1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO friendly thematic directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by earncef, Oct 29, 2005.

Can anyone tell me where can I find a free script which will build a directory on a specific theme by indexing some site like dmoz. It should also be SE friendly.

earncef, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  2. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    WhatiFind, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  3. earncef

earncef Guest

Best Answers:
    No not those kind of directories. In those directories links have to be added manually. I want a script which automatically indexes a site like dmoz and makes a directory for a specific keyword

earncef, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  4. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand, where are you searching for the keyword - the DMOZ site linkk description or the category?

If you find a match, what do you do, create a matching categroy and dump the link into it? If so, you end up with unconnected categories spread all over the place with no connection.

Are you planning on doing this in real time from DMOZ, or from an RDF download?

I'm creating stuff using http://www.phplinkdirectory.com/ - by pulling data from DMOZ.

macdesign, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  5. Xela220

Xela220 Peon

Best Answers:
    Mac,

How are you parsing the dump files?

Xela220, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  6. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    For the phpdirectoy - I'm not using the rdf dump, I'm dealing with a small number of categories - less than 100, and a small number of sites - less than 1500, and feeding directly from dmoz.org - it's less work to do that than downloading RDF and extracting subsets and it does not put a heavy load on the DMOZ servers so I won't get blocked.

I might rewrite the code to go from RDF dumps later.

For other directories, I've rolled my own software for php, and do RDF extraction by a combination of PERL and Visual FoxPro. But those don't have the ability for users to add their own links and link/exchange etc. - the advantage of phpdirectoy and WSNlinks is that it gives you a starting point and then add your own customization rather then starting from scratch.

macdesign, Oct 30, 2005 IP