1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO: Trying to speed up the hands of time?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ViciousSummer, Apr 2, 2004.

I was doing some market research today and came across something I found interesting...If you search for "lingerie" in google (searched for almost 100K times per day), www.lingerie.com comes up #5. This site has used no SEO, yet is ranked very high. They do not have a links page and google is only showing 15 backlinks. Index page is PR4. The only thing this site has going for them is that they have 1500 pages of content & they've been online for 10 years. So, what I'm wondering is this: should I really be spending so much time trying to get links to my site? It appears that simply the time this site has been online, has thrust it to the front of the pack...Or is it the fact that the URL is lingerie.com? :confused:

ViciousSummer, Apr 2, 2004 IP
  2. ephricon

ephricon Peon

Best Answers:
    I think those 1,500 pages of content help them too. If you have a good text link navigation structure Google can easily see the relationship between all those content pages. I'm sure thats a huge factor. Its possible they also give more weight to single word URLs than say just optimized-website-name.com, since its so tough to get a one word, meaningful URL one could assign credibility (or at least persistance) to that...

ephricon, Apr 2, 2004 IP
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    The other answer is you can't make decisions like you are suggesting from the placement of a single site in a SERP that includes 16,200,000.

How did the other 9 of the top ten get there? And besides that you don't have a one word domain, 1500 pages and you haven't been around for 10 years. So you have to do other things to get your site well indexed, even if your analysis of why this site ranks 5 is correct.

compar, Apr 2, 2004 IP
  4. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    summer...
    you site is looking better than the last time i saw it.
    i still dont think that gray text shows very well on the black background.
    the dark pink on light pink is a little rough on the eyes too.
    some of those grannies looking for sexy undies might have a hard time seeing it.
    [...and those guys going blind from 'you-know-what' might have trouble too.]

:D

[also...index page image 4 and 5 links are messed up.]

relaxzoolander, Apr 2, 2004 IP
  5. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you see ..

hustler panties 3.0 /day
    lingerie 55,369.0 /day
    lingeries 115.0 /day

you have your domain name repeated 3 times on your home page. that give you little.

your hustlerpanties name gives you zero benefit for keywords like lingery BUT for panties !! - while theirs giving full credit to them for lingerie

lingeries . com has the word lingeries in the domain name - they CAN repeat their domain name without wasting ad space.

in addition they do what you are supposed to do ..
    if you look again at all combinations of
    http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/?keywords=Lingerie
    then you have many of the top keyword combinations in their HOME page such as
    Plus Sizes - but actually (overture ) plus size lingerie 1,631.3 /day would be better as a title

look at their URL paths .. like

lingerie/romantic/bustier/bustier.html ..
    misseslingerie/shirley/bra/bras.html
    plus/lingerie/romantic/plus.html
    hosiery/hosiery.html

they have 2-4 keywords included in their full Paths !!

and at same time they still are lazy with paths like
    /header/images/LingerieNavHeader3_09.gif
    and giving away ranks

look at the many TITLES each one full of key words like
    Lingerie, Stockings, and Hosiery

and the many links with anchor texts .. THEY have filled wit keywords !
    and YOU ? have

"details" 5 x
    HERE 1x
    Click HERE 1x
    ... and more such as mentioned earlier in another post

and another marketing factor - i hope you know the difference in MEANING of black panties / lingerie and white, red or colorful panties and lingerie ..
    as anchor text !!

i think thats what some published before -
    the NUMBER of links in my opinion is secondary - thats why i never cared about that and have few only.

but you can compensate by

remove your 3 domain names and replace them with keywords relevant to your actual products AND your domain name ( at least the interesting part of it .. )
    panties 43,030.0 /day

so you combine your panties or pantie with words like sexy, lingerie, girls, hot, erotic, ..
    and

look at the mistakes and weakness that domain has:
    title tag weak weak ! THAT counts in google !!
    description weak - many of the keywords relevant to site and products offered missing in THEIR description tag - THAT counts for G & Y !!

and

their page titles are H4 only !!
    make it H1 - even if you reduce size of fonts

it is bad style to have NO H1 AND inefficient for page positions ! that s YOUR advantage because THEY missed that - why ? too spoiled with the domain name, all links, file names and folder names that these mistakes are simple overruled by the many CONSCIOUS excellent SEO they made - then you become careless in small things sometimes - giving room for another one to compete :)
    Titles have different priorities H1 before H2 and so on !

