern SEO.;)

D

bigdoug, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  9. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    lol, that sounded like an introduction at an AA meeting :D

Glad to see you over here, Doug

fryman, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  10. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    lol, great way to put it...kind of scratched my head myself

But welcome all the same BD

GRIM, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  11. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay I still don't understand this.. From recent upgrades of VBulletin at DP I am pretty sure that they added a lot of no-follow on non-important links available easily in the software.

All that being said, is all this being done to avoid duplicate content penalties? That is the real only potential SEO benefit from going to all this trouble. And when the users got upset about the signatures, instead of saying it is what it is.. why not clearly explain what happened and why and that also you were trying to find a way to re-include the sigs.

Seems super bizarre to me. At the best they are guilty of horrendous communication.

Regardless welcome to DP to those displaced from SEOChat. In the 5 plus months I have been here this place has been growing at amazing rate. I am guessing some 20 new forums have been added in that time just due to the volume of discussion on various topics.

aeiouy, Nov 19, 2005 IP
  12. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I must admit that I don't get the reason for the nofollow links in any way shape or form.
    I am 100% certain that spiders still follow links with nofollow - they never show as BL's in link: searches, but they are definitely followed. I've tested this with the only links into a brand new site being 'no follows' and the site was still indexed (by all 3 main SEs).
    I just don't get that it was some misguided idea to avoid dup content filters - the only way to avoid dup content filters is to remove the dup content. My guess is that they ended up having massive amounts of cross-linking between their sites and got penalized for that.

I'll add my welcome to any who do move across to here from there.
    I think most people who posted there are members here anyway but perhaps we'll see more and more of some people.

jlawrence, Nov 21, 2005 IP
  13. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, i have used the nofollow tag on a couple different sites and Google, Yahoo and MSN has obeyed the tag and not followed those links.

I would think the only reason they would use the tag is so they would not get penalized for linking to banned or penalized sites. No follow has nothing to do with nor any impact on dup content.

kaptain, Nov 21, 2005 IP