1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO Chat vs. DP

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by driven, Jun 30, 2005.

1. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    Whenever I've visited SEOchat I've found a pretty appalling level of SEO being applied - the last thread I looked at there had someone claiming that not enough text on your index page could get you banned from Google. Despite 3 pages, there was only a single member arguing against that point, and no sign of mods.

I joined DP a long time ago, but only just started posting regularly - I'm finding a good level of intelligence in the regular posters, and it's a place where BS appears to be quickly shot down (go Noppid!). There's also a genuine and informal sense of community here, which is good to see. I barely post outside of my own forums now, but for the time being, DP is a good place to be.

WMW is a place I never got into - some good people there, but too much noise in the SEO sections when I look.

I. Brian, Jul 1, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  2. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    SEO Chat is way too slow for me. It takes forever for pages to load and my attention span is short. :) DP has a great group of people that speak their minds. The board here is not over moderated like others are.

SEO Chat has decent topics that are more focused but if you have to wait an hour for the page to load it just isn't worth it.

larysmith711, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  3. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    we are here to learn more on optimization, to get a higher rankings on the search engine and eventually convert those traffic to sales..

seo is a continuing process since google frequently update their algorithm..we learn things and after that give advises for the incoming members who just start seo

it doesnt matter the loading time as long you find the solutions on what you've been really looking for

bentong, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  4. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    just like many others mentioned, ads on seochat is the main reason i never really liked it. it's just pathetic how money hungry that network is (devshed, seochat, etc). why don't they get it that money is not everything and you have to attract new visitors and build loyalty among existing ones. you don't do that with 10 intrusive ads per page!

Liminal, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  5. driven

driven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mike,
    Of course not. But if you are on an online forum, you may as well have a sig or sigs. If it's not that big of a deal to you, how bout deleting your sigs for two weeks and see if you go through signature withdrawal syndrome (SWS) :)

driven, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  6. driven

driven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Aside from SEO Chats' slow pageloads, I really do find the majority of their articles on SEO to quite informative. I print out quite a number of them and put them in a binder to refer to later.

I'm big on information and I believe information is power. I really think that we live in a knowledge economy nowadays and as mentioned in the Cluetrain manifesto , "all markets are conversations", especially online forums such as DP.

Having compared both forums, IMHO, I do believe there is a greater sense of community on DP. Whenever, I post a question on DP, someone always takes the time to answer it, via publicly or privately. The participation level is much higher on DP than on SEOChat. I've posted similar queries on both forums and I just to seem to find more insight and advice on DP. I'm not trying to bash any online forum for that matter but that is my honest opinion on things.

Thanks.

driven, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  7. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    The only way SEOChat is better than DP, is that they allow us to have our own user title. While here we are forced to be a Grunt, Berserker, Raider, whatever..... bah!!!

Nintendo, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Some people can change their user title here. :)

digitalpoint, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I was actually more kidding, I know how important signatures are. I also don't think it is smart to have a 100 post rule because it encourages a lot of "I agree"'s so people can "earn" their siggys.

Like I said: this forum is very natural, freedom of speech and common sense oriented.

Seochat is lame but one thing I have learned 5 years ago is that it comes with the territory of geekiness and the overall nature of many tech people.

What is important about a good forum is not just that there are quality people, but that they are willing to share good info as well.

Seems to be the case in here. There is always room for improvement and that is where good competition comes in. Be a leader, not a follower.

If you don't like something, leave, go whereever you feel comfortable or create your own forum.

... worked for Shawn.

Blogmaster, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  10. markkk

markkk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats what I love with DP, Im not intimidated in posting here my ideas and opinions.

Cheers!:D

markkk, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  11. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    so how do you get in the cool club for that =P

Shoemoney, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  12. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    agree! *thumbs up*

bentong, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  13. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I think that is well said. I found this place originally for its awesome tracking utilities. I got sucked into the forums while waiting for my keyword threads to finish the little "whats on the forums" box got my attention.

I never made much money from my website(s) before coming here.

I have tried to give back by refering some huge clients to digital point for some database conversion but they never got a call back. I also have never gotten a return call from digital point. I guess they dont need any more clients.

Anyway I think this place is the nut.

Shoemoney, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Maybe my comment on the bottom of this thread will get some comments :)

Blogmaster, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  15. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    good one indeed! :D

bentong, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  16. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer DP because the people are more friendly and the atomosphere is more laid back. I've posted over 300 messages here with a tinge of randomness. I think I have under 10 over there.

I do post a lot in the general chat, but more importantly it seems like there is better knowledge here.

Hodgedup, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  17. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    I like DP the best so far, although sitepoint is nice too.. but its stupid how you have to pay for almost everything.

DP is just so friendly, and its just a great place to hang out and be yourself.

Thinking back, this place also was the most helpful when I was just getting into SEO optomization and such. I'd search google with my question, and with like 8/10 of the questions I had, DP would have the solution.. so I just signed up and have been loving it since :)

Josh

Josh, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  18. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I like SEO chat but on whole I like dp better, its more down to earth and more straight information.

SEO chat you get a lot of people trying to sound like big shots to get clients from the forums.

There also is lot of ass kissing and back patting.

I mean that happens alot on fourms when people become friends, but it gets to degree where it seems corny.

ferret77, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  19. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    You can!!! Now how about changing my title to 'King of da Wackos'??!! Don't you think I earned it with all that virgin/dead skin toe and finger nail stuff!!! :D:D

Disclaimer: I'm still a virgin!!!! :D:D

Nintendo, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  20. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Check out my user title - I ante'd up the big bucks to support Shawn's new hardware - felt it was just the right thing to do.

To echo other people's comments, one thing I REALLY like about DP is that it is FAST.

hulkster, Jul 2, 2005 IP