just have the courage to have a FULL remake of your page - changing paths with relevant folder names and file names and jpg and gif names !! and alt and anchor texts.

you see that you are in a high competition business - you have to be good and fight by being creative and innovative.

brand names are secondary - important are popular names what people call your lingerie and parts of it - brands can then be mentioned later one some place ( example if a known brand has a SMALL gif you may show it some place BUT call / rename it sexy_lingery.gif or what ever ! its enough for people to see the brand name - all files need product relevant names ..

and in your main title you have

YOUR version of title:
    ------------------------
    Welcome to Hustler Panties.com - Hustler Lingerie and Rhinestone Jewelry Store!
    thats too much and hence inefficient
    key words only
    panties, lingerie and sexy ... or something similar - 3-4 words max 5 ALL keywords
    nothing like store or welcome or domain name .. just real stuff

my version - max 3-5 words more only if you can afford it - select ONE topic lingerie OR jewelry ! - i assume lingerie - hence
    -------------
    "Sexy lingerie - lingerie gallery for sexy hot babes"
    ( this includes a number of variations of the top keyword combinations you have seen used in
    Keyword Suggestion Tool ) ( all the way down bottom of page more on combination title )

depending on EXACT keywords USED to come to your web site -
    ( see accurate research on YOUR access_log 1-2 months AFTER the changes !! ) -
    you may remove one or 2 words and shorten like

"Sexy lingerie - lingerie gallery"

description meta tag:

your version:
    ---------------
    "Welcome to Hustler lingerie online super store! Hustler brand apparel at sale prices.
    Everything from sexy thong underwear to lacy boyshorts, garter belts to thigh hi stockings & even rhinestone jewelery!
    FREE shipping on all orders!"

My version:
    -------------
    "If you love to be a hot, sexy or naughty lingerie babe, then you find a wide selection of hustler panties, seductive
    hot and sexy women lingery in in all sizes, also plus size lingerie in our online store with a lingerie gallery showing a selection
    of lingerie pics of our brands of womens and teens lingerie, valentines lingerie - fine hot adult sexy lingerie for
    hot babes and seductive sexy women."

AND i would even start the page on top with the IDENTICAL text as above with the keywords USED as anchor to individual pages.

adapted to MORE pages with MORE special words / lingerie words as needed and offered in your online store.

Combination page titles .

if your competition sleeps in SEO then you can combine a number of TOP keywords into a title that makes sense and is directly
    related to your page and hence your business.

one such example can be one of my pages i made a few months ago - just for fun and gratitude for being guest in a foreign
    country here. I love the PH and a few places very specially - hence i created a few pages

and i called them

Places i love ..

i have 3 main places i do my online work - ( one such place is Mindoro, the other is Boracay) here we use as a learning demo:

Philippines - Places i love ( page <title> )

H1 = Places i love ...
    H2 = Bauang and San Fernando La Union - Philippines

If you enter in Google for example

Places i love - Bauang and San Fernando La Union - Philippines

"Bauang" is the city, "san fernando" next city ( we are between ) "la union" is province, "Philippines" country :)
    surfers use any combination of above to search AND usually find in top ten the one page i made with combo words

some people use all that !

others use combination of above but less words like:

Places i love - Bauang
    Bauang and San Fernando La Union
    Bauang and San Fernando La Union - Philippines
    Places i love - Philippines

others know the hotel name and use combinations like:

Bali Hai Beach Resort Philippines
    Bali Hai Philippines la union
    or
    Places i love - la union
    Places i love - mindoro
    Places i love - boracay

... and many more combinations ..

and you can do exact same search same in Yahoo and get almost identical results since they cleaned up their db a
    few days ago !

hans, Apr 3, 2004 IP
    sarahk and subseo like this.
  6. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Zoolander, I took your advice about the layout and switched it up a bit. It's still not exactly what I want, yet, but I'm learning web design as I go along...I'll work on the color scheme for ya, but I'm not promising anything
    :D

ViciousSummer, Apr 3, 2004 IP
  7. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    relaxzoolander, Apr 3, 2004 IP
  8. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Damn, Zoolander, your worse then having a boss ;) . Just kidding, thanks for the heads up. I fixed the links, so you can resume clicking through the pretty panties :D !

