1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO Challenge

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Help Desk, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nobody took to the idea of http://www.christmas-search.com However, I am going to keep this site up for now and will be adding some content to it. I intend for it to become a good source of themed links pointing to the target site.

Help Desk, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    33m, that could be tricky. Saying that though, the #1 site only has 500 or so BL's.

I agree though. We do need to have some kind of designation in terms of what each section of the site will contain.

Personally, I think that a pretty good edge for the forum mught be to aim it at "what are cool presents this christmas?". We could write reviews of the newest kids toys etc, and maybe with TB's amazon script we could sell directly from the site.

This all sounds really good, but we really should work out some kind of contact wethod rather than this board. (I'm not saying that we forget this thread, just that it might be a good idea to talk about some of these things away from the public view).

Anyway, I'm real excitied about this and looking forward to playing with all the different SEO.

Shame about the CF support, but no big deal.

Let's get cracking!

SEbasic, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  3. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    28,200 for linkdomain:christmas.com

leeds1, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  4. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lets make at least one solid decision on this issue and get started.

The suggestions we have to date are (correct me if I'm wrong):
    christmas-search.com
    christmas.homeless.org.au

Once the above decision is made - a private message board on the site should do the trick.

The content is definately there - [as a smaller content item - in terms of the homeless content] I can get some directly from homeless people and a list of places to volunteer on the day 'in your local area.'

There are some very experieced and smart cookies involved in this thread I think we can really make a difference with this.

I'm looking forward to news articles with comments from the team like "we decided to take 'Christmas' and give it to the homeless..."

So - lets get started... what domain?

Dominic, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  5. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey guys, just let me know when you've set the rules and defined the project. I'll jump in with both feet :) I have time to be a worker bee, I don't have time to be a manager/decsion making bee ;)

mopacfan, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  6. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok guys, Mambo is up (http://www.homeless-christmas.com) and forum is up (http://www.homeless-christmas.com/forums/). Ill contact TB and give him global access.

Both of them need a facelift - whos volonteer for that? TB is very good with phpBB so I expect him to setup forums - what forums shall we put? As soon as we set forums up, we can move discussion to the private area there. If you think we need private mailing list, we will put it too, but I think forum is good enough. For now, you can register your account and suggest forums. Dont forget the facelift, please ;) Im coder so my graphic design knowledge isnt near enough to handle that.

Beside it, we need content - again, is there anobody here who has PayPal account and willing to pay 40 euros for SEF advance (best seo mambo addon made directly from developers) - note that your money WILL be refunded (it would be great if you have merchant account or something where you can recieve online payment) - Ill insist on that. I would buy it right away but I dont (cannot) have PayPal account because Im from Serbia.

Also, think about keyworded article categories for Mambo, related to the domain name theme.

Btw, there is an issue with Mambo which I am currently working on - by default, its mail headers may trigger SpamAssisin or similar spam blocker - in the case that you DONT recieve email when you register Mambo account (which is free-for-all, at the moment), contact TB or me via PM, here or there, and we will set it up for you asap (provide us your name and desired username - we will set some test password so that you can change it when you login).

Unfortunatelly, mambo and forum use different user database - we might alter that in the future, so please try to keep both accounts with the same user/pass combination (so that any future updates can be easily applied, without any need to add/remove peoples accounts manually)

I assume this should be enough info to start rocking.

vinyl, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  7. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I forgot this:

So we need as many authors as we can right now as well as editors and publishers who will have enough time to be involved in content publishing and administration. I can hack Mambo to give certain priviledge right upon registering - what do you think its best solution for this? Manual or automatical writing/publishing/editing priviledges, question is now.

vinyl, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  8. mxlabs

mxlabs Peon

Best Answers:
    did I read this right? is it possible to write our own content, then publish it on a page and optimize this page on our own? I might try for this if so, even if its only a quick article on x-mas presents or so...

mxlabs, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  9. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I still haven't heard from the group about which domain we are using:

1. homeless-christmas.com (Vinyl) or

2. christmas-search.com (Bling) or

3. christmas.homeless.org.au (Dominic)

Lets get some consensus on this so everyone is on board before we move on please.

If you have posted in this thread already please comment.

Dominic, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  10. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It has to be manual. Otherwise, you could get external people 'doing damage' and that is my major concern in all this. I registered already :(, so you can 'ban' me if necessary.

NewComputer, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  11. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I think homeless-christmas.com

But also think that christmas-search has a lot of potential.

I would love to discuss that one with you TB at some point.

I've got some good ideas for that one.

SEbasic, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  12. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shall we finally finish that domain name issue and keep things going? homeless-christmas.com isnt mine, i just provided hosting. I also think writing priviledge shouldnt be automatical due to content abuse. NC, you are good with Mambo, can you handle approving users with somebody in a team?

vinyl, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  13. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    Help Desk, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  14. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    what's happening to all of this now?

I've pointed the domain as requested. We need content now - who's going to do that ?

If we have a holding page at least then everyone can donate links to it and we can get the adsense account

leeds1, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  15. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    Homeless-christmas.com has been setup. We need to get some people posting in it, and we need some Christams related articles.

Help Desk, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  16. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    This died pretty quickly.

Help Desk, Oct 1, 2004 IP
  17. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah... I'll write a post in my blog and get some links up to the site. It would be a shame to see this go to waste.

I'll get cracking tonight after work.

SEbasic, Oct 1, 2004 IP
  18. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would, but its obviously a fact due to complete inactivity of all people who promised that they will participate in this project (specially the ones who spoke about content all the time, until site was ready to accept all those numerous topics ;)) - leeds1, I suspended account, you can take it to another nameserver & use it for some other project of yours - I dont want to waste your domain on this. Maybe some generic, more IT related topic would pass better than christmass/homeless from content perspective... because this one seems to motive one big zero of article writers.

vinyl, Oct 29, 2004 IP
  19. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    There is no dutch guy in right? I am not a master in the American SEO things, but if you want this thing to work worldwide, I can sure do it nationally in The Netherlands too. Will be quite easy if you do the global things. :)

:)

Dirkjan, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  20. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    yep - it was a real shame that no-one bothered after all the hype.

I think I will build it up during next year for xmas 2005

Content welcomed !

leeds1, Nov 1, 2004 IP