1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO Site-Augmentation Tools Upgraded

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by Owlcroft, Jul 6, 2004.

There have been two significant upgrades to the free site-augmentation tools at the SEO Tools, Toys, and Packages Site:

The "Freebie" package, which can with only modest one-time install effort, add thousands of relevant, daily changing pages to any site, is now at 0.98, with the added ability to do "complex" keyword searches, yet more substantial documentation, and a fix for the weird problem that a few servers were having (it turned out that they buffer output without telling anyone).

And the "Weather" dropin tool has a new file-load routine to accomodate the server-side changes made by the supplier of the XML weather data.

With the "Freebie" logjam broken (finding that nasty server "gotcha" was quite tedious), I hope to be adding more tools soon. If anyone has any particular wants, please message me.

(Remember, these--and the others on the site--are not tools to see how you're doing with SEO: they are tools to actually accomplish SEO augmentation of sites.)

Owlcroft, Jul 6, 2004 IP
    North Carolina SEO likes this.
  2. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    The link to the "Freebie" package returns a page with the statement, "We're sorry, but you have tried to reach a site page that doesn't exist! To help you find what you were looking for, here's a site directory.." :eek:

I've been trying to install the package I down loaded a couple of days ago but haven't had any luck. I've met all of the system requirements. I'm hoping this new upgrade with solve the problem. :eek:

ResaleBroker, Jul 6, 2004 IP
  3. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Eric:

My interest was raised by two paragraphs on your web page:

Size Does Matter: the sheer page count of a site, especially if it is quite large, does influence both SERPs and Google's proprietary (but significant) Page Rank (PR) value.​

Page size most likely has an influence on SERPS.

It is my (poor) understanding, however, that inbound links is the only factor which affects PageRank. I do not believe that page size will effect PR.

Freshness Counts: pages with content that changes frequently suggest to the search engines that your site has timely, fresh material, which makes your site notably more "important" to them; and the number of your pages that change--and how frequently they change--is likely a significant element in determining SERPs.​

Do you have any evidence to support this rather bold statement?

Will.Spencer, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  4. Harold

Harold Peon

Best Answers:
    Harold, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  5. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Any version below the current 0.98 is liable to a very, very nasty "gotcha" on some servers: those servers buffer echo'ed script output even when buffering is not requested by the script; for short scripts--the usual sort--that's no big deal, but for a script that can take half an hour to an hour or even more to run, it's absolutely, poisonously fatal. I spent the better part--or, arguably, the worse part--of two weeks of daily effort tracking down that nutzoid "gotcha", which, like most "gotchas", was easily fixed once the cause was known. Bless their pointy little heads . . . .

As we used to say when I was in the broadcast news business, we don't write 'em folks, we just report 'em.

As it says in the front page for the "Freebie" package:

You might want to look at this explanation of Page Rank, in which is stated Fact: The maximum amount of PageRank in a site increases as the number of pages in the site increases . . . . The more pages that a site has, the more PageRank it has. (Emphasis added.)​
    If you take the trouble to follow that link, you will find it leads to the relevant portion of a moderately technical and obviously quite well-informed disquisition on Page Rank, and you can follow the reasoning and the math, whose conclusions are ineluctable. (I highly recommend that paper to anyone who wants a real understanding of what PR is and isn't.)

Owlcroft, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  6. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've read that article and it was great! I have a much better understanding of PR because of it.

ResaleBroker, Jul 8, 2004 IP
  7. dirtdog1960theone

dirtdog1960theone Active Member

Best Answers:
    Owlcroft

Always enjoy your posts.

The weather plugin looks snazzy. I like it [​IMG] :)

The omniknow site is interesting also. How did you generate the search link
    here ?

http://omniknow.com/common/wiki.php?in=en&term=Agricultural_tractor

Select Relevant Sites: Tractor
    is that a dmoz thing?

and these links? pretty cool can't be hand made ;)

All Links From This Article to Other OmniKnow Articles:
    All Links From This Article to OmniKnow Images:

dirtdog1960theone, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  8. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Be sure you are using the very lartest version of the Weather dropin; I switched data sources to an XML feed that seems not to go down as the old one too often did, plus it fetches its data as a daemon process, so your real-time display is not hung waiting for data.

The OmniKnow links, such as--

http://omniknow.com/common/wiki.php?in=en&term=Agricultural_tractor

--are generated by random selectin from the known lists at the omniknow site (which, since I own it, I know the innards of). Each use of the Know dropin lists and links to a new, randomly selected article.

(There are right now 856,947 different articles, a number that typically grows daily.)

Owlcroft, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  9. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

Size doesnt affect PR. I put up a 2 page site as basically a place holder. First pr update it jumped to PR5. Very few links, non existant traffic. It was not much more then a placeholder.

joeychgo, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  10. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Indians always walk single file, or at least the only one I ever saw did.

Owlcroft, Feb 9, 2005 IP