1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO Challenge

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Help Desk, Aug 26, 2004.

1. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If no black hat cloaking - count me in.

I hope to have a sponsor link also, like anyone else who helps.

We can each do a page optimized for the keyword of Christmas and see whose page does the best on the GOOG or yahoo, etc...

Just need to have a templete so everypage remains the same in feel and navigation.

Maybe have up to 10 Christmas links on any given page and become some sort of directory???? Article type pages with links to sites selling items in the article??

throwing ideas around.

Anyways, what are the domain names you bought for this?

debunked, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  2. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Give me the domain name and I'll set up the host by tomorrow. I will also post the name servers here. PM if you want FTP access. Also we need a forum moderator and somebody to do the initial base page design. I envision each of having our own directory or subdomain where we can all put some sort of content.

Perhaps just a blog on the first screen with links to each of the deeper sections is best.

No cloaking.

Help Desk, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  3. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    OK OK...

Cloaking really isn't as bad as everyone makes out (As long as you don't abuse it), but I'm not to bothered about that.

Cloaking software produces masses of auto generated content that doesn't actually have to be cloaked.

Anyway, no biggie.

I agree with bling.

I think that a directory for each person to put content into would probabally be best...

Once you have your diectory, you can do what you like within it to try and generate traffic (With the exception of cloaking of course) ;)

This host, will it have CFML support, or just the basic php and sql?

Coldfusion would be great.

Anyway. I can help moderate the forum - I would do the design but really, It's not my strong point.

So how exactly is the site going to generate revenue?

Adsense of course, but that can't be the only way. The amazon idea is nice - like thinkbling...

I can get Mirago results on the site if we want to have a "christmas Search engine". That would be a great way to generate revenue...

I have a contact over at Mirago that I am sure would be happy for us to use the results on the site.

SEbasic, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  4. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is also important to note that the SEO efforts need to mainly be directed at the main page and not on of the sub-pages. Also this directory schema will allow us to have both comercial (buy this for you girlfriend type stuff) and public service (homeless on the holidays).

Mainly however this is to prove that "Distributed SEO" can work.

Help Desk, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's hope so...

Congrats on the Tauren BTW Bling.

SEbasic, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  6. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me know your needs, Im sure I can be of some help.

schlottke, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  7. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    Im good for links etc, maybe someone should add a poll and we can add up how many link we could expect to get

l234244, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  8. Geir

Geir Berserker

Best Answers:
    What a wonderful idea!
    Let's hope this becomes a massive success and generates tons of money for worthy causes.

I will be happy to provide links and help in any other way if needed...

:) Geir

Geir, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  9. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Good luck guys - it sounds good.
    I like the christmas idea.. unfortunately I don't have the time to participate.

Just a couple of observations if I may..

You're going to have to manage this - and the only way you're going to do that (take it from a developer who's used to distributed systems) is by centralizing site templating, authoring, advertising, affiliate, and user management.

You should definitely set up a CMS that allows individual directories/homepages etc. Oh and one more thing.. Google isn't the only engine you want to work with where seasonal/geo spending is concerned, so on-page seo IS going to be relevant.

Good luck guys (&gals) I hope you all remember that christmas is about charity, and make more than just the one statement :)

PS: Perhaps you should publish those domain names somewhere once you're up and running - I could probably send a few links your way.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    The project is going fast when I'm off early from work one day!

Few things:

I don't hink everyone's directory should be public. Then we will only compete against each other. It is better to come up with a list of a few dozen content/subject pages and let people pick what subject they want to work on (use Overture to make a list of 2, 3, 4 and 4+ keyphrases). The mainpage will be SEOed for just Christmas, the contentpages for these multiword phrases. That's how I had it in mind.

Template is important indeed. A desgin talent should step up and get one done so the rest can get going. If we bang on a forum just for us we can start one thread per page and comment on each others work to push it forward (it is mainly about learning for most). Then when most are happy with a page, get it live and kick off an off-page SEO campaign for it.

T0PS3O, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  11. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    BTW it is exactly 3 months till the start of December so keeping in mind the sandbox, irregular updates and the Christmas date (and shopping/searches starting halfway November) we better make a move indeed!

T0PS3O, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  12. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just got back from a week interstate and read this thread. You guys are really cooking here.

I'm in with support for the project and if some of the charitable dollars come our way that would be christmas.

Some content that may be useful would be places to volunteer to help the homeless at christmas (and throughout the year).

But a more commercial focus in terms of an affinity program (if you buy here a comish is given to charity for the homeless etc) would be sensible.

Am I right in saying the key objectives of this project so far are:
    1. Take down a big search result (e.g. christmas)
    2. Make as much money as possible as a result
    3. Donate the money to charity/ies for the homeless

PS - anyone not familiar with our charity for the homeless here is our homepage and some pictures and stories about the people we support.

If the project remains 100% charitable it will gain wide support / coverage and last from year to year.

Dominic, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  13. Dominic

Best Answers:
    In terms of getting a domain - why not use a subdirectory off our site?
    e.g. christmas.homeless.org.au (or other?)

As it is an established site (in search engine's eyes)
    and is credible in terms of charitable distributions

??? Would this be helpful?

PS - hosting of this site is already donated so there is no extra hosting cost involved.

Dominic, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  14. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Where is it hosted?

Hosted in the States would be best for targeting G.com users wouldn't it?

T0PS3O, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  15. Dominic

Best Answers:
    with www.hostway.com.au (not sure what country the servers are in - I'll find out)

edited addition: does this really matter though? With the support we will be able to get for the project I can't see it being a factor. At the end of the day - the project needs credability - the contributers will dictate where the money goes (e.g. to which charities), but if you want media exposure and participation / support from other charities it has to be legit without question.

Dominic, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  16. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    D, I think the idea here is to start from scratch, see how long it takes to get to #1 in the major SE's, see what works the best, etc... I maybe wrong, but that was my understanding.

NewComputer, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  17. Dominic

Best Answers:
    The offer is there and the subdomain doesn't yet exist ~ ?

Dominic, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  18. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'd agree with NC.

We have the domain names bought now so we may as well use them.

So what's happening. Where are new domains being pointed to? When do we get FTP access.

Have we got any takers for the actual site design yet?

I could have a stab but it really won't be all that.

We need someone who can actually design (Or maybe we could use a template design.

We do need a CMS to manage this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mambo is pretty good.

I have an idea that I am going to talk to my boss about. We have an in-house built CMS (Fully SEO'd, producing static url's etc...) that I might be able to use. I'd have to ask the boss. I'll keep you informed.
    I'm sure that for a few links we could use it.

Like I say, I'd have to run it past him.

SEbasic, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  19. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Someone mentioned dual Xeon earlier.

Can we host it there?

T0PS3O, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  20. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that everyone who is in on this should post a form of contact (MSN AIM ICQ - something like that).

That way we can actually talk about it all openly, without worring about posting passwords and FTP details ETC.

oweb_temp (@) hotmail (dot) com

That's my MSN sign in.

Let's get going with this. Like TOPS says, there really isn't all that much time before we can expect people to be doing searches.

SEbasic, Sep 2, 2004 IP