1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO The Things To Avoid

Discussion in 'Google' started by dsouza, Aug 1, 2008.

Don't use the same Title Tag throughout your site. Try using a unique Title tag for each web page and use your most important keywords in the Title tags that hold theme relevance to that page.

Don't use any other META tags such as author, date, etc. unless you absolutely need it. This will just increase your page size and will not do any good to your site.

Most major engines cannot read frames so I will advice you that you don't use it but If you must use frames, include important body text within a <no frames> tag.

Avoid using completely Flash designs because a majority of major engines can't index flash sites and Flash sites take some time to open fully so it my be frustrating for visitors who don't use a broadband to wait hours for the site to open.

Avoid using JavaScripts or JavaScript links. Spiders cannot crawl links in Java Script so its better that you don't use JavaScripts but if you must use it then make sure that you use a text link at the bottom of each page.
    Keyword stuffing: Keyword stuffing refers to the extremely repetition of a keyword when it is not even needed. Many people stuff keywords in their pages in order to increase their keyword density and thus get a high ranking. But be careful as I said its very very risky please don't try this it may get you banned.

Invisible or Tiny text: Many webmasters use tiny text and invisible text in order to rank high by showing lots of text to search engines but at the same time making it invisible for the humans this also viewed as spam.
    Never submit more than the allowed number of pages per engine per day or week. Each search engine has a limit and exceeding their limits can be seen as spamming the search engines.

Do not participate in link farms or link exchange programs. Search Engines have identified them as spam and they don't want you to use it.
    Don't use "&id=" parameter if you want maximal Googlebot crawlage (many sites use "&id=" with session ID's that Googlebot usually avoids URL's with that parameter).

Don't stuff your page with keywords and no content. The search engines will penalize you for this and view your page as spam.

Do not put redirects or META refresh tags on your page for any reason. They will get your pages banned from the search engines. A common trick used to be to create a page 100% text and highly search engine friendly but of 0% user value, then have a redirect to the real page. This doesn't work anymore - avoid it

Always remember to use navigation menu at the right side of each page of your site, why? because search engines count the first few phrases appearing on the page, this way you would provide the search engines the content first.

Make your site is search engine friendly. Its no use having the best site in the world which no one can find. And for every one's sake don't mess around with hidden layers to get a high listing on the engines. It is JUST NOT worth the risk!

Don't link to a bad neighbor, because linking to a bad neighborhood can get your site banned from the search engines as soon as his site gets banned by the search engine the search engine may ban you also.

You can read more of my articles from my seo articles directory. You can also read my search engine optimization tips here.

dsouza, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  2. Entropy1982

Entropy1982 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks I am trying to put together a few adsense sites and stuff like this is super helpful! :)

Entropy1982, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  3. IEmailer.com

IEmailer.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice tips, good for beginners... thank you for sharing ;)

IEmailer.com, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  4. hippypink

hippypink Member

Best Answers:
    and whatever you do, dont believe anything you read about SEO.
    Only believe what works for you.

hippypink, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  5. sunil_gupta20801

sunil_gupta20801 Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is something really very good and should always follow.

What if someone bad links to you and you did not know?:(

sunil_gupta20801, Aug 1, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  6. Ratchet

Ratchet Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for this guide. This will help me on my current forums and site. I have Repped you for this too. Thanks.

Ratchet, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  7. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nice tips, thanks for sharing :)

angilina, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  8. sitefreak

sitefreak Peon

Best Answers:
    i aggree good tips

sitefreak, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  9. seobeginner

seobeginner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

yes, i cannot understand that, what if someone purposely links to give get you banned?

seobeginner, Aug 2, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  10. motherknucker

motherknucker Guest

Best Answers:
    Keeping the navigation bar on left or right doesn't matter.

motherknucker, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  11. byallnames

byallnames Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello dsouza,

Thanks for summing it all up.

What do you think about submitting your site to directories? Can appearing on a low PR directory do you any harm?

Thanks,
    byallnames

byallnames, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  12. Entropy1982

Entropy1982 Member

Best Answers:
    I've also wondered about this. I would be afraid to that unless someone can confirm it is safe.

Entropy1982, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  13. simonspurr

simonspurr Peon

Best Answers:
    some nice tips there

simonspurr, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  14. lakelandprinting

lakelandprinting Peon

Best Answers:
    "Never submit more than the allowed number of pages per engine per day or week. Each search engine has a limit and exceeding their limits can be seen as spamming the search engines."

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Who would submit their website to search engines every day? That's what sitemaps are for.

lakelandprinting, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  15. William

William Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not necessary. Place the content first in the document and then CSS to position the navigation to display where ever you want.

William, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  16. popowich

popowich Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Create original content. Don't flood your forum with RSS feeds and other automated garbage!

-Raymond

popowich, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  17. cashmirrors

cashmirrors Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

If the directory has SOME PR and is a legitimate directory than you cannot do any harm to your rankings from it. Most of the time it's a matter of whether or not it's worth your time and money with directories.

cashmirrors, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  18. jvcus17

jvcus17 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the info..i am still in the process of learning about SEO

jvcus17, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  19. dsouza

dsouza Peon

Best Answers:
    I am realy fealing great that you all are liking my thread.

dsouza, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  20. crexsky

crexsky Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the super useful tips!

crexsky, Aug 18, 2008 IP