1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO Chat vs. DP

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by driven, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Initial DP members migrated from SEO chat. Shawn started his keyword tracker at right time just before SEO chat became a place on which to hang ads. All the top posters opened their own forums.

Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  2. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah my Random SEO Chat with emphasis on General Chat and only 1 SEO chat per 1000 General Chat threads didn't take off real well.

Hodgedup, Oct 18, 2005 IP
    yfs1 likes this.
  3. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    What gets me on seo chat is the amount of moderation. I mean what harm could a little bit of getting out of line possibly do? Add too much excitement?

Blogmaster, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  4. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    how about search engine watches moderation?

ferret77, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I have to say, that the level of moderation is very high at SEW as well. But one thing over there is that you get a high level of new information being shared and the answers on questions are given very professionally without any fluff. It's not a play around forum, but I like going there because you get what you need. Also people are willing to openly share a lot of info. You don't really hang out and chit chat, but there is a different form of energy.

I don't get anything out of seochat anymore, absolutely nada. Every thread is like:

A: I think PR is over (B agrees: "you are so right, thank you")
    B: Hi A, great info, thank you (A agrees: I know :) )
    C: I love you both (B agrees "I know you do", A agrees:"You so bad" D agrees: *kiss*)
    D: Hi guys, you've made my morning :)
    Newbie: Why is PR over? *rest moderated by AB and C who are also modes* <ABCDEFG disagree: "you bastard, you made me cry")
    E: I have banned him, we don't need this kind in here.
    A: I've always loved you.
    E: I love you more

Blogmaster, Oct 19, 2005 IP
    blackbug and eduardomaio like this.
  6. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    SEW has good info but the whole posturing thing there is sort of wack.

Sometimes I feel like its all big show, like "look at me I am the most authoritave SEO in WORLD"

I don't really care about the trends of the what big shots are doing with their fortune 500 , $10,000 a month clients. Because usually it doesn't apply to small time spammers like myself. I don't care about the SEO industries trials and tribulations,

I am more into figuring out a way to hustle a few more bucks today.

But I don't post or read much at seochat, I am not into the whole marketing circle jerk thing. I don't care how clever you are or how successful , I am most likely not going to kiss your ass.

ferret77, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  7. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    What I think is that the credibility of seochat is no longer there. I have seen some "information" given on there that was straight up false, but because it was one of the moderators who gave it, nobody dared to disagree. And I know for a fact that a few regulars and other mods over there knew better, but because of who gave that "info", they would not correct it. That IMO is one of the worst ways to run a forum. You might as well allow access to only a few people, so that the "general public" doesn't have to be misinformed.
    SEW has a lot of the show element to it, but knowing some of the main players, I do realize that their strong affiliation with people from the major search engines pretty much puts them in a position where they need to keep things in line over there to keep things going the way that they are.
    One thing about SEW is that I don't believe there would ever be false information given without it being corrected. You may not always get the whole truth, but there is enough credibility there to where they wouldn't jeapordize themselves by letting someone do whatever they want because "he is one of us". I am really surprised so many are using seochat. I find the place depressing to be honest. If you get into the inner circle there, you will get hooked up, but whatever it takes to get in there, may not be worth all of the effort afterall.

Blogmaster, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  8. bigdoug

bigdoug Peon

Best Answers:
    I have over 600 posts at SEO-Chat. There are 10 people over there that are right on the money; Randfish, Egol, Todd, Brandal, and a few others. 100 are close to graduation. 200 are are getting it.

One thing that is driving me crazy though, is the first Google thread (Google optimization). Every newbie by passes the rules of where to post and in this category a new thread begins every minute, squelching a good thread to the bottom. I am not against newbie’s posting, but for God sake, can someone create a category at the top of the index that say's "newbie questions." Because if I here Sandbox, what is reciprocal linking, why Google hates my site, what is the best key word density, one more time... I think I will blow my head off.

SEO-Chat is a great resource, and DP is also a great resource. These are two quality sites that can have immediate impact on SEO techniques and vision of the future.

So who is better? That’s like asking a mother whom she loves more, her son, or her daughter.

D

bigdoug, Oct 19, 2005 IP
    Crazy_Rob likes this.
  9. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Oh, boy, did many of us ask for a solution to that problem... you could find every single topic in the google board and no one would move it to the correct one.

Nothing was ever done.

fryman, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  10. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I posted about credit card fraud in one thread and it was deleted because I warned that most "muslim" countries are the ones highest on the fraud list. Now it sounds harsh or "racist" by some, but duh, its just the flat truth.

Thats when I felt that the moderation there was obviously P.C. and truth would not be tolerated even if it kept someone from being ripped off.

debunked, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  11. Darrin Ward

Darrin Ward Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can't believe I didn't see this thread before now :cool:

I think both forums are great in terms of they both have useful information - but from a usability, convenience and layout aspect, DP is better.

Of course the important thing is to extract (and implement) the useful information from both forums, and indeed the others in the industry.

Darrin Ward, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Back when you ran it, seochat was great, Darrin.

Blogmaster, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  13. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I was just over at seochat, it seems exactly as you describe it mikeD

some posts about google manually reviewing sites

then someone posts something to the effect of

If you make a great site then you will get links naturally and that the best SEO

the three posts say what a great idea that is

Do they pay those people to post over there, like a quarter a post?

ferret77, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  14. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with what you are saying. That is very true. :D

Hodgedup, Oct 24, 2005 IP
  15. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Why don't we play a game and make this the seochat pretend thread.
    OK I start:
    Hodgy, every morning I wake up, I look forward to reading new posts from you :)

Blogmaster, Oct 24, 2005 IP
  16. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ok, is this what you mean?::

Mike - whats that brown stuff on your nose?

or am I suppose to just say:

Me too, I can't wait to wake up in the morning to read your insightful SEO posts - hodgy.

debunked, Oct 24, 2005 IP
    Hodgedup likes this.
  17. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    bravo, what excellent posts

if I only i had some more rep to give you guys

ferret77, Oct 27, 2005 IP
    SEbasic and Blogmaster like this.
  18. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    "If you only knew how much it means to me to post right after you ;)"

haha ok enough :D

Blogmaster, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  19. rmccarley

rmccarley Peon

Best Answers:
    I post a lot at SC and have been trolling around her for a while. So far it seems the threads stay a small bit more OT over there and are less chatty. I have to read 3 pages of posts here to get one page of information over there.

I'm not saying anyone here is less knowledgable. Just that the information isn't as concentrated.

My opinion may be biased, though. Let's see what the authorities have to say...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=seo&btnG=Google+Search
    http://www.google.com/search?q=search+engine+optimization&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&start=10&sa=N
    http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=seo&FORM=QBHP
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=sfp&p=seo
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=search+engine+optimization&prssweb=Search&ei=UTF-8&fr=sfp&fl=0&x=wrt

I see SC a lot... not so much DP. A lot of top 10's too...

But one area DP excells is in the general marketing. And I think this is the difference. SC is very narrow in focus. DP has branched out.

Both are good.

rmccarley, Oct 27, 2005 IP
    SEbasic likes this.
  20. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I disagree with using the authorities to determine quality and compare it. From what I see, Shawn is not even actively trying to rank for those terms. The most knowledgable members here happen to not be the most vocal ones, but once you hang around here and know who is who, there is absolutely no comparison: DP has the most successful members active.

I personally think your post is a lot of smoke-screening. Most of what I read on seochat is common knowledge, this is the only place where I actually find out information that I cannot figgure out myself.

Mike

Blogmaster, Oct 27, 2005 IP