ViciousSummer, Apr 3, 2004 IP
  9. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    those skull socks are cool. ;)

relaxzoolander, Apr 3, 2004 IP
  10. Dr.Dixler

Dr.Dixler Guest

Best Answers:
    In the last few months there has been a lot of new development to push your own Rank and PageRank. I can recommend the following way. Even if you have to register a used domain for some pennies out there but it works and doesn´t cost you much time.

Go and re register a used "old" domain. There are thousands of valuable old domains deleted every day with a high PageRank and plenty much back links left. There are some domain news services which tells you domains that are available and they also check if a PageRank is mirrored, means they check if the PageRank is truth. To get those info on deleted domains go to deleted domains Domainbroadcasting for example.

Find and register an old dropped domain like "www.lingerie.com" with a high PageRank; many of them are also still listed in the DMOZ and Yahoo Catalog. Put one text link direct to your page. After a while the Google Bot will come along - also with a lot of old useful traffic - and will crawl your domain fully (watch your log files). With one of the next Google PR updates you will get a PageRank usually -1 than the domain you snaped there. I took a PageRank 6 domain which was first registered in 1997 and now I have a PR of 5 and it took 104 days! :2gunfire:

You can save a lot of time instead of trying to get a first class link from somewhere or setting links around the world. With this method I received nearly 200 back links from different IP hosted websites within a day - that counts too.

BTW: If anybody can help me too? Who knows a fast and realy cheap domainhoster specilized for .it, .ch or .fr domains please email me, because these domains have the highest PageRank in there as far as I recognized and nobody can afford them-it seems. :idea:

Dr.Dixler, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  11. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've found that content pays off in the long run, but links are better in the short term. I have brand new websites that go from 0 visits a day to 60 because I go out and work hard for link exchanges. But after a year, all the articles will begin bringing in more traffic than the links. It just takes longer.

transduction,

tesla, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  12. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    why you people always like to make reply to old thread

alang, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  13. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't know this thread was old. What do you define as being old for future reference? Does the post have to be two days old or five hours old?

transduction,

tesla, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  14. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I think anyone with more than 2 brain cells would define a thread from April 2004 as old :rolleyes:

I still don't understand why these old threads don't get locked

fryman, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  15. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    And I still don't understand what is wrong with using an old thread if the posts are still on topic and if there is legitimately new or additional information to be added. My question is why start a new thread? One of the problems with this forum IMO is that there are too damn many virtually duplicate threads. More judicious use of existing threads and titles would be a good thing in my view.

We encourage newbies to search for the answers to their questions before starting new threads and then you jump all over them if the post to an old thread. I don't understand?????

compar, Sep 28, 2005 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  16. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Where is the new or aditional information? I can't see it

fryman, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  17. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Dr Dixler and tesla are both on topic and at least express their opinions. You and I may not agree with their opinions or claims completely, but we wouldn't agree with them if posted in a new thread either.

So what do you suggest? Do you think Dr Dixler should have started a new thread with a title "Here is why you should be patient" . Would that be acceptable to you, whereas posting the same information to an old thread is verboten?

I know it is a pet peeve of yours but tell me what damage is done? There is all kinds of idiotic of topics, thread hijackings, and other inane postings that go on in these forums. I see the posting to an old thread as one of the least offensive. Why does it get your shorts in a knot?

compar, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  18. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    schlottke, Sep 29, 2005 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  19. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem with bringing up old threads is most people don't look at the original date of threads when they get popped back up.. So sometimes people wade through old information and even potentially out-dated and wrong/erroneous information.

Discussiosn from over a year ago can easily be restoked with a new thread. An old topic dug up on the same subject is rarely going to have the same impact. Considering what percentage of the people here were not even around the last time this thread was active, I think a new thread would be entirely warranted. it is one thing if it was a few weeks ago..

When you get into periods of years, then the negatives of resurfacing old threads are normally worse than the benefits. If it is so important to connect to an old thread, then create a new one and link to the old one.

And the reality is a lot of the recently bumped threads have consisted of a sentence or so that really didn't do much to do anything than just waste time.

I appreciate the instinct of people to use search and go back and find old topics and read them. It is a level of behavior that is pretty much devoid on the majority of internet forums. That being said, a good thing can be taken to far. I know when I read old subjects that I won't ever reply to a thread that is passed a certain period of time. I just don't think it makes a forum better.

aeiouy, Sep 29, 2005 IP
  20. dougadam

dougadam Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would think the 1500 pages of content has alot to do with it.

dougadam, Oct 1, 2005 IP